Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defeating the Scythians

Default Re: anti-scythia

guess its a good plan but Scythia's horse archers r the best aprt form those mercenary ones.

whats the make up of your army infantry wise?

and yeah unfortunately thrace cannot horde

Well, the composition of my infantry army would depend on the enemy. I am still early in the game, so I still use some Thrace light cavalry, war band, and bastarnae guys, but I have access to helenic units now (peltasts, militia hoplites, and slingers etc). So, my army become more and more helenic (and, I love using slingers). I am waiting for thracian thorakitai. Those are tough bastards.

BTW, just captured first Scytian city in my Thrace game. After some fighting on my territory, with a mixed army of Thrace light cavalry (5 units), two mercenary horse archers, 5 units of slingers and 4 units of barbarian spearmen, managed to route a Scythian army. Had a tough fight in the open. Had a draw. (Never had a draw in my life.) So, even that army was not a perfect solution

Retrained same army and decided to gamble and move into Scythia. And, then the luck stroke: I was attacked at the bridge. Exterminated an army of 8 or 9 units (slingers got plenty of shevrons ), road to the nearest Scythian city was open. I know it's kind of cheating, but Scythia is realy pain in the neck for Thrace early in the game (no archers, no decent cavalry, almost naked infantry, and stupied generals that charge like crazy and often die, and pick only crazy witches or drink mates as retinue ).

Now I can recrut archers (not horse) and lancers, and can train those armed bastarnae guys in the same city (its probably of a higher level than any of my cities). Life is beautiful again. I got money, so the Macedon should get ready for surprises in a few turns ... and so should the Indi Greeks of the Crimea, and all the other guys out there
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; June 11, 2008 at 03:29 AM.

by armed bastarnae (should be armoured, of course) I meant Thracian Thorakitai
    ME
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; June 11, 2008 at 03:31 AM.

ah kool, goodluck!

i have no patience for playing s thrace, however i just got a good Armenian campaign going, what say u hack ur way through Macedon, ill cut through asia minor and we meet in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Guard Itachi View Post
    ah kool, goodluck!

i have no patience for playing s thrace, however i just got a good Armenian campaign going, what say u hack ur way through Macedon, ill cut through asia minor and we meet in the middle?
    Great, Spartan Guard. I'll be ready for both and ?
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; April 17, 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    Great, Spartan Guard. I'll be ready for both and ?

hhaha ok sounds good, i tink theres 3 full stacks of selucids following me again i hate it when these guys turn up lol

hhaha ok sounds good, i tink theres 3 full stacks of selucids following me again i hate it when these guys turn up lol
    Show the celeucids finger from a nearby bridge ...

hhahahah will do kinda sir (Y)

im busy repelling loud greeks and invading Selucia, where u at?

hhahahah will do kinda sir (Y)

im busy repelling loud greeks and invading Selucia, where u at?
    I made peace with Scythia and rushed into Greece. Fighting Macedon now. In Scythia I greatly improved my maneuvering and the use of missile units. I am beating crap out of Macedon armies with hoplite militia, slingers (lots of them), warbands, bastarnae, and light cavalry (no thorakitai yet, too expensive). Macedon are heavier armed and armored, got better infantry, but from one reason or another often miss cavalry and missile units. Anyway, Macedon is going down

The God of War's Avatar Tiro

I have no problem beating Scythia on a defensive. For example, during a seige they normally have weak infantry units push the seig weapons and a massive horde (of horse archers ..... annoying ofcourse) waiting for the gates to breal open ..... then they charge in millions killing everthing within my city !!! I learnt to keep my strong infantry stationed at the gates to keep them from overrunning the city !!! Also, I use my cavalry to take out their entire infantry (which is weak) before they can use their seige weapons !!! That way those Scythian horses are useless and will retreat and a fight never happens !!!

However, I hate attacking these guys you try to chase them and they while running away from you still fire missiles causing even greater losses !!! I need help please !!! Is there some other better army composition or formation I can use ???? I normally use heavy infantry with some light infantry and peltasts ..... but these seem good with other factions but utterly useless against Scythia ..... please help !!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees !!!

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

God Of War - any archers with long range and slingers with experience out range the horse archers - just form a square of your spearmen/pikes/heavy infantry with the archers on the inside and slingers outside uphill of the enemy.

On the campaign map march into their territory then let them attack you, never initiate a battle unless you have good reason - that way you are the defender and they have to come to you to win or they lose.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

EyebrowsMulligan's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    God Of War - any archers with long range and slingers with experience out range the horse archers - just form a square of your spearmen/pikes/heavy infantry with the archers on the inside and slingers outside uphill of the enemy.

On the campaign map march into their territory then let them attack you, never initiate a battle unless you have good reason - that way you are the defender and they have to come to you to win or they lose.
    This is excellent advice. I've long practiced a strategy of 'moving offensively but fighting defensively' against horse-based factions. Just move onto their turf and find a good defensive spot (but preferably one close enough to an enemy city that they can't afford to not attack you), then wait for their armies to break themselves on you. Rinse and repeat for best results.

thanks guys

@ The God of War. Which faction do you play? Your approach may depend on what you have at your disposal.

Your anti-Scythian siege approach has one downside. Scythians besiege long (they aften do not have infantry in their armies indeed). So, if Scythians come in numbers (which often happens) in your land and several of your cities are under the siege for a number of turns you may run out of money, particulalry if you are in the early or mid game. And to fight Scythia you need all the money you can get!
    P.S. Pull yourself together, man. You are the God of War after all, right Good luck! ME

@ Unknown Soldier. Sounds like a good plan. I would like to emphasize that you need well-armored infantry and decent and experienced archers (if with some armour, even better), plus some decent cavalry ( I managed to hire 5 units of Scythian mercenary HAs and a unit of Scythian lancers in Scythian land and surroundings; those are real help).
    Slingers may be useful against Scythian armies which include lancers and noble HAs (which have some armour), but commonly slingers have a shorter range and die faster (they have no armour).

Learned this from my own experience of fighting Scythians as Thrace early in the game. I used kinda tactics Unknown Soldier describe, but having poor armour, inexperienced archers, and mostly light cavalry, my successes were limited ...
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; April 24, 2008 at 09:40 AM.

thanks for the confidence boost .... i play as greece normally (a spartan fan) ..... but in this campaign i am playing as germania on vh/vh and have not advanced troops yet ..... as germania starts with very small towns, none of them are available yet despite me completing the construction of many towns !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The God of War View Post
    ...none of them are available yet despite me completing the construction of many towns !!!
    If you are refering to minor settlements they are just a graphic replacement for watch towers.

One good German strategy is to everywhere build the temple which gives the population growth boost effect and any other population building measure you can get like lowering taxes, building farms, and improving health buildings; once you have a large thriving population (third level towns - 6000+)switch the temples for ones that give experience and weapon/armour upgrades - then conquer the world.

Quote Originally Posted by The God of War View Post
    thanks for the confidence boost .... i play as greece normally (a spartan fan) ..... but in this campaign i am playing as germania on vh/vh and have not advanced troops yet ..... as germania starts with very small towns, none of them are available yet despite me completing the construction of many towns !!!
    Germania?! Try later in the game an army of those noble (or chosen archers), which have axe as secondary weapon (I fought them recently; tough guys). They have some armour and should fear no hand-to-hand battle even with heavy cavalry, right ? Well, a few spearmen units and some cavalry would not hurt I guess. Could be expensive, long to wait, but certainly fun .
    ME

If you are refering to minor settlements they are just a graphic replacement for watch towers.

One good German strategy is to everywhere build the temple which gives the population growth boost effect and any other population building measure you can get like lowering taxes, building farms, and improving health buildings; once you have a large thriving population (third level towns - 6000+)switch the temples for ones that give experience and weapon/armour upgrades - then conquer the world.
    Unknown Soldier, that's a valuable piece of advice. I guess it applies to other barabrian factions as well.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by La Hormiga View Post
    Im playing as rome and its 225 bc, w/ the marian reforms passed. My macedonian protectorate is being invaded by scythian armies and i want to send some military aid. the trouble is that most of their armies are filled w/ cataphrats, noble horse archers all w/ silver chevrons and weapons. :hmmm: what is a tactic and army compostion for beating these bastards.

Bring siege engines and storm their cities! Horse archers & cataphracts are useless in defending
    ________
    Wellbutrin Settlement Info
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 06:36 AM.

ME: Germans totally ,Iberians to a lesser degree.

Gaul on the otherhand is in the middle of a bloddy civil war and must concentrate on unifying Gaul to start with before they are overwhelmed by the Indie Celts/Germans/Iberians and Romans. They need to blitz the Indie Celts in Gaul as fast as possible and thus need to use the majority of their cash to take the indie settlements as fast as possible and should only ever occupy them - no enslavement of sacking after all this is Gaul and there are no culture penalties.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast