Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Propose a duel you would like to see!

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Propose a duel you would like to see!

TR v Amagi, with the argument being what constitutes a legible post.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Debate on whether the Western high standards of living and global dominance for the past century is due to the morals that came through various revolutions and reform, with the eradication of feudalism, or whether it is more due to Western interventionism and colonialism.

Dunno who'd be up for that...but it would be interesting to hear from somebody not part of the "Western" world and their take of the "West"'s rise to prominence...
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    Dunno who'd be up for that...but it would be interesting to hear from somebody not part of the "Western" world and their take of the "West"'s rise to prominence...
    The problem is that the opposing ''view'' is more connected to western thinking that we actually realize.

In the hypothetical discussion you brought forward there would be 2 big guys, one of them would be more related to a ''liberal school of thought'' and the other one would probably fall within the scope of Marxism or Critical Theory, both are children of the west. I can't really think of any school of thought that's completely detached from western thinking and actually analyzes the west... even large parts of anti-western Islamic extremism use direct terms of Marxist theory.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    Debate on whether the Western high standards of living and global dominance for the past century is due to the morals that came through various revolutions and reform, with the eradication of feudalism, or whether it is more due to Western interventionism and colonialism.

I'll argue against the moral standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    NFL is football, I call what those guys do over there foosball, which drives them nuts.

The sport played in the NFL is not named correctly:

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A debate between a reasonable theist and a reasonable atheist on the supernatural. The twist will be that they argue from the others perspetive. The theist argue from the atheist perspective, visa versa.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I want to challenge someone, if anyone is willing.
    Last times, the 2 people backed off.

And what would your proposed topic be?
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    Hey, I'm in too. So why don't you put down some of your weird beliefs or interest, and we go from there. Personally, I would point down that I hold Anarchistic beliefs, atheism/theism debates I enjoy greatly as an atheist myself, and when it comes to philosophy I'm rather ambivalent, tho I have a special place for Nietzsche.

Among those 3 subjects, I'm sure there is more then enough to go around. take you pick if it's interesting. To add to that, history is not a foreign subject.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Blog Entries

Let's see, the old army uniforms, ancient astronauts, and others. What would you like?

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    Let's see, the old army uniforms, ancient astronauts, and others. What would you like?
    Can't say I really have much time for a debate, nor would I be able to debate those topics. I was really just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Hey, I'm in too. So why don't you put down some of your weird beliefs or interest, and we go from there. Personally, I would point down that I hold Anarchistic beliefs, atheism/theism debates I enjoy greatly as an atheist myself, and when it comes to philosophy I'm rather ambivalent, tho I have a special place for Nietzsche.

Among those 3 subjects, I'm sure there is more then enough to go around. take you pick if it's interesting. To add to that, history is not a foreign subject.

~Wille
    Atheism vs Theism? Neither side can ever win that, impossible to prove.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Anyone vs. Jom

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Atheism vs Theism? Neither side can ever win that, impossible to prove.
    And that sir is the mantra of this subforum; no-one ever does. Welcome to GFC. heh

As opposed to most EMM debaters; sweating their mantle to the bitter end, I look at it as a way of refining my rhetorical abilities - keeping my blade sharp as they say. Maybe another time then.

~Wille

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Anyone vs. Jom
    Corrections...

Anyonem_1512 vs. Jom

I'll keep checking this thread daily, but you may get a quicker response from me via VM.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Anyone vs. Jom
    A man that brave does not exist...

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety

Depends on the subject, really.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    A man that brave does not exist...
    Read the post above you, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    Depends on the subject, really.
    I would like to hear your choice of subject first.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety

I don't really have one. Unfortunately I'm far from any decent university libraries or any other centres of higher learning, unless you wouldn't mind talking about something with which I am confronted every weekday - teenage pedagogical approaches, perhaps? Maybe a debate on whether contrastive analysis might not play some role in the classroom, despite being abandoned as an SLA theory these past 40 years.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Blog Entries

Sounds interesting, but could you elaborate?

Also, would you like to debate upon cassus belli in the modern world?

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I'd like to hear somebody debate on modern technology in classrooms. In a Belgian magazine (Humo) there's been going on a fierce debate on the use of Smartboards and facebook in the classrooms... Only yesterday my 9 year old brother came home with an assignment where he has to make a Powerpoint presentation in front of the class. It would be interesting to see what teachers and others with teaching experience think about this evolution.