Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

Default Re: What book are you currently reading?

Currently reading this at the recommendation of a friend.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, a lovely read.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Picked up this today
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

How are you enjoying the Wheel of Time Athelstan?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love the descriptions, characters and the emotion, haven't been this invested in a series since I read the Lost Legion trilogy by Ben Kane. As for how I find it, look at my avatar text thingy
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Best. Western. Ever.

Well...last of a trilogy, and has a lot of fantasy mixed in. I just got sucked in from the start.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    Great pick.

Also this is another great book:

I read it a decade ago, giving it another ride.

I finished Antifragile by Taleb a few days ago, highly recommend it.

Nietzsche - Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Guiseppe di Lampedusa - The Leopard
    Stephen Greenblatt - Tyrant
    Shoshana Zuboff - The Age Of Surveillance Capitalism

further planned are:

Nietzsche - Menschliches, Allzumenschliches
    some Heinrich Böll

and Karl Kraus - DIe letzten Tage der Menschheit

btw: none of our resident right wingers reading the newest Houellebecq?
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; February 03, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Currently working my way through Leaders eat last by Simon Sinek. Very interesting read, loads of ideas I'm likely to steal as well..
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Could anyone recommend a horror, history, or fantasy novel? I'm really in a dry spell for good books. The longer the better in terms of audible hours

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Nietzsche - Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Guiseppe di Lampedusa - The Leopard
    Stephen Greenblatt - Tyrant
    Shoshana Zuboff - The Age Of Surveillance Capitalism

further planned are:

Nietzsche - Menschliches, Allzumenschliches
    some Heinrich Böll

and Karl Kraus - DIe letzten Tage der Menschheit

btw: none of our resident right wingers reading the newest Houellebecq?
    Serotonine?
    I read a summary, not my cup of tea. He's a very entertaining writer anyway.

Finished up the last of the Horus Heresy novels before the siege of terra (to be started this march), Titandeath and Buried Dagger. Plus a bunch of shorts.

Titandeath was an ok novel. It spent most of the time detailing the background of this all female titan legion, some of its rivalries with other legions, and what not. The actual battle in beta garmon doesnt seems to be focus. It does have some cool titan x titan action and some interesting adeptus mechanicus parts. The portrayal of Sanguinius though was rather disappointing. Not the best of the Horus Heresy novels, id say about low to mid tier.

On Sanguinius...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sanguinius and the Khan get into the system, and Sanguinius takes complete control of all imperium forces in beta garmon. He makes a huge blunder though and deploys most of his forces in one of the planets, Horus outplays him and the imperium loses immediately and has to retreat out of the system, opening the path to Terra. Quite weird to think that Dorn's muster -from afar- of all titan legions and other assets in the system was actually handling it without any central coordination, but when Sanguinius took the reins it all went kaput. Then it ends with Sanguinius blaming himself, and everyone else including the Khan basically saying "dont cry it isnt your fault"

The Buried Dagger was good. Half of it details the capture of the death guard by Nurgle AND Mortarion's past in Barbarus, and the other half is about the knights errant and Malcador. However, for Death Guard fans it might be disappointing, as at least for me the better part was the one about the knights Errant. Malcador, Garviel Loken and Nathaniel Garro are featured quite heavily and i felt some nostalgia from books 1 to 4 of the series. All in all its a reasonable 3.5/5 or 4/5 ending to the Horus Heresy Series, the final book 54.

Heavy spoilers about the book
    Loken and Garro were quite awesome, they both do NOT join the Grey knights, but instead its implied they join Euphrati Keeler and the other loyal death guards in Terra (those that arrived with garro in the eisenstein), and for the first time they have no masters. Malcador takes the other chosen 8 Knights errant (loken was to be the ninth, but refused) and go through a webway portal under terra towards Titan to start the Grey Knights.

On the Death guard part. I felt that Mortarion was too lost or clueless through out the book. Typhon arms a trap for the death guard and him so that Nurgle can get hold of them all, and Mortarion falls onto it easily without questioning anything. Then when finally he grows some sense, its all done and he ends pledging himself to Nurgle quite quickly.

Also read some Horus Heresy Short Stories, the best one was Now Peals Midnight - John French. Just some 15 pages. It depicts the last hours before the traitor fleet arrives in the solar system, and it was quite awesome, showing the calm before the storm, Dorn and the Fists getting ready, and the anticipation that is felt by everyone in the solar system, space marines, humans and the primarchs.

Basically, im ready with that siege of terra HYPE
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

ciprianrusu's Avatar Biarchus

I trust I make myself obscure.
    Nihil Sine Deo

RS Legion Organizer Tool
    Visit Romania! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Could anyone recommend a horror, history, or fantasy novel? I'm really in a dry spell for good books. The longer the better in terms of audible hours
    A trilogy you should be able to get as such: The Devil's West.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ciprianrusu View Post
    I gave the first 2 books a shot, the material is interesting enough, but the writing is simply not up to it

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    A trilogy you should be able to get as such: The Devil's West.
    That looks great, I'm going to download the first book, thanks

It's time....

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Jump on the Bandwagon.
    Finished it.
    Meh, it was okay.

Also, this:

So, I read a number of books while in the gulag:
    -The myth of male power, by Warren Farrel.
    Pretty good, though I don't think he has good solutions to the problems he points out.
    -Globalists The end of the Empire and the Birith of Neoliberalism, by Quinn Slobodian.
    Excellent book. Biased from a very left leaning perspective, but very informative nonetheless. Highly recommend it.
    -Utopia for Realists, by Rutger Bregman.
    Belongs to the trashcan. I'm glad I only borrowed it and didn't waste money. The guy is a preacher for irresponsibility and incredibly superficial.
    -The Coddling of the American Mind, by Haidt and Lukianoff.
    Ok book, convinced me that war in the US is inevitable and the academia is unsalvageable. Pretty ironic considering that's what they want to avoid.
    -The End of History and the Last Man by Fukuyama (the book not the essay).
    Good, some good predictions and some completely wrong ones.

Upcoming ''Identity'' by Fukuyama and ''The Virtue of Nationalism'' by Yoram Hazony.