Thread: PDER- Ruling the Center of the World AAR

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Default PDER- Ruling the Center of the World AAR

Ruling the Center of the World
    Kievan Rus AAR
    Playing H/H, PDER 1.0 with some slight modifications

1080 AD

In the middle of the World, lies a state which is said to have been founded in Novgorod by the Varangian called Rurik but he would later expand south where he founded the city of Kiev which would be the new capital of the newly found state and where later exotic goods from all parts of Europe and the Middle East would traded daily in the center of the city.

Under the great Vladimir I the Kievan people were christanized and under Yaroslav I it became a great military power and dominated much of Eastern Europe.

But now the people are divided, with former Kievan cities creating their own independent states, such as the rising power of Novgorod. Now this once huge state may be facing its decline...

(( More to come ))
    Last edited by hekk; February 27, 2008 at 01:51 PM.

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: PDER- Ruling the Center of the World AAR

I like the start, and by the look of the starting date I am guessing Orkney and Lund is included
    It's redundant to write your username at the end of your post,
    if I wanted to see your name I'd look to the left of my screen.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Yeah, this one looks interesting. Gonna keep my eye on it!

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

looks promising

Senator

Thanks, more to come tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by King Yngvar View Post
    I like the start, and by the look of the starting date I am guessing Orkney and Lund is included
    Hehe, yeah, but only Orkney I think, forgot to update.

Senator

1080-1081 AD

Far to the East of Europe, lies the city of Kiev where the grand prince Vsevolod resides. With its large population and trade, the streets are scenes of business and few stand still in its center. With the newly raised taxes, the city is has become a harsh place to live but few dare to make any complaints with the Grand Prince's unforgiving guards working day and night through every corner of the city.

Inside the Council, a discussion takes between the noblemen. Vsevolod sits and observes with him leaning his face on his hand while his elbow is leaning on the arm of the throne seat. The usual prattle and shouts are tossed at each other. But then a old nobleman stands up and signals for the noblemen to be quiet.
    'Grand Prince, if I may speak?' asks the man with a smug expression on his face.
    'Yes, yes, continue' Vsevolod replies and nods, and sighs.
    'As most of you know, the cities and villages of the South to the Crimea were overrunned by the savage Cuman tribes some years ago...'
    The noblemen nod and some murmur.
    'This is an embarrassment! The children of the Rurik have been mercilessly slaughtered by these Asian barbarians, and yet no action has been taken!'
    The nobility rise from their seats and loudly and heartly agree.
    'Therefore, I request that we liberate the former Kievan cities of the South and fight these pagan hordes and send them back to the Asian desert they were born!'
    They cheer and clap, while the old man takes his seat.

The Grand Prince rises, and the noblemen being to calm and mute.
    'It is true, this is indeed an embarrassment... but such a campaign would require a few years to train an experienced enough army and of course some money. I may have to raise the taxes yet again.' states Vsevovold calmly. 'So if you truely wish this, then I will send my son Vladimir to initiate the liberation of the South.'
    Knowing that the taxes do not affect them, the noblemen agree and clap.

While conducting business in the Town Hall of Pinsk, the governer Yaropolk is met by a Novgorodian wearing distinct Western clothes.
    'Hail, Governer. The great Grand Prince of Novgorod offers the right to trade between our two states.'
    Yaropolk raises an eyebrow.
    'Why do ask me of this? I do not make such decisions. Has Novgorod forgotten the path to their father's capital completely?'
    'I apologize, my true destination is in Constantinople...' Yaropolk interrupts
    'I don't care wether you're going skiing in the Moon. Do not insult me with excuses,' The diplomat shakes and apologizes. 'but you're lucky, I might just need a few extra coins in my city, and I will accept the offer.'

In Cracow, the Kievan diplomat called Stepan who has the ability to speak many languages, waits patiently for the Polish duke in his empty dining room. Stepan stares at the decorated table and chairs for a moment, but then is interrupted by the duke's arrival.
    'Welcome 'Rus! I apologize for my delay.' greets and explains the duke.
    'No apology needed, sir.' Stepan replies and smiles.
    'Well then let me apologize now, for I have not eaten much today,' the duke signals to the servants 'will you perhaps join me for some dinner?
    'That is most kind, sir...' Stepan shows a grin of relief.

With meat, fruit and wine served the diplomat and duke enjoy the refreshing feast.
    'Now, tell me what is it the Grand Prince wishes from Poland?' while taking a swig of his wine.
    'Well sir, the Grand Prince has come to offer trade rights between our nations,' the duke nods while Stepan speaks 'and an alliance between our people, could prove to be most beneficial. If Poland is attacked, then Grand Prince will promise aid with soldiers, but a sword to the invader, if duke promises the same if the state of Kiev is in such a situation.'

The duke grins and then chuckles.
    'A grand offer that only a fool would refuse, but I should warn you we've mostly been attacked by the Germans to the West, so if Kiev truly is willing to march to such a distant land alongside us then we will do the same.'

Stepan steps out to the street of Cracow and inhales the fresh air, and enjoys the scene of the center. The seemingly busy and non-stopping people reminds him of Kiev. He smiles while walking through the center to the gates.

When he gets closer to gates, he sees masses of the poor and starving surrounding the dull and colorless district. Most of them look at the ground with a hopeless expression in their eyes, while the rest lie on the ground and groan. The more fortunate Poles choose to ignore them completely while the guards keep their cautious eyes on them. A tradesman passes by and quietly curses about them to himself.

((Changed start-date for more accurate the family trees))
    Last edited by hekk; February 27, 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

I like this AAR. Very atmospheric. I can't do dialog like you, so I like it. Adds depth.

Now I can't wait to see some Cuman ***-whooping!

Senator

Sorry about the being so late...

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    I like this AAR.
    I like this mod!

Very atmospheric. I can't do dialog like you, so I like it. Adds depth.
    Thank you very much!

Now I can't wait to see some Cuman ***-whooping!
    Neither can I!

1081-1082 AD

In the quiet midnight, some miles from the town of Zhytomyr, prince Vladimir strolls pass the tents in the camp. With most of the soldiers in deep sleep, Vladimir takes his momemt and enjoys the company of the falling snow. The only sound he hears are from the crunches of his steps and the gentle blowing wind. Thoughts of old memories passes his mind.

As he makes his way closer to his private tent, he hears some murmurs nearby. Vladimir walks and follows the sounds of the murmur, as he gets closer he sees two men who seem to be examining a flat but wide stone.
    'My lord...!' says startled the bearded one.
    'What are you two doing? Why aren't you in your tents?' asks Vladimir.
    'Uhh well, sir... I stumbled on this stone and noticed some beautiful carvings on it' responds the other man.
    'Ohh?' Vladimir kneels by the stone and takes a closer look.
    'I was just trying to get him back in the tent, but he won't stop looking at the thing...' answers the bearded man.
    'What are your names?' asks Vladimir while he rubs off the snow from the stone.
    'I am Oleg sir,' replies the bearded one and points to the other man 'this is Sviatoslav.'
    As Vladimir rubs off the snow the details of the carvings become more appearant, the carvings shows what appears to be two divided groups of horsemen.
    'Who are they supposed to be? The Cumans?'
    'I think its older than them my lord. I think it is supposed to show a migration...' says Sviatoslav 'my grandfather once told me a time where there were huge changes in these lands, events where many people were slaughtered by hordes of foreigners.'
    'Heh, I've heard such stories, as well...' says Vladimir smiles, while putting his hand on the carved horseman and begins to stare at it. He imagines the thundering sounds of thousands of running horses. Then he hears the steps and roar of a beast, he would think his imagination was alive.
    'Prince Vladimir!' a nearby call that startles Vladimir.
    'Get back into your tents.' orders Vladimir to the two men and marches hastily to the call. He turns around his large tent and discovers a young horseman covered in dirt.
    'My lord, I bring you an important letter from the Grand Prince' explains the young man while taking out a jug from his belt and putting it in his mouth and takes long gulps from it.
    'Is it so important that you had to wake up all the men while delivering it?' ask Vladimir and stares at the horseman. He struggles with the water in his mouth but finishes it. He nods repeatly.
    'Yes I think so, sir,' explains the youth and holds out the letter 'the Grand Prince told me to directly deliever it to you as soon as possibly.'
    Vladimir sighs and shakes his head, then grabs letter from the horseman.

