Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidvs/Brvtvs (II)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidvs/Brvtvs (II)

Roman Temple of Concord, Valley of the Temples in Agrigento, Sicily.
    This Term:

Lucius Aurelius Lepidus - Senior Consul
    Decimus Iunius Brutus
    - Junior Consul
    Quintus Marius Parthicus - Tribune of Plebes
    Marcus Valerius Corvinus - Tribune of Plebes
    Servius Labienus - Tribune of Plebes

Antonius Claudius Fidelius - Praetor

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidvs/Brvtvs

The newly elected Tribune Corvinvs strides through the Forvm with a sheer look of confidence and victory on his face. While walking to the Senate Hall, Corvinvs listens to the applause of the Plebs and, metaphorically, it is music to his ears. He then silently sits in his seat and thanks the Senators who voted for him.

"To start things off quickly, I propose that the Senior Consul should be sent to Messana immediately so that we can gain new lands for the Capite Censi, the Plebeians, and our elderly veterans."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

as returning to the senate house for the first time since last term, V Equestris feels no stress in being a normal senator
    "how many legions do we have for the invasion?"
    ooc, can someone post a screenshot of sicily?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The newly elected Senior Consul strides forth, sitting in his Curile chair.

" Senators, I will brief you fully in a short time, as soon as I get the pertinent information. (ooc: as soon as I get RS fully installed) Until then, I ask that you put forth any motions not pertaining to Sicily, as I will be convening the senate once I return for a full strategy session. Thank you."

The Consul strides out the doors of the Cvria, followed by his lictors.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Consul Brutus enters the Senate House with a steady rhythm, accompanied by 10 lictors. Brutus greets everyone on the Senate, shaking hands right and left before he proceeds towards the Curile Seat, besides Lepidus. Once seated, Brutus makes a notion to the Jupiter's priest to start the session formally. After the traditional rituals have been done, Brutus raises his hands and speaks to the Senate of Rome:

"Esteemed Senators! Please be seated and make yourselves comfortable; the session will begin immediately."

After some deliberations with Lepidus, Brutus takes the lead on addressing the Senate, providing the noblemen with a speech.

"Senators, Brothers! In the dawn of this new term, I wish to renew the vows of unity and stability between the classes of Rome. During mine and Lepidus's term, we demand that all "sides" are heard and served in the Senate.

But unfortunately, this term isn't one of peace but of war. We must look on Sicily with the utmost seriousness and with no personal ambitions do what is proper for the Republic. I heartily comment the motion of Tribune Corvinus: the Consul should march towards the town of Catana (we own Messana already!) and take this settlement for the glory of the Republic. Further, I also move that Imperium given to former Consul Corvinus should be given also to Consul Lepidus in order to untie his hands to deal with the Sicilian trouble.

Lastly, I will appoint the Censor and Princeps Senatus for the coming term: I name Servius Labienus Censor and Marcus Aelius Triarius Princeps Senatus for the duration of this term. Congratulations for your appointment, Senators! Now, let's get down to business, shall we?"
    Last edited by Kritias; March 02, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius Parthicus walks in and sits down on his Tribune's seat

Sorry I am late, senators, I have been delayed at my house by a massive amount of clients congratulating me for my win in the Tribunal elections. I also support the motion that the Senior Consul be sent to Sicily to conduct the war against the Syracusans. Does anyone think that we need to ask for a temporary ceasefire against Carthage while we gain ground in Sicily?
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; March 03, 2008 at 02:44 AM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Consul returns to the senate, carrying a number of very, very large scrolls with lictors and legates in tow.

"Senators, the situation in Sicily is breaking in our favor, but the Greeks own a large part of the Island. Our armies are separated by the Greek city of Catana, and they are in need of reinforcement to assure victory."

CONSULAR REPORT: 511 Ab Urbe Condite
    The Consul unrolls two of the massive scrolls, one being a map of Roman lands, the other containing the troop levels for the Sicilian armies.

The lands controlled by Rome in this year 511. Note that our footholds in Sicily are separated by an area of Greek control. This will be important later.

This is the legion that currently resides in Messana. They are at full strength and are ready to fight. I will lead this legion personally.

The legion currently in Syracuse. They are worn down by battle and are in need of reinforcement. The city is safe, but the surrounding lands are controlled by roving bands of Greek remnants.

Lepidus unrolls an even more massive scroll on the floor of the senate, ordering two slaves to roll up the previous ones to make room.

This is a list of the troop numbers of every town in Italy, Corsica, and Sardinia not mainly garrisoned by militia. Note the massive numbers on troops on the islands.

I believe that we can remove some of these troops without incident. My scouts report that there are no enemy forces remaining on either island, and removing just a few cohorts from each to supplement our forces on Sicily would not pose a major risk to the island's defenses.

Now, as I mentioned before, Syracuse and Messana are cut off from each other. This is an issue, as we cannot easily relay messages, supplies, or orders by land between them; It has to be done by sea, where we are very much at risk because of our weak navy. Therefore, I plan to use the legion at Messana to assault the town of Catana. This is where the Greeks have concentrated their troops in the area.

The Consul unfurls another scroll, this time right over the previous.

The first part of the plan is to blockade the port of Catana, to stop any trade activities in the port. Simultaneously, the legion at Messana will besiege the town, either starving it out or taking it with battering rams. Once the town is taken, we will have unfettered access to Syracuse in the south.

Speaking of the south...

The Consul unfurls yet another scroll, alongside the last.

Syracuse is surrounded by the remnants of an army. They are separate, and thus they are weak. Therefore, I have dispatched orders to the commander in the city to send out parties to destroy these forces before they can join and form any meaningful obstacle.

I beleive, and my commanders agree, that any attack on Syracuse will have to cross this bridge here...

The Consul indicates a bridge on the map.

Therefore, once the enemies outside Syracuse are destroyed, the legion will move forth to the bridge and gather intelligence on what lies ahead. Should there be heavy enemy concentrations, we will let them come to us, having to cross the bridge to reach us. This will result in a quick and easy victory.

However, should the troop levels seem lower, our men will drive forward into Syracusan territory.

The Consul looks up.

Any questions?

That took one hell of a long time.

As V Equestris rose up to the strategy table he smiled
    "Things look good here, Syracuse will be free from our enemies and the siege of Catana will be a victory. But knowing the enemy's strength is a key. After we are victorious at Catana and Syracuse, we need to rest and lick the legions wounds. We must scout our foes at this time and raise a spy, and 4 units of the cheapest calvary. We should do some reconnasine and determine what we can do from there. Scouting is a must and i hope that ill meet you here in victory and after thurough scouting.
    he lets the rest of the senate to reply...

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Consul speaks

"Yes I plan to raise spies as well, to explore the west of the island. However, Syracuse has been at war for the much to the past ten years, and I doubt with their economy they could field an significant force."

EDIT

Here's the current save.

I've already p'med it to the Censor.
    Last edited by Winter; March 02, 2008 at 08:46 PM.

yes but an effective ambush could stall the invasion or even stop it until totally new legions are raised. Their economy might be low, but they may have large armies that were already raised before they were at war. As a faithful member of the dominus, i dont want to see an invasion ruined or innocen plebs lost because of an ambush.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I understand your hesitance, senator, but I am certain that the way to Catana is clear. By the time the town is besieged, we will have the scouts, and will know the composition and location of the enemy armies.

Quintus Marius Parthicus stands and acknowledges our consul:

I believe this to be a brilliant plan. However, I wish to make an additional comment.
    Since our troop garrisons on the islands of Sardinia and Corsica are almost bursting, I suggest we take fleets and ship say 2 or 3 cohorts from each and land them near Messana. Then while the current Messanan army is attacking Cantana, the cohorts from the islands can act as a back-up army in Messana, both to protect the city and to reinforce our consul in case he runs into more trouble than expected. Anyone else in favour of this motion?

ooc: Who is the censor now?

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Junior Consul Decimvs Ivnivs, I thank you for the appointment as Censor. It behoves me to ask what plans the consuls have for this term besides war with our neighbours?
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Right now my full attention is on ending the war in Sicily as quickly and as easily as possible.

Brutus addressed the Senate after the war plans have been stated:

"Senators, it would be a lie to tell you that I am not happily surprised by the report provided by Consul Lepidus. I understand that all aspects of an invasion or a counter attack have been foreseen. For that, I applaud your efforts, Consul.

Now, if I may, I would like to propose an alternative action; the Greeks in Sicily are broken, their armies crumbled -- something that can be easily seen from how little interest the Greeks have shown on recapturing their capital city. However, there's no doubt that they still have a semblance of an army either garrisoning the towns of western Sicily or abroad. I propose the following course of action: I say that we siege the Greeks in Catana out, starving them while anticipating reinforcements to come to the town's salvation. I say we wait and give them a chance to provide us with a decisive battle. If we win, all the more spoils and glory for the Republic - the rest Sicilian towns will be left undefended and ripe for the taking. And if we are to die, we have more soldiers coming to the island so even if we lose, we'll have inflicted an unrepairable damage to the enemy. In any case, we have only to gain from such an action. I understand that many will raise the issue of higher casualties, but empires are not constructed by timidity, Senators: we must risk in order to gain!"

Brutus paused there to see the response of the Senate. He then continued addressing the matter posed by Censor Labienus:

"Labiene, you are right; this term shouldn't be one of war. We must strive to end this offensive action against the Sicilians as fast as possible and then focus on the interior matters. I propose that we begin the construction of market places and estates(farms) that will be given to deserving Roman families throughout the Republic's holds. I however wish to hear the Senate's disposition before laying a formal motion for such internal problems."
    Last edited by Kritias; March 03, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

I do not take likely to the fact that we will be spending Roman lives at the result of having more towns in the fold that will require management and time. The current italian allies need more from Rome than to have their sons taken away for Romes Battles. What assurance do we have that the armies will be led by sanity and not greed. What assurance do we have that the lives of our italian allies and roman troops are not wasted.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Marius thoughtfully mulls over Brutus' idea in his mind, and also takes into account Labienus' thoughts:

I like the thought of drawing out the Syracusan armies to break themselves upon our rock, but for humanitarian reasons, we cannot just leave an army there to be the rock, and keep putting more troops on there if the rock falls. That is just a waste of lives. Remember that if you are waiting for the Syracusans while laying siege to Catana, the troops inside Catana will also turn out as reinforcements, and they can also recruit.

I propose that we take Catana and quickly and as bloodlessly as possible (without adhering to bribes) and then build up the armies in all three of those eastern cities, both by recruitment and transportation from Italy. Then, when we have enough troops, we launch a three pronged attack against western Sicily:
    1. Going from Messana following the northern coast around the mountain.
    2. Going from Catana straight west across the ford in the river.
    3. Going from Syracuse across the bridge that we are currently "blockading"

I believe this way is the best to finish the war as quickly as possible.

"Senators, you are missing the point; the point is to destroy the enemy once and for all, vanquishing their armies from the face of the universe. If we give them time, they can very well rebuild their Kingdom and then we will have much more than an army to face. If instead we force them into battle, a battle that they did not choose to fight, we have the upper ground! Consul Lepidus will crush the Sicilians as if they were insects! We must give our forces in Sicily the opportunity to destroy the enemy with one glorious swing of the gladius and not give our enemies the opportunity to create Sicily into a no-man's land, where our troops, citizens and merchants will have to cope with guerrilla attacks all the time.

Senators, I urge you to see reason here; if we take the city fast, they will gather their forces in the western part of the island and thus they will bolster their defenses, making the conquest ultimately harder for Lepidus. But if we were to give them a false hope, that they could rescue Catana and the people inside, we would draw them in a place to fight where we will have an unassailable advantage in men and resources to win the decisive battle! Their reinforcing army will be tired from the endless marching to reach Catana while the forth sailing garrison will be starving to death -- ergo, weak! Who can swing and hold a sword if he has not eaten for months? I ask you who would be able to fight had he lacked food for months! None is the only answer, Senators and make no mistake about it."

I here your words consul Decimus Iunius, But I remain sceptical. I do not wish to see roman lives wasted based on assumptions. The senior consul who leads this arena must give the senate his word that roman lives will not be wasted. The men fielding this army must be able to return home after their campigning in good health and not carried in a flask by his co-patriots. As for their italian counterparts it behoves me to have this same word taken on thier lives.

Voice Chat @ Discord

" I have every confidence that Lepidus will succeed in this mission. We will crush them, there's no doubt in my mind, Labienus. As for the soldiers, I can find no fitting way for the Populares to prove their love for the people, and I say that will full hearty sincerity, than to keep alive the best(meaning the most) part of our legions, whether they are Roman citizens or Socii. What do you say, oh Lepide?"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast