Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labenius/Parthicus (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labenius/Parthicus

Thank Jupiter Maximus.
    The Proconsul is alive and well.
    It would seems that our enemy proves to be a thorn in our side.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

A second messenger enters and reads his message out loud

"Marcus Lucretius Falco, noble quaestor to proconsul Marcus Valerius Corvinus of Magna Sicilia, requests the senate's advise about the matter of the proconsul's request to stay in Massalia. The quaestor has replaced the proconsul from his kidnapping onward, in the knowledge that the proconsul would return alive or the senate would appoint a new proconsul. Now the proconsul is in dereliction of duty and the quaestor suggests a military attache be sent to Massalia so the Proconsul can return to his duties to Magna Sicilia and SPQR."

The messenger is done reading, stands to attention and asks:

"Is there something I can tell the Quaestor?"
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

We do not have many forces to spare, unfortunately. But what of the Propraetor of Sardina and Corsica? Does he not have a large force? Therefore, I move

"The Proconsul of Corsica and Sardinia be ordered to move with no less than one full legion to relieve the Proconsul of Sicily, currently trapped in Massilia, from the Gallic Hoards."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"With all due respect, I think the proconsul means to train the Massalians himself, which takes time. Time which he should be spending in Sicilia. Anyone with enough military experience could train these Greeks, so we could just as well send a military tribune there to train the men and to make a report about Massalia for the senate."

"And we cannot fight a war on two fronts as of yet, if I might just add my opinion."

Don't Double Post, use the edit button.

-Winter
    Last edited by Winter; March 27, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
    PLEBEIAN

The quaestor is right.
    Something should be done to assist the Proconsul.
    If he could return he would have but he sees an opportunity.
    And we all know Marcus Valerius is not a man who does not take his job seriously.
    So I will second the motion to have a new pro-praetor appointed immediately to handle the situation.
    A message must be sent to Marcus Lucretius at the same time so that building and disbanding may resume in Sicilia.

I would also like to report on what the current financial status is of the Republic and what my projected totals will be with the recuiting of four full legions with legionary cavalry and auxilliaries.
    These men will be recruited from around Italia and Sicilia.
    At the same time throughout Italia I will be constructing military camps to ensure that we do not lack in this way again.

The Current State of Affairs

With the recruiting Throughout the Republic and Building in Italia

What needs to be remembered is that in the course of the next week I will have handed papers to more than half of those being paid by the treasury (Army Upkeep)

Voice Chat @ Discord

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I must ask that we be cautious before we dive headlong into war with a foreign power, because this is not a small tribe, this is an organised confederation capable of wreaking havoc if we poke in the side as some of you seem adament in doing. i ask you to think, do you want war with carthage or Gaul? Becasue at least a war with Carthage stays in Africa, what if the gauls march down through Italia and destroy our city again! Wait until Carthage is subdued!

OOC:Who actually has a save and can email it, or upload on a site like filefront so i can see it. Please, if you want me to perform my tasks, I need the save.

OOC2:For accuracy's sake, shouldn't the Censor control building, or at least put forward his opinion before a vote? And do I get roads named after me?
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; March 27, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

ooc2: not unless you're a consul, I think
    PLEBEIAN

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius is pleased to hear that the Proconsul is alive and well. However, on the matter of the plight of Massilia, he has some things to say:

I was the Pro-Praetor of Corsica and Sardinia last term, and if you had read my report, you would have known that most of the garrisons of those islands are relatively full, however some of the units were understrength. Also, you would also have found that these two islands have an excess of two generals, both sitting there developing bad traits.

Therefore, this is my proposed solution to the Proconsul's request. We should send all the depleted units plus some units and a legate to Massilia to help out the citizens there. Then once they have finished helping, they can be rewarded plots of land in and around Massilia. This solution will benefit us in two ways:
    1. It will disperse more of the old troop types and allow more room for the new troop types of the reform to come into play.
    2. The men will also help Romanise the area and make the citizens become accustomed to Roman dominance, and make them happy with our government.

I think this is a good idea because Carthage does not seem to have Corsica and Sardinia on it's list of lands for it further expansion. Therefore, I believe it safe to move troops out of there. However, as to how to move and use the troops, the choices are limited. The best two in my opinion are:
    1. Get a legate to take the men by ship to Massilia, and then allow the Proconsul Valerius to command them in eradicating the Gauls.
    2. Give a Senator or Office holder here Imperium to take the troops across and engage the Gauls while the Proconsul returns to his duties in Sicily.

Would the other Senators please express their views on this.

To date I have disbanded all triarii thus being the oldest members of our legions. The next to be disbanded will be the principes which will happen while enroute to Carthage.
    Please I encourage any discussion in terms of what is definately a transformation unseen in the republic to date.

