Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Default Re: What book are you currently reading?

Alright, I'll check them out in a few months.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Re-read it today.
    Strange, i thought it was even more miserable than it was. Not that it isn't extremely miserable and sad; i just thought it was even worse than that

It is the type of story which works due to leaving a lot of things to the reader's projection. In reality the actual narration is quite empty, but there are enough allusions to make up for this, by inviting the reader to fill the series of gaps.
    That said, again, i did recall it as being a little more fleshed-out. Maybe it is the kind of story which isn't as impressive when re-read, moreso when it has to be met with the remains of the huge impression it made in the original - and so old - reading...
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Kyriakos, if you've seen the TV show Always Sunny in Philadelphia, you'll like this clip. Its an entire episode which is basically a parody of Flowers for Algernon. Flowers for Charlie

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

A fictional book based on the life of Augustus and the important events surrounding him. I'm halfway through it but so far it's an interesting and quite an enjoyable book to read in your free time.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

A couple of weeks ago:

Overall it isn't a good treatise, imo. It also isn't what the title suggests; it includes a lot of stuff which Lovecraft himself names as not tied to "cosmic" (ie non psychological in the context of the story) horror, identifies others as cosmic horror when arguably psychological would be more fitting, and starts with the gothic novel, as if nothing prior to that was written in horror.
    Also i found that the treatise is written in uneven style; some parts are better described than others.
    Maybe it is mostly useful as a source of possible reading material, for people who like this type of literature, but i doubt it is important as an actual treatise.
    Eg it is far less interesting than Freud's treatise on the Uncanny.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/306352/whiteshift/

Not currently reading, but it's out in October. Should be fun.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Just finished this:

Wasn't all that I expected it to be.

Pen Pal by Dathan Auerbach a story about a stalker and childhood friendship

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Finished this, too.

The author just craps on Alexander and his achievements.
    Places all the glory on Philip.
    Not fun.

Also, I'm finally tackling Pratchett's discworld novels.

Finished Moving Pictures and Guards! Guards! so far, now I'm simultaneously reading Mort, Men At Arms and Going Postal.

I enjoyed Moving Pictures more than Guards, but I'm loving it's follow up, Men At Arms. And Mort is just hilarious.

I assume the second is about the Mercers?

edit, nvm, it's the Koch bros.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Bella Italia Militar - about the Military organization of the ancient Italian states (Kingdom of Sardinia, Kingdom of Sicily, Republic of Venice, Papal States, Republic of Genoa etc....)
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

@Lord of the Drunk Penguin:
    The Madness of Alexander the Great is in the range of 200 pages.
    You read that in a day or can you read two books at the same time?

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post

Also, I'm finally tackling Pratchett's discworld novels.

Finished Moving Pictures and Guards! Guards! so far, now I'm simultaneously reading Mort, Men At Arms and Going Postal.

I enjoyed Moving Pictures more than Guards, but I'm loving it's follow up, Men At Arms. And Mort is just hilarious.
    Mort is the best imo.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    @Lord of the Drunk Penguin:
    The Madness of Alexander the Great is in the range of 200 pages.
    You read that in a day or can you read two books at the same time?
    Since you point that out, do you guys have a rate of reading? In the sense, how many pages do you read a day? Or do you just go as you feel? I try to read 40 pages a day but it depends on the difficulty of the text. Some can go as low as 20 a day.

Senator

Good question. I try to read at least 20 Pages per Day. Furthermore there is my weekly newspaper to read (DIE ZEIT), which takes some times to.
    On Weekend and in Holydays there is no limit, the best Days are when I´m sitting in my garden with Beer, Book and whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    I assume the second is about the Mercers?

edit, nvm, it's the Koch bros.
    yeah focus is on Koch bros so far, some earlier chapters have been dedicated to Olin, Scaife etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Since you point that out, do you guys have a rate of reading? In the sense, how many pages do you read a day? Or do you just go as you feel? I try to read 40 pages a day but it depends on the difficulty of the text. Some can go as low as 20 a day.
    Obviously. I couldn't even read 5 pages of Hegel a day without going insane (not that I would read that crap first-hand). Lately, I've began reading multiple books simultaneously, always reading a few pages only, and a healthy mix of entertainment & non-fiction books (though nothing really heavy). That means that I could stretch out a fiction book over several months that others devour within a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Good question. I try to read at least 20 Pages per Day. Furthermore there is my weekly newspaper to read (DIE ZEIT), which takes some times to.
    On Weekend and in Holydays there is no limit, the best Days are when I´m sitting in my garden with Beer, Book and whisky.
    The past few weeks, with the sunny weather, I've been at the nearest lake every free second and reading like a maniac, interrupted by short bursts of swimming to cool off.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; August 15, 2018 at 02:20 AM.

Hegel and some Aristotle are indeed some of the hardest things I've ever read.

On the other hand, I can't read multiple books at the time. Personal trait, I have to finish things. I actually feel bad leaving a book unfinished. (Hi Gibbon!)

Senator

Depends on the kind of Books I`reading.... currently reading one "dry" book and one for entertainment parrallel.

If you regard Hegel and Aristotle as hard, then avoid Kant.... "Critique of Pure Reason" is the only Book I`ve never finished