Thread: What book are you currently reading?

A Man's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What book are you currently reading?

Curious to see where the terms "Carcosa" and "The Yellow King" came from after watching True Detective, I have found this. Interesting short horrorish stories.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hilarious, definitely recommended. The revelation about how the ghost repeatedly repainted the blood stain was probably the funniest part.
    A bit old, but still very interesting. The author focuses on the numerous Eclessiastical Synods in Spain, during the Visigothic times: Their decisions, the influence of the royal court, their antisemitism, the impact of the Visigoths' conversion to catholicism and the relations between German and Roman bishops. Definitely recommended, especially if you are interested in eclessiastical history.
    Horrible. The ignorance of the historian regarding the period marked by Mithridates' reign is apparent and the fact that a large part of the book (mainly the first chapters dedicated to Mithridates' childhood) looks more like a fairy tale than a history study doesn't make it better either. Also, some glaring historical mistakes, like Attalus III being the successor of Eumenes II and that the name Tryphon is jewish (actually, it's greek, coming from the word "truphe"), which are unacceptable for a Stadford University professor.

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct

quite old but full of puns & quite funny

שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Book nine of the Malazan series.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Emperor Maurice and his Historian
    Theophylact Simocatta on Persian and Balkan Warfare

Theophylact Simocatta, the last historian of classical antiquity, has in the past deterred investigators by the idiosyncrasies of his style. Through examination of Theophylact's narrative, and collation with other available evidence, Dr Whitby has unpicked the obscurities, biases, and errors to clear the way for a more accurate appreciation of the events of the reign of Emperor Maurice (582-602).
    Great book book about a great Roman emperor and one of the last classical historians

As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Really liking it. Its all about the british perspective. And deals mostly after Trafalgar.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Book nine of the Malazan series.

I have had that on my kindle for a few years now, its a struggle. Deadhouse Gates was so good, that the series has really dragged since then. The problem is that the longer it takes to read, the more I will need to go back a bit to remind myself what happened.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"Witnesses to a World Crisis
    Historians and Histories of the Middle East in the Seventh Century"

A groundbreaking study of the period when the final struggles between the empires of Rome and Persia, and then the explosion of Islamic warriors, transformed the political and religious world
    Unlike other histories of early Islam, makes systematic use of the non-Islamic as well as the Islamic sources.
    James Howard-Johnston provides a sweeping and highly readable account of probably the most dramatic single episode in world history - the emergence of a new religion (Islam), the destruction of two established great powers (Roman and Iranian), and the creation of a new world empire by the Arabs, all in the space of not much more than a generation (610-52 AD). Warfare looms large, especially where operations can be followed in some detail, as in Iraq 636-40, in Egypt 641-2 and in the long-drawn out battle for the Mediterranean (649-98). As the first history of the formative phase of Islam to be grounded in the important non-Islamic as well as Islamic sources Witnesses to a World Crisis is essential reading for anyone wanting to understand Islam as a religion and political force, the modern Middle East, and the jihadist impulse, which is as evident today as it was in the seventh century
    http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199208593.do

In conjuction with this amongst others

Late Antiquity: Eastern Perspectives
    In the past four decades since the field of late antique studies began to gather real momentum, scholars have debated the place of early Islam within the late antique world, particularly in relation to the issue of where and when 'Late Antiquity' ends.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 09, 2015 at 10:37 AM.

Gertrudius's Avatar Hans Olo

-Ella Hill

Just finished it. Crimson Fists are definitely my favorite chapter and the book was really great. Gonna start the Horus Heresy series next. (been delaying it quite a while since its just so many books)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

This one has been written quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    I have had that on my kindle for a few years now, its a struggle. Deadhouse Gates was so good, that the series has really dragged since then. The problem is that the longer it takes to read, the more I will need to go back a bit to remind myself what happened.
    Yeah, I have ran into the issue of not remembering all the characters and plot lines myself over the course of the series, but I still think it's a series well worth finishing......anyway started the 10th and final book a couple of days ago.

-Ella Hill

Steinhart

I rarely understand what I read but I have been enjoying often what I had read.
    Last edited by DaniCatBurger; December 15, 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Last book in the Powdermage Trilogy!

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

So far it has proved to be very interesting.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker