Thread: English Cavalry

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default English Cavalry

This thread is to start to show the English factions type of cavalry units

So to start with we have the basic mailed knight. Wearing surcoat and equipped with heater shields.

and the upgraded mailed knights

This is the Feudal knight

and the upgraded feudal knight

and the armoured retainer of the Plantagenet's

and the Plantagenet's upgraded armoured retainers

Last edited by wilddog; March 05, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

Campidoctor

Default Re: English Cavalry

Very Nice + Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tobolight
    Very Nice + Rep
    Tobolight - thanks for the comment and rep.

Upgraded mail knight also added to first post.

This is a draft version of the feudal knight I'll be using. I intend to use a simplified Caparison on the horses for these units with only some minor patterns added.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

First M2 unit I've seen with a bit of colour..Nice..

Nothing to compare with your models and textures Halie... but thanks.

I'm still fiddling around trying to get the right mix on colour saturation and introducing some basic designs but it's slow work... On the other hand I don't need to have big differences between similar factions (as there weren't any).

New versions of the units mailed knights and feudal knights now posted on the first post.

Plantagenet armoured retainers added to the first post

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...87&postcount=1

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

I am really looking forward to this mod.

Already knew you were a great mapper. Now you're cooking up these lovely units!

Everyones looking forward to PKH!

Id love to play a highly detailed Britannia campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel
    I am really looking forward to this mod.

Already knew you were a great mapper. Now you're cooking up these lovely units!
    Thanks Social_infidel. Its progressing but a bit slow at the moment. I need to start on some of the lighter cavalry next then start on the Infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothe
    Everyones looking forward to PKH!

Id love to play a highly detailed Britannia campaign!
    Lothe thanks. The map is as detailed as I could get it. I still keep editing odd bits (I still spot odd sea triangles I missed ).

I've now added a screen shot of the upgraded armoured retainers to the first page.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...87&postcount=1

I like the look of the retainers ...do you plan to maintain a uniform colour or will you vary the surcoat colour.Second and most pressing are you planning to change the lances and get rid of the vanilla ones?

retainers ...do you plan to maintain a uniform colour or will you vary the surcoat colour.Second and most pressing are you planning to change the lances and get rid of the vanilla ones?
    Guess I need to make the variety a bit more distinctive
    I was already using 3 subtle colour differences for the Plantagenet retainers. They are intended to be more uniformed though as oppose to the levy type units and knights. May not be that historic but its hard to find anything out about them. I will be trying to keep them close to either the faction colurs in the game or the factions leaders colours. Plantagenets really only have the red colour so they are a bit more bland than others will be.

What did you want to change on the lances. I hadn't made up my mind on that although Makanyane also mentioned that. The retainers are like the sergeants armed with a spear rather than a lance (in case you were talking about them rather than the knights.
    Last edited by wilddog; March 05, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

those are nice units indeed.

Wildhunde
    The Knights lances a must but any mounted horseman who carried a polearm would have one with a greater length and elongated tapered head that would yes be more of a lance than the barbed stubby one of vanilla types.
    I always wondered if uniformed colour scheme for retainers was evident during the time? The key type of recognition was the livery badge of the lords house or its many associated symbols that many of the great houses sported.
    My thoughts....
    I carry a message from your many PKH followers ...more SKINs and some teasers from Makanyane excellent factions screens
    Salut

GERMANICUS
    I couldn't make up my mind on the retainers as to whether to change the Lance/spear. My debate was whether they would of been trained specifically with the lance. However I'll probably change it.

I also wasn't sure about whether to partially uniform the retainers. Most as you said would only of had badges but I was trying to differentiate a bit from some of the levy units. For the Plantagenet's its a bit awkward due to their colour scheme. I may well mix in some more 'plain colours'. Actually checked another book and it mentioned some of the more wealth lords may of clothed some of their retainers so I'm likely to keep a bit of a theme there.

Skins are a bit slow at the moment as I'm fiddling with models - I came across an issue on the retainer for another skin due to bone allocation percentages which took a few hours last night to resolve. However I should hopefully post some of the lower ranked infantry soon .. but tomorrow is likely to be slow due to the rugby