Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: God's Weird/Obscure Music Reviews

Default Re: God's Weird/Obscure Music Reviews

Yeah that would really be exciting and interesting to write and read , not to mention listening .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; April 05, 2012 at 04:53 AM.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Really obscure stuff. Most genres aren't my taste but it's good to see these kind of bands actually exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I approve of this thread.

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Danke schon. One day soon I might even update it.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Bloody Better! Review Mark Fry's Dreaming With Alice!

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Danke schon. One day soon I might even update it.
    I gave up on that

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This is an awesome thread.

I don't know why I haven't said that before.

Hey, God, something epic happened yesterday - there's someone with very good taste working in Lisbon's Underground. They were playing Boards of Canada in the speakers. I was amazed!

Cannibalking's Avatar Biarchus

Is it just me or is White Noise possibly the best thing to happen to the recreational acid tripper?

It very possibly is. The second half of the album is pretty scary for altered states though! Shpongle are equally as trippy too, I reviewed them somewhere in here.

Someday I'll update this thread. I can't really justify writing a review when I have a dissertation that needs writing though.

Cannibalking's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    It very possibly is. The second half of the album is pretty scary for altered states though! Shpongle are equally as trippy too, I reviewed them somewhere in here.

Someday I'll update this thread. I can't really justify writing a review when I have a dissertation that needs writing though.
    Ah yes, that's much more important. I actually listened and watched the video for White Noise - Your Hidden Dream when I was altered a couple days ago. I couldn't even handle the video, it was genuinely scary.

Could you review Meshuggah ? They fall very good into the Wierd/Obscure Category .

Might reply 'Dreaming with Alice' later, I do really really love that album. Meshuggah... maybe. I'm not the biggest fan but they're pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane
    Some DUB maybe?
    Nearly!

Dadawah ~Peace and Love (1974)
    Roots Reggae/Nyabinghi

Reggae is, in general, a very samey genre. It's probably the reason that every reggae song on youtube has been at some point or another falsely attributed to Bob Marley. That, or Bob Marley is the only reggae artist anyone knows. Either way, the point stands; there's only so much you can do with the simple bassline and a few chords on the off-beat formula, even if the formula works well.

Dadawah's 'Peace and Love' is roots reggae, but manages to have a unique sound that only the newest to reggae music could confuse with Bob Marley on a mislabelled youtube video. Dadawah (real name Ras Michael) mixes reggae with a type of Rastafarian religious music called nyahbinghi which is played in Rastafarian ceremonies. This nyahbinghi influence is what gives the album it's unique sound. Instead of a standard drum-kit the percussion is played almost entirely with bongos with just a few cymbal hits added sparsely. The excellent drumming drives the gripping and, importantly, extremely deep basslines forward.

Instead of consisting of short catchy songs, 'Peace & Love' contains just four tracks, the shortest one lasting nearly 8 minutes and the others all around 10 minutes long. This structure gives the songs time to lock into hypnotic grooves and with just 4 tracks the album is over before the effect wears off. Unlike the rest of the genre, there is no rhythm guitar on the offbeat. Instead, an electric guitar adds bluesy melodies and licks. An organ adds more melodies to the mix, and at some points briefly plays the reggae rhythm guitar role.

'Peace and Love' is a sincerely religious album, so anyone that doesn't like God in their music will automatically be put off, although this shouldn't be a problem for reggae fans. All of the songs praise Jah and call for peace and equality. The lyrics wouldn't seem out of place in any reggae album, but here they deal entirely with Rastafarianism and nothing else. Ras Michael's vocals are supplemented with chanted backing vocals which add perfectly to the deeply spiritual atmosphere of the music. Despite the positive lyrics, the sound is gloomy and dark.

The album owes a lot of its success to the fantastic almost dubby production, which has an atmosphere that rivals the classics produced by Lee Perry. Every sound is heavily reverbed and hazy and the vocals are at times distant and spaced out. This production added to the long droning songs gives the album a very psychedelic and ritualistic sound that fits the mood perfectly. Its unconventional and uncommercial sound means it won't appeal to every reggae fan, but 'Peace and Love' deserves to be listened to by anyone who likes the genre, or really anyone with headphones capable of playing heavy bass.

1/2 / 5

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Run Come Rally

Seventy Two Nations

Zion Land
    Last edited by God; May 05, 2012 at 11:03 PM.