Secondly I would like to appoint two quaestors to my campiagn.
    Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus and Quintus Equestris Julius.
    Senate, this is not a minor campaign and I do not see us completeing it within the course of one year.
    This will be a war that will last years and we must commit to it whole heartedly.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; March 28, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Voice Chat @ Discord

"The quaestor has prepared a report, would the senate care to see it?"
    PLEBEIAN

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Esteemed Senior Colleague, will you be disbanding all the old units on Corsica and Sardinia as well? Because if you do, my plan may not come into effect, and we will have to train additional forces for the task of helping Massilia.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

May I bring an issue that although I haven't seen the problem, I can envisage int he future a problem with the management of the Republic. Ths issue is the money spent by Proconsuls and Propraetors in their lands. What systems exist to see that they get what they need, or no more than they should? As far as I can see there is no control over the purse strings. And as Censor I feel is is a potential problem shoudl money get tight in later years and those who spend first get more. I think we need some way of regulating without too much bureacracy. What I think will be the easiest is for the Censor to outline his suggestions for a budget at the beginning of the term and present it to the senate for ratifcation, but also the governors to ask for more or less and complain if they feel they are hard done by.

Another issue is getting information, because it is the job of Censor to look at the save, suggest improvements, and create a report, but I have found ti hard to suggest improvements and have had to instead trawl through old records to form a very rough idea. I think it would be much more beneficial if at the start of the term, the save is sent to both the senior Consul and the Censor, or just posted on filefront so the governors can see it. This would be much simpler and easier.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

This is a valid point Censor Publius.
    I believe that in order to have everything running smoothly the terms should be extended slightly to envisage what you are saying.
    From downloading to producing a report and getting a vote takes days and how I see it a term should begin on a Saturday running through a course of ten days for all parties.
    Thus by wednesday the following week we can wrap up and begin campaigning and elections for the following term.
    This should be ratified so that the new office again begins on Saturday.
    From previous consulates the most happened over a weekend where we would post 5 to 10 pages whereas starting in the week we see very few pages.

Senators of Rome
    I write this as quaestor Tiberius Octavius and myself leave Ostia for Africa and Carthago Nova.
    It has been quite a task getting together four trained and equipped legions.
    Had it not been for some hardy centurions I do not think the task would yet be completed.
    I have tried my best to continue with the building programs and through discussions with the Censor I have engaged in many construction programs to enhance the Republic and ensure we are not caught sleeping again.
    It is now the tenth month and soon the year will be again over.
    How time slips away when one is out of Rome so long.
    I now bring to you your new legions.
    No true roman can say it is not a sight fit for Jupiter Optimus Maximus.

Marching to the coast with the First Legion Germanica

The eagle carried by the First Cohort

Some sorry brigands who defied Rome and blocked her path to the sea

The captain is calling for the last of us to board the ships so till I am able to get a message to you I leave now for Carthage and the largest campaign Rome has undergone in her history.
    Ser.Labienus
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; March 28, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Voice Chat @ Discord

A tired messenger runs into the Curia, causing quite a stir among the guards.
    "Let me through, I rode all day to get here, I have a message for the senate. Of course I don't carry weapons, I'm a bloody messenger. This message is from Carthage, I only carried it from Reghion to here."

The officer of the guard is not convinced and takes the message from the panting rider. He reads it aloud to the senators:
    "Our senior consul has safely reached Africa, and has made camp near Carthage. He has sent along a map."

As the officer unrolls the map senators gasp. Carthage has fallen, but not before the arms of SPQR. Iberian barbarians had taken the city, giving a new twist to the consuls orders.
    PLEBEIAN

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

ooc: That is ridiculous. The Iberians have actually captured African territory, including Carthage. Should we just use forced diplomacy to give Carthage it's territory back and to force the Iberians out of Africa?
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

ooc:see africa thread. We on our way to chat to these folk

The rider's yells are still heard in the senate hall

"I still need access, that map and the letter was only half the message! Let me in, let me in! You already saw I don't have a weapon! You checked it... No, you already asked me that."

To end the disturbance the junior consul orders the rider in [sorry Xavier, this was nessecary] The rider enters the senate hall confidently, catches his breath and starts to speak:

"Salve senators, noble consul. The Senior Consul has another message from Africa, a request as a matter of fact: he requests Decimus Iunius Brutus Caepionis to be one of his quaestors on the mission in Africa. This man has skills which are invaluable to the success of Roman operations in the area. What say you?"
    PLEBEIAN

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Senators, since the Senior Consul has requested my presence, after my petition truth be told, I'll leave to Africa immediately!"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Official Dispatch.
    Africa.
    I am writing this on the eve of what I see as a resounding victory for Rome.
    I bring news of the client kingdom now under Romes protection.
    Iberia.
    Tribute from this vast nation will be 5000 denarii for six years.
    They have offered us Carthage for our base of operations in Africa.
    Secured trade rights and military access for our legions.
    More cannot be said for fear of sabotage.

Ser.Labienus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast