Thread: question about warcry and testudo

Senator

Default question about warcry and testudo

1) how exactly are you supposed to use warcry. It claims the attack is increased when it is activated. Can anyone with knowledge on this please explain or give some tips.

2) I've seen that troops get tired fast when moving in testudo, but I've also noticed that their fatigue level doesn't regenerate when standing in testudo. Can anyone confirm that this is true? or does it just take a lot longer for it to regenerate in testudo?

Default Re: question about warcry and testudo

i think the warcry should be activated befor you charge and then after they do there chant then you charge and get the attack increase. On the second question if you stay in testudo then they dont regenerate just imagen having to stand with a big heavy shield above you head and having to keep in formation as well i think i would be tired lol
    My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I don't think warcry really boosts attack, it just gives like a burst of strength when they charge, and it also increases the morale of nearby units.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

1.) I use the warcry just before I order my men to charge, but the enemy has to be close because I'm pretty sure the effect wears off if you don't start fighting immediately after.

2.) It makes sense that they tire quickly. Like lucasmaximuse said they're holding shields over their heads for hours.

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

1) Warcry gives temporary attack bonus, but on top of this, it can give a morale boost for your army, and a morale loss for the opposing army.

2) When they're in Testudo, it's basically like them running, only slower. If you keep them in it constantly, then there will be no regeneration because it's like them running constantly. I have found though that when they're standing still in testudo, they tire more slowly.

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

warcry does not give a morale loss to the enemy, only a morale and and attack increse for the unit that activates it (not for the entire army)

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

Really? Hmm, I could have sworn that I read in the description that it has the chance of startling the enemy.

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

Senator

thanks guys. i guess my questions got answered

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus_A View Post
    Really? Hmm, I could have sworn that I read in the description that it has the chance of startling the enemy.
    there's an attribute that reduces enemy morale but it's unrelated to warcry.

Quote Originally Posted by avesta View Post
    1) how exactly are you supposed to use warcry. It claims the attack is increased when it is activated. Can anyone with knowledge on this please explain or give some tips.
    Warcry increases the attack of the unit by 10, but it only lasts a couple of minutes. To use it effectively u must activate it right before u charge in combat, as it doesnt last very long and u cant activate it once in hand to hand combat.

2) I've seen that troops get tired fast when moving in testudo, but I've also noticed that their fatigue level doesn't regenerate when standing in testudo. Can anyone confirm that this is true? or does it just take a lot longer for it to regenerate in testudo?
    Testedo units get tired very fast while moving in testedo. Fatigue is not regenerated while in testedo. Testedo units that sit idle in testedo get tired but very slowly. After some testing ive noticed that testedo units that have good stamina tire much slower while in testedo(not moving) and never get tired passed "warmed up", while testedo units that do not have good stamina tire faster and can get as tired as "exhausted" when in testedo (not moving)

Hope this helps

Firstly warcry does not increase attack neither charge nor moral of the friendly army. But it is the most useful way to descrease enemy moral and instantly make them rout. It is the most useful after chariots. I engage my units with the enemy and when they are winded, I use warcry with 1 unit which is not engaged, thats a 100% sure enemy rout for me. It is even better than screeching women or druids.
    Secondly about the testudo, I have to agree, units tire faster.
    I was born chivalrous, but situations made me a dreaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Summitz View Post
    Firstly warcry does not increase attack
    Yes it does

warcry is 2 b activated seconds bfore u charge/countercharge. As 4 testudo, yes, they tire from holding their shields in postition, but testudo is for missile defense. dont use it unless badly needed, bcause a testudo cant fight in melee. hope this helps

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

use warcry when you are near the enemy - it raises your men's morale, lowers theirs (and it does work!) and may even raise their attack, though i dont think thats the case.

of course you get tired in testudo - its like holding your hand up in class for ages, but 10 times worse! (holding a shield, hot, wearing armour, etc) So it's also logical that they don't recover like this either - and testudoes really shouldnt be moved unless it's just a pace to the side and the enemy are far away.
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Njord's Avatar Civis

Warcry raises morale slightly, and it beefs up attack quite considerably. It lasts for just over a minute though and the best results are from using a warcry line to fix an enemy in place while the secondary warcry line flanks.

In short a woad warrior unit that uses warcry will withstand a cataphract charge, where as a normal woad warrior unit would route.

Looks like there is a distinct uncertainty about warcry, seeing as there are so many contradictory opinions. :hmmm: