Thread: Pro Deo Et Rege- The Norwegians AAR

Default Pro Deo Et Rege- The Norwegians AAR

This AAR can also be found in the AAR forum.

This is an after action report using the mod "Pro Deo Et Rege".

Kongeriket Norge(Norway)

The year is 1080. It is the reign of King Olaf. He is young, energic, and ambitious. His goal is become a legendary conquerer that would be known throughout Europe and beyond.

After careful planning he decided his first target would be Scotland. The Scots were a weak and divided people which made them easy prey for Olaf. After forming a sizeable army he landed in Scotland and beseiged the capital, Dun Eideann.

After a long siege, the Scots amassed a small force to attack Olaf. However, the Scots could never gain a victory because their forces were divided into 3 armies. Therefore, the Norwegians could destroy each army, one at a time.

The Battle of Lodainn

The Norwegian army was at full strength and was led by King Olaf who was a capable commander. He had fought in many previous battles and was popular among his men. Most of the Norwegian soldiers were infantry armed with spears and axes. However, there were 360 archers who could decimate enemy formations with ease.

The Scottish armies were poorly led by Captains Mael Bricin and Seumas and Etmond mac Donnchada. Both captains were bad commanders and Etmond had never even seen battle. The Scots also were understrength due to a long siege and had only 120 archers. In addition the Scottish force was half the size of the Norwegian army.

King Olaf's ease at the sight of battle calmed many of his men who were about to fight for the first time.

Soon one of the Scottish armies appeared.

The Norwegian archers soon opened fire and fired a series of volleys that devastated the advancing Scottish force.

The continuous hail of arrows finally forced the Scottish army to retreat.

The Scottish army was butchered. The line of Scottish corpes was at least a quarter of a mile long.

As soon as the first Scottish army fled the other two moved towards the Norwegians to prepared to attack. The Scottish plan was for their archers to fire on the Norwegian left flank while the Scottish infantry and cavalry would attack the Norwegian right flank. However, Etmond, who had never battle before, failed to notice that the Scottish archers would be left unguarded against a cavalry attack.

King Olaf noticed that the Scottish archers were vulnerable and decided to defeat them before they could seriously damage his own army. Olaf then lowered his lance and personally led the Norwegian cavalry in an attack against the Scottish archers.

The Scottish captain tried to lead an orderly retreat though his forces fled once he was killed.

Meanwhile, on the Norwegian right flank Etmond ordered the remaining Scottish army to attack.

Upon seeing the Scottish attack, King Olaf charged Etmond's bodyguard.

The sight of King Olaf's bodyguard scared the Scottish infantry and they began to retreat.

Olaf's bodguard soon collided with Etmond's and a brutal fight ensued.

Etmond was terrified of battle and soon fled. His remaining bodyguards followed behind him

However, Etmond's cowardice did him no good. As he fled Olaf's bodyguard's captured him.

Soon the remaining Scottish forces were in full flight.

The battle was over. The Scots had lost 89% of their force while the Norwegians suffered only 20 casualties. The battle had been a debacle for the Scots. More Norwegians had died from friendly fire then Scottish soldiers. The battle of Lodainn was not a battle, it was a massacre.

Over 100 Scots were captured including Etmond. Olaf had no mercy and ordered them to be executed. The Scots were appalled by the executions especially since Etmond was only 14 years old.

Suddently, another Scottish force appeared. The fight for Dun Eideann was not over yet....

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Default Re: Pro Deo Et Rege- The Norwegians AAR

awesome AAR, thanks

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Oh man, wasn't Olaf supposed to be the "quiet" or "peaceful"? Butchering 14-year olds! Man that's low!

I like it though, keep it coming!

awesome AAR, thanks
    Thanks!

Oh man, wasn't Olaf supposed to be the "quiet" or "peaceful"? Butchering 14-year olds! Man that's low!
    I guess I changed history in a wierd way

I like it though, keep it coming!
    Thanks!

uhm i have a few questions though^^

i am wondering how are you supposed to stack units to 120's, 150's etc. The doubling of your unit-strength. Is it a little mod itself?

Im playing Norge atm myself and its not that easy as it looks like here. Maybe its just the fact im playing on "hard" mode. As well as campaign AI and Batlle AI.
    This is how it looks on my side. Nearly 100 years passed by im not as far as i was w/o the mod. I recognized the prizes of buiildings and nevertheless the buildingtime itself grew alot giving the game far more tactical balance. i was barely able to clean the norway region from rebels in a short period of time since my tax income was that low tha i couldnt even build up more than one 3/4 full army. After "freeing" Ireland from the rebels i was forced to dismiss alot of units. I had to repoduce them all and had to wait like 15 Years to get enough wealth to invade Scotland

But back to your topic. Nice, very nice report you gave us from you playing Norge. I enjoyed reading it ^_^
    Last edited by Graye; February 20, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks! I am glad you like it. I plan on releasing part II very soon.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

looking forward to this, this is epic stuff

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Anymore? I am playing Norway myself (I changed their religion to Pagan - so no pope and no allies) and i could use some inspiration...

Very clean AAR - almost professional. I look forward to more.