Further south, the young scout called Sudimir hides in a cart, wrapped completely in cloth. He hears the moving wheels and his body suffers from the repeating bumps of the unruly ground.
    'How much longer is this going to take...?' he whispers to himself, and the cart answers with a bump to his head.

But then the cart stops, Sudimir takes the moment of peace and exhales the breath from him. He hears foreign words being spoken and steps getting as they get closer to him. He quickly changes to being cautious and nervous. He soon feels being poked with something, and then quickly a slam to his head is struck. His head tilts around a little, his mind quickly shuts itself and his night ends.

He hears painful echos and shouts. The feeling of splattered cold water wakes him up. He feels his hand tied up to the ceiling, his body tilting to the wall and struggles to lift up his head. The room smells of farm animals and he spots the ground surrounded with hay.

His throat then is choked by a hand and pulled up to the wall and he hears chuckles.
    'So... we have coward 'Rus that spy us, huh?!' Asks the voice in a foreign accent, Sudimir lifts his eyes to the one talking and holding him to the wall. He quickly spots the foreign features and dark skin, the foreigner smiles and then punches him in the face.
    'You pick bad path, Rus'...' the foreigner begin lightens his grip on Sudimir '...you die... but not now...'. He slowly draws out a short curved sword. Sudimir begins gulp and sweat, and he looks up to the ceiling.
    'Oh no... oh hell...' he whispers to himself.
    'This going be painful, but if you tell me why you here, I kill you fast' offers the Cuman.
    '...I'll tell you if you let me go alive...!' replies Sudimir and shows signs of panic.
    'Heheh, no, there no way. You tell me now, I kill you now or
    I cut off your foot this day, bandage it and then you die after week of more torture.'
    'No...! You let me go now, you bastard!' shouts Sudimir in panic and struggles to get his hand out of the rope. The Cuman grabs Sudimir's leg and places his sword close onto Sudimir's leg and Sudimir begins to stop struggling.
    'Will you tell and die quick?!' shouts the foreigner. Sudimir, unwilling to answer, breathes exhaustingly and some tears begin to fall from his eyes. The Cuman grunts and begins to slowly saw on his leg. Sudimir begins to shout and groan.
    '...Alright! Stop! Stop!' he cries out 'I was sent here by Kievans to give them information about your army and this place's weak points!' The Cuman stops and pulls out his sword, he becomes cautious.
    'Why they want to know?!' asks the foreigner.
    'Because their coming here, their invading...!' responds Sudimir. The Cuman's face turns red and angry, his hand that holds the sword shakes.
    '...now... kill me... already...' asks Sudimir. The Cuman stares at him with furious eyes and breathes with unrest. He places his sword near Sudimir's leg again and readies to slash.
    'Wait, not like...!' the foreigner quickly slices through Sudimir's leg. Sudimir begins to scream out in pain, as the Cuman cuts his other leg., blood quickly stream down from the sliced legs.

The foreigner quickly storms out of the house, trying to escape the loud screams. He trips down from a stone and a man runs to him.
    'Imek, what in the Gods name have you done?!' ask the man. Imek tries to pull himself up from the ground and struggles to breathe properly.
    '...tell the chief, that the are 'Rus invading...'
    'But...!'
    'Do it now, you stupid fool!'
    The man begins to run back to the village. With his knees on the ground, Imek holds up his shaking and bloody hands.
    He lifts his head to sky, rubs his hair covered with blood and tries to calm down, but the screams and cries continue to be heard the from the farmhouse.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Is this AAR still being updated?
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Senator

Ehrm... not sure, I suppose I got less motivated to do it after so few comments.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Oh

It was quite a good start imo.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

joemo's Avatar Tiro

will plus rep help you get motivated

and social i noticed you like aars i can't wait for pder 2
    Last edited by joemo; September 08, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
    my zero turn recruitment mod for eb click on the smily
    click on this smiley for no clamour for reform

This is good, great even. Makes me want to play the same! +1 Rep