Thread: Unspecified error - Stainless Steel 6.4 + Meloo fix

Icon9 Unspecified error - Stainless Steel 6.4 + Meloo fix

Hey all. Long time player here.

Recently got the itch again so fresh installed the game and the latest Stainless Steel download. Started playing but the campaign is absolutely riddled with 'Unspecified errors' and the game then exits. Happens at various different times, from ending turn to starting and ending battles. I never used to have this issue when I used to play, and it's just unplayable right now.

There are a handful of threads about this but most have very few replies and are very old. Is anyone out there able to help? This is driving me mad and stopping me from playing this fantastic game

A little bit about installation process: installed the game on Steam, downloaded SS from these forums, ran the installer into the Medieval 2 location and that's about it. Game plays fine for a while, then the errors begin.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unspecified error - Stainless Steel 6.4 + Meloo fix

It sounds like you used my installer but did not apply the 'loading screen crash' patch. You'll find it in the post below the installer.

I always recommend to use compatibility and set it to win7, together with admin rights, disable full screen optimization and application controlled DPI.

Last not least apply LAA to the game's (not mod's!) executable files.

Still happens </3
    Last edited by Martyn_47; October 27, 2023 at 07:41 PM.

I installed on my laptop to see if it happened on a different machine and the same thing happened there, no idea if that helps - perhaps it suggests I'm doing something wrong during installation?