Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: CATW - Main thread discussion

Default Re: Classical Age Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Agisilaos View Post
    In Hellenic Εκτοξευτής in English it would sound: Ektoxeutis for 1 Ektoxeutai for many
    well the sling is sfenthoni for 1 and sfenthonai for many..... the unit could be named Sphendonetai (Slingers)

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Quote Originally Posted by KaRoU23 View Post
    well the sling is sfenthoni for 1 and sfenthonai for many..... the unit could be named Sphendonetai (Slingers)
    yes you are right, my bad. i have started playing a game that calls them wrong and did the mistake
    thanks KaRou23
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Quote Originally Posted by Agisilaos View Post
    yes you are right, my bad. i have started playing a game that calls them wrong and did the mistake
    thanks KaRou23
    No problem m8!!!! just call me george

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

I just saw your interesting debate. However, it is the same for a sling and staff-sling ? The kestrosphendone i made seems to have some issues, well...radioactive ones , In the preview you will see :
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Here is one of the very last previews of CATW : all factions are units-filled, with full DMB and EDU entries, even with double entries.
    The thracians are not often shown or choosed as a faction, in RTW mods. This for a good reason : In 270 bc, the former lysimachean kingdom is no more and its former lands are now splitted amongst Lysimachus former rivals, and small independant thracians kingdoms.
    But in 300 bc. which is catw's starting date, things were different: Lysimachus, was one of the most trusted hetairoi and somatophylake of Alexander the great, and it is said that he saved his life in India. After Alexander death, he followed Cassander, Ptolemy and Seleukos, warring against Antigonus which send scythians and thracians to keep him busy, until he repelled them all and secure a new territory in western thrace and chersonese, even taking the title of king of Thrace in 306 or 305 like cassander did in asia. In 301 he fought Antigonus with his allies at Ipsus, won, and gained a huge territory encompassing asia minor and pontus. His empire was later consolidated by more victories against the thracians and an alliance with the Odrysians. Later he eventually co-ruled macedon with Pyrrhus, then expelled him, becoming the master of northern greece, thrace and asia minor...

So in CATW, you will begin with a powerful faction, featuring a macedonian style army and many thracian and asiatic auxiliaries and mercenaries as you will see. With gold mines revenues and a wide empire partly controlling eastern trade roads and black sea trade, you will find yourself in a far better position not only to survive but to imposing your rule, both against macedon and in other diadochis.

The preview can be seen here.
    Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; March 07, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...

glad to see the work at CATW is flourishing! i hope to play this mod this year yet
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

clone's Avatar Primicerius

great mod.cocobongoclub-DJ can i ask you something. ilke very much your infantry in your signature http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4695/catwsig.jpg (not the galatian).what faction has the units
    Last edited by clone; March 10, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

my guess would be thats a carthaginian unit from iberia or something but i could also be wrong it could also be an italic unit

The two units in my sig are concept-arts of units made by the mod leader of Peninsula Italica, Luciano B. They aren among others, in the loading screens of the actual RTW-Bi version of PI.
    The left one is a roman hastati of the camilian era, and the right one, a Spathari form the Turini Gauls (Gauls around modern Turin).

Hell, I had no idea that this modification started at such an interesting date! I was even thinking of making a sub-mod for Res Gestae starting around the same date, as I find it to be a great time period, with so many Diadochi Kingdoms, the rise of Phyrros of Epiros, the initial expansion of the Roman Republic...

I am glad to see that this is progressing so well. And it will also save me a lot of modding time.

i'm very anxious to see cocobongo's work come to light!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Hell, I had no idea that this modification started at such an interesting date! I was even thinking of making a sub-mod for Res Gestae starting around the same date, as I find it to be a great time period, with so many Diadochi Kingdoms, the rise of Phyrros of Epiros, the initial expansion of the Roman Republic...

I am glad to see that this is progressing so well. And it will also save me a lot of modding time.
    Well, this date is not so interesting in itself, the death of alexander was already choosed by XGM to featuring the complete diadochi wars, but in 300 bc you have also the "golden age" of the celts, with a new huge wave of invasion, mainly from central europe (Boii and Volcae). I even thought a moment to replace the belgians by the Volcae to have these two celtic factions, in which is usually a "desert" on the map. But on the other hand, with huge celtic armies combining all available slaves and mercenaries, this is still a very challenging area. The problem is to combine big cities according the the size of these independant armies. Look also : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_...of_the_Balkans

I am really thinking about replacing Pontus, which is almost anachronistical at this time (and the area would have been controlled by Lysimachus). But in fact, with no faction in the east but parthians and seleucids, this would be also a waste of space...

With a mapper, catw would have the big european map that it is still needed.
    Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; March 12, 2010 at 07:13 AM.

When i made an allusion to the radioactive properties of the kestros, that was that :

Of, course this is a skin-bone linking problem. Original kestros were made after vanilla BI plumbatarii darts, and they were originally linked with the shield. I'm working on it.

Now, a vote :
    What faction would you prefer to replace Pontus :
    a- The Mauryans
    b- The morlocks
    c- Another faction : ..............
    d- Well, Pontus was a good one...

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

I don't know about this... You made some excellent units for Pontus on your website... those Sinope Guards for instance looked awesome!

only that I can't see some of the Pontus units any more on www.ancient-battles.com
    Last edited by Visarion; March 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thx...
    Ok, one point for pontus...

I am not sure about the faction list, but if it is not already done, I think that the mod should feature two "Macedonian" factions: one ruled by Cassander (The Antipatrids) and another ruled by Demetrios (the Antigonids).

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

I haven’t read all the post on this thread just any time but I have a few questions.

Is this mod good for custom online battles?

If available now can someone post the download site?
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

I am torn, I will cast my vote and say keep Pontus since they play an important role later in the game. Though I like the Macedonian Civil War idea. Maybe a way will be found to implement it without adding another faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    I am not sure about the faction list, but if it is not already done, I think that the mod should feature two "Macedonian" factions: one ruled by Cassander (The Antipatrids) and another ruled by Demetrios (the Antigonids).
    Well, that's an idea but seeing a map of hellenistic rulers, i saw only cassander and lysimachus kingdoms. You can have a confrontation between the two, but perhaps with a map showing demetrios poliorcetes possessions this would be easyer.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    Is this mod good for custom online battles?
    This mod is fully playable (free campaign on MM, custom, even some historical battles...)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    If available now can someone post the download site?
    The link has just been added in my sig...
    To install just unzip it in a clean RTW (it is modfolded so you can have others mods in the same directory). Then copy and paste the shortcut and give it your own path in "properties" (see also inside readme).

I am currently working on the next version, and i have already added HorseArcher's skymod and Davide.Cool better water, as well as other custom battle maps, other slave regions, and many modifications for several factions.