Page 235 of 235 FirstFirst ... 135185210225226227228229230231232233234235
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 4690

Thread: Medieval II Mod Questions & Recommendations

Default Re: Medieval II Mod Questions & Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    yep
    And again I thank you. Maybe, o magnificent sir, by any chance you know the similar (and maybe even better) Pike & Shot modifications for other parts of TW series? Or M2TW is still the best foundation for any mods dealing with medieval stuff (since Pike & Shot era deals with it a lot)?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Flagris View Post
    And again I thank you. Maybe, o magnificent sir, by any chance you know the similar (and maybe even better) Pike & Shot modifications for other parts of TW series? Or M2TW is still the best foundation for any mods dealing with medieval stuff (since Pike & Shot era deals with it a lot)?
    imo, Empire even with DarthMod is the worst TW ever (and it's not Pike&?Shot). I suspect Warhammer may be considered as P&S, but I'm not interested in non-historical games.
    for R2TW and Attila I have no knowledge of any similar mod.

You may also have a look at 1648 by Gigantus. It's for Medieveal 2.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    the Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project,
    and the Broken Crescent + Buff and Shine.
    ........................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Pros and cons of having merchants in an M2TW mod. Arguments against the forts in M2TW.
    Home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. No good mod yet, alas!
    Dominant strategy in Rome 2 TW and Attila TW: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!
    .................................................................................................................................................................................
    Developer of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, script fixing, guides, historical improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Jurand of Cracow,
    You are the main man I look to for advice on mods as your comments are always well-thought out and in depth. So thanks for that. But I wonder why still no mention of Bulat Steel. The latest version is totally in English and even has it's own forum here at TWC, though still surprisingly not a very active forum.
    Hi Kilogore,
    I've been thinking what to answer you as I've tried once play BS in Russian and I failed - it was too tedious to read the letters and at the same time try to imagine what does it mean in term of the game. I was also fed up with the complete lack of historicity of the Polish faction (and a Russian team should not be so bad in this aspect - Poland was one of the closest neighbour in the Middle Ages). Furtheremore, I've recalled vaguagely that the forum was closed for some time for the IPR-like reasons.
    Fortunately, two very good players have just voiced their opinions in the BS thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Der Böse Wolf View Post
    Regarding Bulat Steel:

You know that I am a big fan of BGR V.
    I have also tested SSHIP and still following the project and waiting for the final release.

I look for historical game-play (EBII), slow-paced campaign, I put a ton of house rules, no exploits, winning is not my objective but enjoying the game with a focus on RP and character development.

Bulat Steel is a fantastic mod as, beyond the beautiful graphics, whether on the units, the cities or the campaign map, it offers a very entertaining campaign, with a variety of scripts (for the economy, the military, the historical aspect...) which add lots of depth to the game-play.

In Bulat Steel I find many of the things I like from other mods, combined in one:

- Navigable rivers: like in DLV
    - Garrison script for ALL settlements
    - Intelligent recruitment of troops and upkeep, much like in SSHIP
    - BGR Supply and field morale
    - In-depth historical details and explanations for the regions, dynasties and characters like in EBII
    - Very good BAI
    - Very good CAI (Piter AI and Beermugs AI - did not test their own advanced AI, which is a DLC.
    - Beautiful unit skins, buildings, a complete overhaul like in EBII
    - Eastern factions are so unique like never before. A LOT of work has been put into them (other factions as well, of course, but eastern factions were always done negligibly in other mods). There are 3 "russian factions": Novgorod, Kievan Rus and Vladimir-Suzdal.
    - A smart, special, scripted mongol AI which makes the invasion really scary and effective
    - A complete re-balance of unit stats which improves battle a lot in a more logical way
    - Public order penalty in conquered regions like in SSHIP
    - Assassins can be recruited only from dungeons, not from brothels or inns (where you can only recruit spies). It is a nice feature so you have to build these to get your assassins. I have never ever build a dungeon in all my games in other mods before. Now this building is important.
    - Specific buildings needed for special purposes: for example; the imperial palace in Constantinople to recruit the Guards of the Basileus.
    - The next in throne feature to choose the next heir.
    - Great music options.
    - Coronation of the heir: a great feature which, if coronation doesn't happen on time, will negatively affect the new ruler (authority)
    - Dynasties and dynastic marriages like in Hispannia in the Middle ages mod.
    - Character traits which depend on the actions of the generals
    - Character ranks and development
    - Very nice optional scripts like:
    > random rebel attacks on your cities: rebels, representing small local rebellions are now a threat and not just random mini-armies occupying watchtowers.
    > resistance after the fall of the capital: two AI armies are spawned to try and recapture the AI capital if the player conquers it.
    > Inflation script
    > Cuman Raids on the Rus
    > Resistance to Jihad/Crusade: AI gets more armies to defend.
    > Military aid for small factions so they can survive
    > Difficult economy script which reduces income, slightly, from trade, a bit like in 1648: 30 years war, but not so drastic.
    > and a few more

