Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RS 1.5c] Jingle_Bomb's Greek Cities Hoplite mod NOW UPDATED v1.1

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default [RS 1.5c] Jingle_Bomb's Greek Cities Hoplite mod NOW UPDATED v1.1

Hoplite Mod for RS

Updated: Version 1.1, now adds the short_pike attribute to all hoplites in the game apart from the overhead City hoplites, for more realistic hoplite phalanxes. This has been done for hoplites of all factions including Greeks, Pergamum, Syracuse and Bosphorans.

I have also enabled the Greek City Hoplites for use in custom battles. Didn't you think it odd before that in custom battles, Syracuse and Pergamum couldn't select their OWN hoplite units? Well now they can. It will hopefully breathe a little life into Roma Surrectum before RS2 comes along.

Instructions:

Extract the ZIP archive to your Roma Surrectum 'data' folder and click 'yes' to overwrite. In case of any problems, make a backup of your export_descr_unit.txt file.

Before you extract it to your data folder, delete the 'HOPLITE MOD' part on the end of the name of the text document enclosed within the ZIP archive, so that the game will recognise it.

Download link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2007

Some Pictures of the mod in action:

Changed Hoplites:

Recreate the epic Pelopponesian war between Sparta and Athens:

The Soldiers of Cyprus boldly defend their homes from the Ptolemaic invaders:

Hoplites of Syracuse battle the Carthaginians:

Hope you enjoy this simple modification,
    Jingle_Bombs
    Last edited by Jingles; August 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Jingle_Bomb's Greek Cities Hoplite mod

Interesting - what advantages does this give the Greeks, considering the abundance of city hoplites in the area?
    Also do the greeks now have any phalanx hoplites (I assume they do, but can't remember off the top of my head).
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

1. The advantage this confers, is probably not immediate, since the Greek's starting pos is full of city hoplite recruitment areas, however there are two distinct advantages, the first being that city hoplites need to be sent back to the city they were recruited from for retraining, whereas these basic hoplites don't. It also means that for this reason, it makes longer campaigns in more distant territories a little easier for the greeks to recruit and retrain their armies in areas where are there no local city hoplites. This of course only makes a difference if you are like me, and prefer to play the greeks as a very mobile and flexible army, leaving the phalanx stuff for the successor factions.

2. No, as a result of this mod, The greeks won't get any phalanx formation units (unless there is one I overlooked).

1. Very true, although I fear this will make the Greek late game fairly easy.

2. I've checked the EDU, you seem to be correct, although Mercenary hoplites can be recruited and they have long pikes.

I'm still in two minds as to whether this is a good thing or not, do you know if this affects auto-resolve battles (thinking about how this will affect the GCS when controlled by the AI)?
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

so they dont explode

"SHUT UP, I KEEL YOU!"

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Mjr Phil's Avatar Civis

Can Armored Hoplites be made able to form phalanx? I believe they have the ability accordig to unit card, but in reality they don't.

that's true, but that will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

@nellup, it shouldn't make the late game any easier than it is for, say, the seleucids, or most other factions. You'll still be obliged to build the city hoplites, because they all have much better stats than the basic hoplites. As for the AI's use of them, I don't yet know if this willl be affected, I guess I'll just have to find out.

I've been playing around, and I've decided I'd also like to make an alternate mod where ALLl the hoplites can form phalanx, possibly including the city ones. Here are my intitial tests, tell me what you guys think (keep in mind these are looking quite bizarre as I haven't yet changed the animations).

Spartans pawning some carthaginian phalangites:

Armoured hoplites in phalanx mode.

The main thing here is wondering wether it's worth changing the anims or not, is it just me or does the overhead phalanx actually look kinda cool?

I think that you ought to change the animations - as cool as it looks, it also looks strange and it is impossible to hold a pike like that, you'd never keep the pointy bit up from the ground.

point taken. Now I just gotta work out how to change the animations. I think somone said how to change the spartans to underhand a while back so I think I'll hunt around the forums. The good news is that this should work perfect with the athenians and rhodians etc that already use underhand.

Mjr Phil's Avatar Civis

As for animations, I think spartan hoplites holding pikes vertically in non-phalanx mode would look ridiculous. And isn't it that animation schemes cannot be merged? So either they have phalanx and look unrealistic without animations changed, or look ridiculous in non-phalanx mode plus getting some penalty in h2h combat unless using swords, right? In that case I'd leave spartans as they are, since I believe they are valuable offensive maneuverable troops.

You're absolutley right, not to mention the fact that even if I could get the anims right, they still hold both their normal spear and the pike at the same time. Best left alone I think.

Updated.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

I think that Syracusian hoplite units shouldn't be able to form a phalanx either. Weren't they a more conservative fighting force like their mainland counterparts?

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Bump...so this thread isn't neglected.

Edit:Is there a possibility of a mini-mod sub-forum so that these don't get lost in the sea of threads? I've seen four or five mini-mods come out in the last couple months and most of them have been lost.
    Last edited by icydawgfish; April 05, 2008 at 12:22 PM.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Sounds like a good idea. A sub-forum for strategy guides would be good as well - although we only currently have 2 (The Auxilia one by Century and the Codex De something-or-other by Ian what's-his-face (I'm not good with names)).
    It might spur people to write more.

For those that have dowloaded this mod, I apologise that Rome and such factions can use the city hoplites in custom battles, but If I changed it, they would lose the ability to recruit them in campaign.

Glad you guys like it.

To make the overhead pahalanx look even cooler do this

stat_pri_attr spear, short_pike

if give them short pike the will always be in phalanx (then can run in it(duble speed)) then if u change the skelton to FS_javalinman or Fs_s1_hoplite
    they will hold their spear over the head

Updated to version 1.1

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Jingle_Bomb's Greek Cities Hoplite mod NOW UPDATED v1.1

So what has actually changed?? Will they now use shorter spears then those in the pics above? And will all hoplites now use the overhand animation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast