Page 59 of 154 FirstFirst ... 93449505152535455565758596061626364656667686984109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 3069

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: What book are you currently reading?

Currently reading Pelham Grenville Wodehouse's Psmith, Journalist (1915). It's an extremely interesting story set against the backdrop of what life in New York was like, particularly the seedy underbelly of gang violence. Wodehouse, of course, spent a lot of time there and I understand a lot of the events are based on true stories.

My name is Red
    by Orhan Pamuk

The Devil's Dictionary- Bierce

Doyle141's Avatar Primicerius

I just reread the Inheritance series/saga [so far]

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Currently reading Hornblower and the Atropos by C.S. Forester. Marvellous tale so far. Bit slow to start and the naval terms are still a bit confusing, but I'm enjoying it so far, especially now Hornblower is in possession of his own ship, small though it may be.

I am attempting to finish Jutland 1916 by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart (the same guy who wrote Aces Falling- which is an excellent book for any Great War enthusiast).
    It is better that one's customers come to one's shop than to have to look for them abroad. -MvR

David Copperfield

Run for your life by James Patterson.

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

Currently reading A Scanner Darkly, which I chose to read and analyse for an essay in college. So far it's been hard work with little reward, unlike The Man in the High Castle which was both difficult and extremely gratifying.

Oh yes. Let there be blood. AWESOME BOOK.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Michael McDowell's Blackwater books, 1-6. On book 3, and I cannot put it down. Primarily dark gothic, part gore, superb narrative and flow. Its about he Caskey family, and the rise of their clan when a woman, who can turn into a crocodile/lizard creature, marries into the family, stirring the developments of a town in early 19th century Alabama. Highly recommended!!!

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post

Oh yes. Let there be blood. AWESOME BOOK.
    Thank you for posting that, I wasn't aware that it was already out. I purchased a copy today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Knight View Post
    Thank you for posting that, I wasn't aware that it was already out. I purchased a copy today.
    I got the signed, limited edition, leatherbound version.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I got the signed, limited edition, leatherbound version.
    Robert Jordan's signature? I've got the normal hardcover edition with his signature.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    The 10th volume? You've got some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    I discovered that this book wasn't so bad as long as you read it right after book 9.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Lyonn's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Angrychris View Post
    "the jungle" by upton sinclair
    gotta love the meatpacking industry

anyway, at the moment I'm reading:
    Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and I must say that I'm having trouble recalling a book as interesting as this one

I just finished Colm Tóibín's "Brooklyn"
    A very entertaining read.
    Quote Originally Posted by [I]Edmund Burke[/I]
    But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators, has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever. Never, never more shall we behold that generous loyalty to rank and sex, that proud submission, that dignified obedience, that subordination of the heart, which kept alive, even in servitude itself, the spirit of an exalted freedom. The unbought grace of life, the cheap defense of nations, the nurse of manly sentiment and heroic enterprise, is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones