Thread: AI

Default AI

Hello.

I got this game a couple of weeks ago, but I must say that so far I haven't got a single good experience with MTW at all. Okay, a number of interesting battles, but that's it.

As an old "fanatic" of RTW, great game btw, I decided to go with the same difficulty like I used to play with: VH/VH.

I started with England. After some turns I conquered York, Caernarvon and Dublin, and was waiting for Scotland to break neutral, so I could kick them out.

Then the next turn I saw two ships. One from Spain and one from Portugal, after a close inspection they was both fulled with stacks of armies. The next two turns they both laid siege to Dublin (only two armies there), but I was lucky enough to get the main army up and strike them both back.
    Then Denmark docked a full stack army in London and laid seige to that one, and south in Cannes, the french decided to invade with two full stack armies.

??????

The next game I tried it was the exact same experience. Although I figured out to get some ships between the Rennes coastal northern border and the London western coastal border to block eventual ships that would launch attacks on Caen.

But it is utterly stupid that I can see the ships coming closer, but I can just sit there.. Attacking would probably end in being ex'ed, it would be great to avoid that..

What to do?

- Sorry for bad grammar/spelling -

Default Re: AI

I wish that happened to me...my problem with the AI is that they are too passive and never start anything. I would suggest getting all the available patches and maybe toning down the difficulty a bit. What difficulty were you playing at, VH?! That's the same one I play at and I never get attacked like you! *jealous*
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 15, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

They way I understand it VH is quite an "unrealistic" setting. Basically just gang warfare targetting you, they get loads of cash and you get next to nowt.

Still happy with Medium at the moment.
    "If You FAIL TO PLAN Then You PLAN TO FAIL"

rhoq's Avatar Laetus

Try to get some alliances as a first thing. Since you will expand over France HRE, Milan and Spain are good choices. Also you can use mods using different AI's or use Ultimate AI or XAI over retrofit.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I do M/VH and sometimes H/VH. Makes the AI less ultra-handicapped and less likely to gang up on you, but battles can still turn from your favor quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Veryhard is for those people that want to die and just WARWARWAR.

If your playing Vanilla, slap yourself.

I strongly suggest going down to Hard, its far more realistic if you wanted a more role-playing type feel.

Also what I do sometimes is add_money 40000 and do that about 5 times, then I send diplomats to the 4 corners of the map, and give some factions 200'000 florins.

Example, If im english I would send a diplomat to say, Hungary, then the Moors, then Turks, give each faction 200'000 gold, they should be able to dominate over their neighbors and they will soon become a challenge for you when you reach their borders.

-Wheelchair
    >>>>> METAL BLOGGGGGGGG <<<<<

I <3 Student Loans
    EVGA GTX580 1.5GB GPU
    AMD Phenom II 955BE C3 3.2GHz @ 19c idle
    16GB G.skill 1600MHz RAM DDR3
    Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Storage Drives
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Asus 2x24" Vertical Monitors + 1 Sony EX500 46" LCD TV
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

Bell FiberOP Internet 70mbps DOWN 30mbps UP

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

I haven't yet completed a VH/VH campaign in M2TW (time constraints), but have completed many VH/VH campaigns in RTW. So far the difficulties seem similar between the two games.

Your England experience seems odd. Did you, by any chance, sell or trade your map info? That seems to bring 'em running. You only have to give it away once to one faction. They re-sell it; and soon everyone with a free stack wants a part of you.

Get alliances and get trade rights with everyone you can.

And, yeah, I would recommend going up in difficulty more slowly. Do a H/H campaign, and then move up to H (campaign) / VH (battle).
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old Geezer's Avatar Senator

You were just having beginner's luck. I can't get more than one of those 4 to ever attack me, even with no alliances.

Are you patched to 1.2?

blekaut's Avatar Biarchus

God I'd love the campaing to be that intense. As pontifex said most of the time the AI is too passive. I suggest you play at M/VH so the AI doesn't get tons of gold and a bunch of other handicaps. Oh and if you find it too easy on M/VH I suggest you give the AI some time to develop and it should make the game better and more interesting.

Thx for the replies..

I tried out a H/VH campaign, and so far I am pleased to see that I don't get attacked by everyone from the Iberian peninsula.
    Although Portugal still have a crazy idea, that expanding into France is the best to do..

NobleNick: I never sell map info. Didn't knew the opponent could re-sell it to other factions? I don't like the idea with too many alliances though.

I am patched to v1.2, but running vanilla atm (I just got the game) ,)

VH/VH is nice cos you don't have to worry about diplomacy.

hell the AI is never passive with me, I just had France, HRE, Denmark, Milian, and Venice open war on my poor polish Empire. I wasnt even going west i went east to crush russia and then south to take the middle east and the turks out and then fortifiy it against the mongols, next thing i know my wesern European boarder is a war zone.