- A very nice campaign map with an EXCELLENT feature: troops cannot embark/disembark on ships anywhere on the maps. It is only possible on sandy beaches where the small boats which will transport the troops to the ship can beach.
    On the campaign map, many shores are rocky and you cannot embark/disembark there. This is very immersive. It's details like these that makes a game awesome.
    In my House Rules troops can only embark/disembark in ports.
    But when there are no ports or when outside my settlements, the beach feature is indeed fantastic.
    The map is so wll done and the shores look great with rocky and sandy beaches.

--

I have only played with the Eastern Roman Empire, but did take a look at other faction and they look great.

Something I don't like
    - 2-turns per year: characters age very quickly. I prefer 4-turns per year

Something which can be added/improved
    - Siege costs and army field costs, like what is planned with SSHIP and existing in the excellent Italian Wars by Aneirin: a siege costs 1000 Gold per turn for example.
    This can be combined with BGR supply system or done like in SSHIP, where the traits of the General influence the cost of the siege or field costs.
    - Native voices for each faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    About this modification:

It is based on copying and using parts of other modifications, there is probably permission for most of the material, but you need to understand that this is not an achievement of the mod team.

A few points in brief:

1-based on another modification, this is a regular submod
    2- historicity, it is not here.
    3 - units, this is all or small retexture or just units from other modifications.
    4- AI:
    as elsewhere, and when you consider that different AIs are switched through the launcher, you don’t need to evaluate anything, everyone knows how they work. It is worth adding only that probably some of these IIs are poorly adapted to the conditions of this modification since its developers do not bother with such things.
    5- crashes, they exist and the developers have no idea how to fix them
    6- balance, you can’t call it good, there is also a rebalance in which there is no connection between units and characteristics at all.
    7- scripts, these are just copies from other modifications, while the adaptation and optimization of most of them were not the developers of the mod.

8- distribution model:
    To the modification there are paid dlc, actively promoted by the developers. These dlc scripts for enhancing fractions, sets of portraits, music, etc. Naturally, the developers have no copyrights for this, and paid scripts are presented as a natural and necessary part of the modification.
    9- the ratio of developers to users:
    I often observe a situation where the developer (LEEKAA) replied to the messages saying that the mod is too easy or boring to play: “boring? Take money from your mother and buy dlc” - this is clearly the wrong approach, the developer also actively insults those who speaks out about the modification negatively and has already been banned for this more than once on one of the Total War forums (imtw.ru).

10-permission to use the content, it is strange to hear this from modders whose creation is entirely based on copying:
    All materials that are in Bulat Steel (version 2.1.5 or less) are forbidden to use in other mods. (even if you ask permission - my answer is NO). I am the leader of our team and this is my final decision.

Output:
    Of course, a completely terrible modification cannot be obtained if you take and collect material from a huge number of other modders. But if at the same time you yourself do not understand anything in modding and only deal with copying, collecting donations, selling DLCs and banning negative opinions, then nothing good will come of it either. In my opinion, the mod, despite the abundance of material is below average quality, and given its "innocent features" and the inclinations of its creator, it should be considered disgusting at all.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 27, 2020 at 03:28 AM.

Flagis,
    I strongly recommend that you also try Italian Wars 1493-1459. It's in Russian, but if you can deal with that, it's incredible.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...%3B-1493-1559)

Jurand of Cracow,
    Thanks for posting those two very opposing evaluations of Bulat Steel. I still haven't played it yet as I am always preoccupied with making small changes to my versions of SS6.4 with BGRIV and BGRV, but I still plan to give it a try some day, just as I am much looking forward to the next version of SHIPP that includes kostic's new models along with Sillygoy's edu changes and your new traits and ancillaries.

It does appear that Der Bose Wolf has played and really like the mod, while youneuoy seems to mostly be upset about the hypocrisy of the creators (it's not clear how much he has actually played it). Italian Wars 1493-1559 and New Tueton do not have English translations and so are quite problematic in that way, but their creators may not be as unprincipled as the creators of Bulat Steel. Anyway, thanks again for the post!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; July 07, 2020 at 03:01 AM.
    Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's tribulation: not because any man's troubles are a delectable joy, but because to perceive from what ills you are free yourself is pleasant - Lucretius

I am much looking forward to the next version of SHIPP that includes kostic's new models along with Sillygoy's edu changes and your new traits and ancillaries.
    This will be SSHIP version 098. The version 097 will feature my changes but no kostic's models.

It does appear that Der Bose Wolf has played and really like the mod, while youneuoy seems to mostly be upset about the hypocrisy of the creators (it's not clear how much he has actually played it). Italian Wars 1493-1559 and New Tueton do not have English translations and so are quite problematic in that way, but their creators may not be as unprincipled as the creators of Bulat Steel. Anyway, thanks again for the post!
    Yeah, I also read their OPs in this way. For me the problem is that I know how many bugs lurk under the hood of the base Stainless Steel's EDCT and EDA (traits and ancillaries). I've seen fixes to these problems in Titanium (made by Meloo, it's such a pity he's retired) but I haven't seen them in the Bulat Steel. Eg. the number of Hearts of the princesses is quite unrelated from how many "charms" they have (due to the AT-NCB programming bug). I agree with DBW that the number of the scripts and improvements is amazing and may provide for a great gameplay.

Kilgore Trout,
    I agree with you that Italian Wars 1493-1559 is an good modification (in the first place, unit models and their balance are very distinguished).
    The developer is well versed in history and tries to match it.
    I would not call New Tueton a good mod, in fact, it is about the same as Bulat Steel, but a little simpler and without paid DLC.
    Jurand of Cracow

You can look at several entries from online battles on the modification of Italian Wars 1493-1559 to get an idea of it. Here, for example, a battle from a single player campaign with online battles (this campaign also compiles something like AAR, though it is in Russian).

Here, the option of recording an online battle from a player passing the campaign (Xamax, he plays Spain) and from me (Tunisia, the second army of Tunisia is controlled by Torpedniy_Kater).
    The version of the mod from this video is slightly rebalanced for this campaign, in the original version from Lezvie its outcome would be different.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On our YouTube channels you can find other battles from this modification.

There are some problems in the modification(these are high system requirements, as well as a specific balance of the economy and the characteristics of the units - this is a fully informed decision of the developer), but in general, everything looks pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    This will be SSHIP version 098. The version 097 will feature my changes but no kostic's models.

Yeah, I also read their OPs in this way. For me the problem is that I know how many bugs lurk under the hood of the base Stainless Steel's EDCT and EDA (traits and ancillaries). I've seen fixes to these problems in Titanium (made by Meloo, it's such a pity he's retired) but I haven't seen them in the Bulat Steel. Eg. the number of Hearts of the princesses is quite unrelated from how many "charms" they have (due to the AT-NCB programming bug). I agree with DBW that the number of the scripts and improvements is amazing and may provide for a great gameplay.
    Yes, one of the developers of earlier versions of Bulat Steel boasted to the developers of Bulat Steel 2.1.x that he had found a solution to one of the critical bugs, maybe this is it (he did not share the solution because of the conflicts that constantly occurs around this modification ) Although there are enough problems there and without this, it seems that nobody is going to solve these problems.
    Last edited by youneuoy; July 07, 2020 at 02:26 PM.

Hi guys. I am not very savvy in mods so i need your help.

So i like to play MTW2 using Steam-stream feature (remote play) on my laptop (the game itself is running on my pc). But i would like to install some good mod on my MTW2 like StainlessSteel or something else...

So my question is how can i play mod using Steam-remote-play feature (Stream)??? Is there any solution to this?

And my second question is why i don't see StainlessSteel mod section on that forum anymore?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by antonvix View Post
    Hi guys. I am not very savvy in mods so i need your help.
    So i like to play MTW2 using Steam-stream feature (remote play) on my laptop (the game itself is running on my pc). But i would like to install some good mod on my MTW2 like StainlessSteel or something else...
    So my question is how can i play mod using Steam-remote-play feature (Stream)??? Is there any solution to this?
    And my second question is why i don't see StainlessSteel mod section on that forum anymore?
    Thank you
    I don’t know how the steam remote play function works, but if there is no way to run the .bat modification file, then you can edit the launch parameters of the game in the Steam library (does this still remain possible?)
    An example of how this might look:

When starting the game, select option # 1

Hi guys,

It seems I am very picky, because unfortunately, I bounce off of most mods available/listed here.
    Imho, I've only encountered 3 fully developed mods out there:

• Divide and Conquer (other than T&C issues, the only drawback is how vast the map is)
    • Europa Barbarorum II (AAA quality; but siege battles last so long, scripts are overwhelming, and the music is... not good)
    • Rise of Three Kingdoms (again; only if unit cards (fixed in 4.1!) units introduced themselves in battles. And performance issues, the unit models are SO detailed)

Strong contenders and almost-polished mods:

• Broken Crescent (great idea, amazing music, historically accurate (although I am an absolute layman when it comes to middle-east history, so I can't really judge). I dislike the UI and units that don't talk, it takes all immersion out of me.

• Bulat Steel (others have reviewed it way better, so I just leave it here. I didn't like it, it feels overloaded.

• For King or Country (made with very high quality, so much it could have been an another official expansion if worked further upon. Unfortunately, there are only few units (which don't talk) and only 2 factions (not even rebels) so the gameplay is quite stale. In addition, I dislike completely removed unit banners, as I can't see what's happening in battles.

• Rule Britannia (I can't say it's polished (tropical palms in Ireland etc.) but apart from these and other issues, this is Stainless Steel meets Creative Assembly's Britannia.

• Stainless Steel submods
    • SSHIP; well thought out, very immersive and stable, with a beautiful map. Might be going to the top, but I'm biased here Drawbacks: few unit cards, Medieval 2 wasn't designed for this amount of traits (lots of scrolling)
    • Titanium; less hardcore than SSHIP, great design, siege battles are really dangerous, map is on pair with SSHIP. Drawbacks: unfinished and lots of bugs

• Third Age Total War submods
    • DCI; looks very promising, I'm waiting till it's out of beta.
    • MOS; awful turn times (it lasts minutes!), bland faction icons - otherwise full of interesting role play.
    • Unofficial Patch; great ruin feature and lots of new settlements and areas filling the map. Drawbacks: boring music, no invasions, mutilated dwarven factions

• Total Vanilla Beyond (casual mod, as the title suggests it's meant to be Medieval 2++. And it is! But while it looks great on the surface, containing everything in one game, it isn't very polished. Units and factions are "thrown in" and very unbalanced, most voices are missing, music choice isn't the best and there are of course stability issues. But considering it was done by 1 person AFAIK, it's absolutely worth admiring. It's only a shame developement is labeled finished.

• Vanilla Kingdoms (not seen anywhere on TWC nor Moddb but clearly made with Geomod and very good. It basically adds Kingdoms factions to vanilla campaign. Not even unit voices are missing! Could be played as-is (if vanilla Medieval 2 is your thing) or as a base for some easy modding. I found it by accident on some yt channel and it's listed as made by "Pike".
      ;
      I even made a neat submod: JLMPs vk submod fixed.zip
      *points 3 ,6, 8, 9, 10 indicate work of others, therefore are not included and mere suggestion

• With Fire and Sword 2 (this one actually isn't very playable, but what's strange about it, however, is its authors seem to have done the most troublesome work (map, 2d art, models, scripting) while abandoning the relatively lighter work (translation, text, sounds). It's literally so close yet so far from being finished. If it was so, it would easily surpass 1648 mod. And Empire game too.
    Last edited by Just let me post; July 26, 2020 at 06:56 AM. Reason: updated

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    I don’t know how the steam remote play function works, but if there is no way to run the .bat modification file, then you can edit the launch parameters of the game in the Steam library (does this still remain possible?)
    An example of how this might look:

When starting the game, select option # 1
    It shouldn't really be necessary to go into the launch option of Steam - it's huge back draw is that it will limit you to playing just that one mod and users tend to forget about it and wonder why their new mod doesn't work. All you have to really do is to make a copy of the medieval2 executable and rename it kingdoms. The principle (with automated installer) is described here.

I recently repacked Third Age and Stainless Steel and the two are now fully Steam compatible without further input.

In short: if you get an error message saying that kingdoms.exe couldn't be found then simply apply my guide.