Thread: Suggestions for beginning a mod

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Default Suggestions for beginning a mod

I may not be posting this in the proper place but since I started out as a mapper and was sort of converted into a coder and designer, I felt this is the best place for it.

For anyone who wishes to begin a new mod and especially one that you would like to easily share with others, I suggest you read and become familiar with How to use the -mod:my_mod commande line switch

I still think that Myrddraal's tutorial on creating a new map is a must read and the way he has you set up the provincial mod folder works fine so long as the only thing you are doing in editing the map and changing the names of the provinces, cities, and changing faction ownership and such. But once you begin editing all the files in the data folder and changing ground textures and editing climates, and making new faction names and symbols and new models etc, then you start editing things that once changed you will need to either send your entire data folder off or remember which files you editied to send to others.

If you begin with a my_mod folder early on, this will make the processs of packing everything up to share with others so much easier. And it has the added benefit of not messing with your vanilla campaign.

I never even heard of the my_mod folder until last week when I was telling Roman Man#3 that I would send him the entire data folder because i had made so many changes to the mod I was working on. He laughed and told me to check out the my_mod folder tutorials. It took me about three days working late into the night to get all the files I had edited, re-path all the units and textures, and test it, but when complete, I had a 160mg.rar file instead a 2G Data file that was our entire mod. This included everything from the splash screen, to the faction selection icons, to our new models, and all my climate edits.

Also, I now knew all the files I edited and it was easy to find them if I had a problem. And I could send this folder out to the other members of the team and easily update them since they only had a few folders to find things in rather than having to become familiar with every aspect of the RTW Data folder.

Anyway, all this to say, creating a my_mod folder and placing all your changes in there will save you time and be more convenient in the long run. And now that I've begun using it, I can't think of any reasons not to.
    Last edited by Ramashan; March 03, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Default Re: Suggesting for beginning a mod

That's something that even major mods do not always do, and it's a pity, because ideally all mods should be completely modfoldered and therefore completely compatible with each other. Good advice though.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

A good reminder. It certainly is better in every way to use a modfolder. This method was unknown in the early days of RTW modding. It took me about 3 intense days to convert FATW to it when it was discovered (revealed).

I've recently added a list of files using fatw as an example, and Mak has added some things I missed.... See: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44332

The TWC wiki contains a list of modfoldered mods in the Quickfinder tables here: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods - if anyone wants me to update their modfolder status in that table then just let me know
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I'll be updating it once TE Gold is out, it will be completely mod foldered.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Suggestion for beginning a mod

Great news, Lusted - I will be able to play it at last

EDIT: Apoc or someone - move this to the right place. Thx

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Suggestion for beginning a mod

**EDITIED** I'm glad to see others feel the same way as I do about mod folders.
    Last edited by Ramashan; March 03, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Suggestions for beginning a mod

Bless the mod folders mod. RTR PE decided to go mod foldered for 1.9 (though it still have the normal version) though the plan exist since 1.6 or 1.7 when Stuie helped us (he was mod-foldering TFT at that time).

However, there's a question regarding the BI mod folder mods or mods that uses BI.exe, for example TIC.

Some (like FATW) creates a new folder (for mod) in bi folder, copying the bi/data folder while TIC uses the RTW mod foldered concept even though it's using BI.exe

The question is what are the diffences between these 2 mod folderevd version ? Are there issues like some features cannot be done with this or that version etc ? IRRC using the bi/ci folder one needs to copy the whole bi/data folder to ci but in TIC, since we're using BI models/skins for agents (spy/assasins) I just edit the file to read from bi/data folder instead of copying the texture/model from bi/data to tic/data

Some needs to copy though like the barbarian high level city/buildings (which were not used in TIC, but will be use in RTR VII).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I hope Makanyane might chip in here because I am a terribly forgetful old fellow

To be honest, I have not considered the non-subfoldered modfolder approach. It does deserve more thinking about. I was under the impression such setups came from mods originally and primarily designed to work off the RTW exe.

Anyway, the format for BI mods (posted by CA staff as well I believe) was to use the BI subfolder approach with accompanying switch.

As you know, RTW mods can just put changed files in a modfolder (as long as the campaign and campaign text files are present, modded or not). But BI is different and afaik no one has brought out a definitive list of what is required.

As this is the case then some form of copying must occur OR the files are packed into the download and make the file bigger for the player. I cannot remember how TIC works but it has the 91.7 meg vanilla BI ITEMS folder present for example (and probably a few other bits).

With some research a better way could probably be found. It's just a matter of really understanding all that changed with BI

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

@MoN

To be honest, I have not considered the non-subfoldered modfolder approach. It does deserve more thinking about. I was under the impression such setups came from mods originally and primarily designed to work off the RTW exe.
    Yes, but an earlier version of RTR 7 map which I did was using BI vanilla engine names and it works with the non-subfoldered modfolder approach too. However I think we decided to stick with RTW engine names for easier coding..

I cannot remember how TIC works but it has the 91.7 meg vanilla BI ITEMS folder present for example (and probably a few other bits).
    Yes, TIC does copy some vanilla BI files to give barbarian faction the ability to get to large and huge level cities.

Anyway this probably should go into the mod folder discussion.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Jarlaxe's Avatar Heavy Building Industry

hi
    i agree with all the above but i have a multiple guestion.
    making a mod with atw or bitw requires the one or the other expansion to play?and if so how can we use the engine of one expansion and play the mod without having the epansion,maybe is a simple guestion but i'm very new in modding,i'm working on a mod with atw 3 weeks now,i made a new map,i added the factions i wanted ,the colours,the symbols,the names ,the cultures,night battles ,religion renamed many many things and i only have 20 units created until now for only 2 factions from 11 and the size folder is already at 200mb and i already erased the expansion units and many things i didn't need and also the historical battles of atw,as i see it when i finish i would probably exceed 400 mb and for the cas files i use only one model for 3,4 or 5 entries that reguires the model_flexi for a unit in DMB....and the tga cards,textures etc are converted to tga.dds format.
    the question is this
    what else we don't need from an expansion pack(from the vanilla rtw is much easier i think) to not use in our mod folder and repath it to the vanilla rtw and do not have the expansion so we could be capable of reducing the mod folder size?

Good topic Rama

The only problem is that really 'big' mods , don't use a modfolder because they simply have to edit an enormous amount of files .. For instance RS ..

Theoden,

EB is fully modfoldered. I'm not sure you can get any "bigger" than that.

Jarlaxe,

I don't fully understand your question. Of course you need the BI or Alex exes if you are making a BI or Alex mod!

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

for people that wants to start/make a mod here's a mod-folder resource:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=331544

Have fun modding!

Nepos's Avatar Libertus

A Hundred Year's War mod would be great, with two main factions England and France, with Scotland, Flemmings, Hainaulters, Genoa/Milan, Spain and Holy Roman Empire. The campaign map would be much smaller and more detailed, with units able to temporarily disband and do chevauchees