Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: What book are you currently reading?

Recently read 1984 and the first book of the Three Body Problem. Liked the first, not the second.
    Started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude but I am not very interested by now.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Epic book from Dan Abnett.
    First I ever read of his.
    Continues the Siege of Terra.

Questions answered within:

1. When did Abbadon realize Horus was a fool?
    2. How do you kill 3 companies of assault marines?
    3. How did Dorn managed to resist against the forces of the Death Guard, Iron Warriors, Emperor's Children and Sons of Horus?
    4. How did Little Horus die?
    5. How many traitorous marines does Garviel Loken kill?
    6. How many swords does Garviel Loken have?
    7. When are the reinforcements coming?

Excellent.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; April 16, 2021 at 11:31 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

We're getting closer to the end.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Programming books (C#)

Indefinitely Banned

Rereading the Warrior Prophet by R Scott Bakker - If GRRM had a Phd in Philosophy this is the series he would write.
    Also Listening to the Audiobook version of The Peloponnesian War by Kagan. One of my favs.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Rereading this:

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Praeses

Reading this:

added this dropdown because when it comes to adjusting picture size, I am the Hans Moleman of TWC

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the...-9781784705329

I bought it to sneer at, and (as usual) found out how ignorant I am. This keeps happening OMG guise help me.

Armstrong presents several influential scriptural traditions and the way they were most likely used when developed and recorded. This is a bit like Fox's The Authorised Edition (a favourite of mine) as its sort of an antidote to braindead literalism and fake-arse fundamentalism, although she's less interested in teasing out her E from her J (or even her dispora elites from her plebian masses), and more interested in how Wisdom and Laws were chanted, and why prophecy erupted around the 800's BCE (spoiler it was the fricking Assyrians, its always the fricking Assyrians).

She seems well across the OT stuff, and from the little I know of Indian and Chinese tradition she's on firm ground there. Not a faith-based perspective at all, but respectful of ancient traditions to the extent they can be coherently addressed. I'm a little uncomfortable at how clearly she's seeing environmentalism in the Puranas, I think the broken world the post-Vedic Aryans were trying to maintain was maybe political rather than desertified...I could be wrong though.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Reading this:

added this dropdown because when it comes to adjusting picture size, I am the Hans Moleman of TWC

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the...-9781784705329

I bought it to sneer at, and (as usual) found out how ignorant I am. This keeps happening OMG guise help me.

Armstrong presents several influential scriptural traditions and the way they were most likely used when developed and recorded. This is a bit like Fox's The Authorised Edition (a favourite of mine) as its sort of an antidote to braindead literalism and fake-arse fundamentalism, although she's less interested in teasing out her E from her J (or even her dispora elites from her plebian masses), and more interested in how Wisdom and Laws were chanted, and why prophecy erupted around the 800's BCE (spoiler it was the fricking Assyrians, its always the fricking Assyrians).

She seems well across the OT stuff, and from the little I know of Indian and Chinese tradition she's on firm ground there. Not a faith-based perspective at all, but respectful of ancient traditions to the extent they can be coherently addressed. I'm a little uncomfortable at how clearly she's seeing environmentalism in the Puranas, I think the broken world the post-Vedic Aryans were trying to maintain was maybe political rather than desertified...I could be wrong though.
    Have you read Dominion by Tom Holland? Solely interested in Christian ideas and their evolution into the old and new worlds. He is a favorite writer of mine from his Vampire Lord Byron fiction to the career he is known for writing mass appeal non fiction Persia to Roman to medieval. The quality of his prose a highlight.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Talon of Horus
    & Black Legion by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

ADB is an Abbadon fanboy and it shows.
    Don't get me wrong, Chaos is great.
    Even the warp.

“The empyrean’s alterations and flesh-changes are not accidental, indiscriminate mutations. The warp, for all its seething madness, hones its chosen. It reshapes them, siphoning the secrets of their souls and writing those truths upon their mortal flesh. When a pilot melts into the console of his fighter or gunship, it is not on the random curse of bodily horror or some unknowable divine whim. For all the pain he endures, he finds his reflexes and reactions far more attuned, as well as taking enhanced chemical and sensory pleasure in the kills he makes in the void. A warrior’s weapons become extensions of his body, reflecting the importance he places upon them in his heart. This is the simplest truth of life in the Great Eye. Everyone sees your sins, your secrets and lusts, written plain across your flesh.”

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have just started a biography namely "Manuel II Palailoagos (1350-1425) :A Byzantine Emperor in a Time of Tumult " by Siren Cerlik, 2021. Cambridge
    Si far and I confess I am only into the first chapter. So far I am very impressed with research and am digging into the rest
    Not lightest of reads but not a deep socio/political study of medieval Roman Empire in last days either... So far

web development books. angular

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

We're getting a lot closer to the end.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Having recently completed Star Wars Out of the Shadows (book 60 of the year), I decided to head back to fantasy and finally read His Dark Materials. I needed a break from fantasy after Chronicles of Narnia (which I kinda hated to be honest)

The world is a bit hard for the ADD to comprehend right now but I really am looking forward to seeing how it goes. I should finish Golden Compass (I really like the original title Northern Lights more) today and Subtle Knife tomorrow.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Damn, that's some quick reading!

I feel like I'm the only one who much prefers "The Golden Compass" vs "The Northern Lights".

The world is a bit hard for the ADD to comprehend right now
    Pullman could definitely have explained some things a bit more clearly. That's really my only complaint about the books, they start out a bit confusing.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

I get it. "Golden Compass" fits thematically with "Subtle Knife" and "Amber Spyglass" in terms of titles. I just think Northern Lights sounds cooler.

As for the world, it took me a while to realize that the world is like ours but with an obvious divergence in terms of history and names.

And I most DEFINITELY am not finishing the book today. I don't know what happened but I got super distracted. But I might be able to finish both it and Subtle Knife tomorrow if I focus. Subtle Knife is like 60 pages shorter so it's doable.

I just don't know how I managed to read Expanse books 1-7 in one week (seven books in seven days) when I can barely seem to focus on this.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

His Dark Materials are a Treat, they're my favourite books. Remember to read the short stories and the Books of Dust- I'm only at book 30 or so of the year, You definitely outpace me. Pullman prose is something unique, ablaze with light and life. The writing is exquisite; every sentence sings ... To read Pullman is to experience the world refreshed, aglow. "The evening sky was awash with peach, apricot, cream: tender little ice-cream clouds in a wide orange sky." Short sentence, but wow, what a rare beauty of a view, definitely made me appreciate the next time ice cream clouds had orange pillars of light peaking out through its fluff. His great prose is not overly long or use convoluted words.
    “We don’t need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do’s and don’ts: we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.”

— Philip Pullman
    I am currently reading Skin Game

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Currently reading Noumenon Ultra by Marina J. Lostetter...

It is part 3 of a trilogy... some interesting ideas going on, but I'm also finding it heavy reading. Heavier than parts 1 and 2. Not heavy from a literature perspective, but from a scattered narrative perspective.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Pan Michael by Henryk Sienkiewicz the tribology of Fire and Sword and the Deluge.
    Bearing in mind it is translated from 19th century Polish it is one of finest "classics" I had the pleasure of reading

Blog Entries

Finished War of the Worlds (re-read, but read it like 13 years ago) and The Subtle Knife this week. Will likely finish Amber Spyglass and Son of Neptune this upcoming week. Both are a lot longer than I thought so idk if I can read 1000 pages this upcoming week but I will certain try.

Also bought the entire Cthulhu mythos collection and will be reading all those things during my breaks at work since they are short. Not sure if I will count it as one book or just a collection of short stories by the end.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

Uhhh!! looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Don't miss out on the short stories or the Books of Dust.
    I'm currently reading The Secret Commonwealth again, and Battle Ground(First time).
    Never read war of the worlds, or the Expanse books, I might take them next!