Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO DEO ET REGE 1.0 QUESTIONS & SUGGESTIONS

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE 1.0 QUESTIONS & SUGGESTIONS

great mod, just started playing today. One question, is there a way to reduce the distance traveled by armies? the movement points are huge, a Sicilian army traveled all the way to Egypt in only a few turns.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by the bot View Post
    great mod, just started playing today. One question, is there a way to reduce the distance traveled by armies? the movement points are huge, a Sicilian army traveled all the way to Egypt in only a few turns.
    Hey, there thanks for trying out my mod! Yes, there is a way to reduce character move rates. I realize everyone prefers different rates. Here's how.

Go into the PDER_1.0\data folder and look for this file - descr_character.txt

To decrease rates, modify the number following this line starting_action_points.

So to cut generals' rates in half. Edit it from this:

Code:
    starting_action_points    225
    to

Code:
    starting_action_points    150
    or whatever.

Cheers!

If memory serves correct, it should be save-game compatible.

spot on. thanks for that

IIyamaXP's Avatar Libertus

Hi Socal,

Just some thoughts for a probable future patch:

- could you set the trade_fleets for ports this way:
    Castle level 1 and level 2: trade_fleet 1
    Castle level 3: trade_fleet 2

City level X: trade_fleet X (X from 1 to 4)?

- also, it is year 1170 in my campaign and I noticed the following things:
    * No european country declared war on me, though I took some rebel settlements in some important parts of the world (i.e. Toulouse, Antwerpen, Rennes,...)

* I have a lot of generals above 80 years :o

Apart of those points, well done

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IIyamaXP View Post
    Hi Socal,

Just some thoughts for a probable future patch:

- could you set the trade_fleets for ports this way:
    Castle level 1 and level 2: trade_fleet 1
    Castle level 3: trade_fleet 2

City level X: trade_fleet X (X from 1 to 4)?

- also, it is year 1170 in my campaign and I noticed the following things:
    * No european country declared war on me, though I took some rebel settlements in some important parts of the world (i.e. Toulouse, Antwerpen, Rennes,...)

* I have a lot of generals above 80 years :o

Apart of those points, well done
    The relative peace is due to the campaign AI. If you want war, try to snatch one of the rebel regions that the AI has been attacking.

Don't think trade fleets will be increased: trade return is already way high for coastal cities. Just takes a while to get the max in the building chain.

hmmm... regarding AI, I was besieging a city that French wanted to take but they never attacked. They get back home and stay in their areas...

For the trade fleet, I think it is more balanced this way, I tried this and the AI is doing quite well without an AI money help

That were just thoughts, though, the game is quite well-balanced anyway

hmmm... regarding AI, I was besieging a city that French wanted to take but they never attacked. They get back home and stay in their areas...

For the trade fleet, I think it is more balanced this way, I tried this and the AI is doing quite well without an AI money help

That were just thoughts, though, the game is quite well-balanced anyway
    Yeah, we were experiencing way too much trade income. I forget which faction gigantus was playing {Seljuks?}, but he accumulated something like 500K florins in his coffers. Trade bonuses were just too high and money to easy to come by.

But that was before we significantly increased upkeep costs for generals and finalized unit costs and upkeep costs for other units. So maybe I'll look into the effect of adding increased trade fleets in city ports?

What difficulty you playing? I recommend H/VH. And if you want war, sometimes you gotta bring it!

I'm playing my test campaign in M/M with England

Though even with trade fleets as I mentioned, money is not flowing that much (due to upkeeps ) I think I am around +7000 per turn... and with building costs, I rearely have more than +500/+1000 when I do not extend my army to get another settlement.

I'll try a H/VH after I finish my M/M campaign of course

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'm playing my test campaign in M/M with England

Though even with trade fleets as I mentioned, money is not flowing that much (due to upkeeps ) I think I am around +7000 per turn... and with building costs, I rearely have more than +500/+1000 when I do not extend my army to get another settlement.

I'll try a H/VH after I finish my M/M campaign of course
    If you are making 7000 a turn than you are good! Right now it is 1180 in my Aragon campaign and having 'pre-emptive stacks in Sicily and Iberia apart from an invasion force in Italy makes it a good round if I make 6000. Ok, I am playing hard/hard but that doesn't change anything on income or expense in comparison to other levels.
    So - well done so far.

my question is did yall add or change any thing for the English?

Hello everyone.
    1st of all: really nice mod, i like the "political landscape" and the aar.
    Question: What about genoese crossbowmen? i didn't find them via building browser (as Genoa). Can they only be built later on?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Blutaxt II View Post
    Hello everyone.
    1st of all: really nice mod, i like the "political landscape" and the aar.
    Question: What about genoese crossbowmen? i didn't find them via building browser (as Genoa). Can they only be built later on?
    Yeah, there are a number of units that cannot be recruited until an era-based event occurs. So for example, feudal knights require the HEavy Mail event around 1180 or so.

Can't remember what the Genoese crossbowmen requirement is...Oh, alright, Ill look it up for you...cause I'm nice!

They get them around 1300...or so...long time I know...They require the Pavise Shield events...

If you think a date should be otherwise, please advocate for it...nothing is set in stone...

Quote Originally Posted by bohema View Post
    my question is did yall add or change any thing for the English?
    They get a few new units - Dismounted Mailed Knights, Sergeant-At-Arms - New shields, new banners, some new textures.

In my first update, I'm going to try to implement my buddy danova's ORNAMENTUM Mod's textures. I just didn't have the time to do it by myself along with everything else.

Hi everybody. Just got this mod yesterday and I'm already having a blast with it. I love the AOR in particular.

I have a quick question on speeches and music. Does this mod use long or short general's speeches? I've only played a few battles and they've always been short speeches. I know how to change that back (I did it with DLV) by editing the descr_sounds_dlb.xml file in the data folder, but PDER doesn't have that file present. I could just add any .txt and .xml files that are missing by copying them over from the vanilla data folder (NOT overwriting the ones already in the PDER folder, obviously), edit the ones I need and then delete the events.idx and events.dat files. My concern is that there might be something I'm not aware of that might screw up the whole installation.

Same concern also goes for adding my own music (I don't need a walkthrough, just a heads-up if there's some special circumstances that I need to be aware of for this mod).
    Son of Sétanta
    Protected by the Legion of Rahl
    Proud corporal in the house of God Emperor Nicholas
    I am a spark, soon to become a flame, and grow into an inferno...

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Scythe View Post
    Hi everybody. Just got this mod yesterday and I'm already having a blast with it. I love the AOR in particular.

I have a quick question on speeches and music. Does this mod use long or short general's speeches? I've only played a few battles and they've always been short speeches. I know how to change that back (I did it with DLV) by editing the descr_sounds_dlb.xml file in the data folder, but PDER doesn't have that file present. I could just add any .txt and .xml files that are missing by copying them over from the vanilla data folder (NOT overwriting the ones already in the PDER folder, obviously), edit the ones I need and then delete the events.idx and events.dat files. My concern is that there might be something I'm not aware of that might screw up the whole installation.

Same concern also goes for adding my own music (I don't need a walkthrough, just a heads-up if there's some special circumstances that I need to be aware of for this mod).
    To be honest, I'm not sure what speeches it uses. To be even more honest, I didn't even know you could choose long or short speeches. Learn something new everyday (like you can inadvertently disable events in the medieval.cfg file).

As far as editing, the descr_sounds_db.xml file, just be careful, I've edited out the Aztecs and I know they're referenced in that file. So might have to remove that reference from there to change it.

Also, unless you're regenerating the entire sound files from the vanilla text files CA provided modders, I wouldn't delete the events.idx or .dat files as the new factions accents are included in there.

But if you have the sound text files in vanilla folder, and are trying to regenerate you'll be fine.

As always, back-up!

Cheers! Thanks for trying out my mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    To be honest, I'm not sure what speeches it uses. To be even more honest, I didn't even know you could choose long or short speeches. Learn something new everyday (like you can inadvertently disable events in the medieval.cfg file).

As far as editing, the descr_sounds_db.xml file, just be careful, I've edited out the Aztecs and I know they're referenced in that file. So might have to remove that reference from there to change it.
    All that's in the .xml file is a list of which factions are included in the "one-liners" category, i.e., that use short speeches. You just delete which ever ones you want to have the longer speeches. I usually just leave the Papacy or the Moors there and delete every other listing. So the Aztecs wouldn't be listed anyways.

Also, unless you're regenerating the entire sound files from the vanilla text files CA provided modders, I wouldn't delete the events.idx or .dat files as the new factions accents are included in there.

But if you have the sound text files in vanilla folder, and are trying to regenerate you'll be fine.
    To be honest, I've never had a problem in the past regenerating the events.idx and .dat files without altering the mod's setup. All I would do is add the missing text files to the mod's data folder, while leaving those that were already there alone.

Aren't the accents assigned in one of those text files? As in, wouldn't PDER, when run, regenerate the .idx and .dat files using it's own customize accent assignments, thus overriding the vanilla assignments? Without the missing text files (that would be copied from the vanilla folder), PDER wouldn't regenerate the files anyways (or they'd be empty files - it's happened to me a few times). My understanding was that if those files weren't provided in a mod, the game would use the vanilla files anyways, by default, unless of course it didn't have to use them because the .idx and .dat files were already generated.

Cheers! Thanks for trying out my mod.
    Thanks for making it.

EDIT: Never mind, I tried it and it didn't work. The game reverted to the no-sound-whatsoever mode. Oh well. At least I gave you something to think about Socal_infidel. Maybe something you can include in a patch, if you're so inclined. Thanks for your help, regardless.
    Last edited by Crimson Scythe; February 17, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Son of Sétanta
    Protected by the Legion of Rahl
    Proud corporal in the house of God Emperor Nicholas
    I am a spark, soon to become a flame, and grow into an inferno...

Thank you for the quick reply, infidel. Nice people make nice mods. Well yes, i'd like to have those medieval bazookas a little earlier, well, without being able to give any historical "evidence" or whatsoever for it. I just like them. Could you give me a small hint how to change it myself? Or is it to complicated for a rather computer dyslexic viking?
    So far, I've tried out georgians, and i really like all those new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Blutaxt II View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply, infidel. Nice people make nice mods. Well yes, i'd like to have those medieval bazookas a little earlier, well, without being able to give any historical "evidence" or whatsoever for it. I just like them. Could you give me a small hint how to change it myself? Or is it to complicated for a rather computer dyslexic viking?
    So far, I've tried out georgians, and i really like all those new units.
    If you open up the export_descr_buildings.txt, look for all conditions that begin with

Code:
    and event_counter
    and delete them. There are a lot, I must warn you. The file is nearly 2MB large, which is pretty big for a text file...

Hi, everybody!
    My first suggestions and impessions.
    What can I say?! It's great!
    I) Map.
    Pskov city! Finally we got it! I was always suprised why that famous town (and constant neighbour of Novgorod the Great) has been forgotten practically in all mods. It's very nice to see this city in your mod
    The cities in Vladimir-Suzdal lands
    So gigantus was right. I really changed my mind about East Europe map.
    And of course I have some suggestions. I think it would be better to add some large russian towns (for example Chernigov, Pereyaslavl, Novgorod Seversky etc). But this issue is discussed by me and Icefrisco in "Which Factions Do You Want For The Mod? " thread. When I got time, I'll continue with it discussion.

II) Factions.
    Of course it was expected that Vladimir-Suzdal Duchy will appear in this mod. It is a pity, that it is not so. But, despite of it, two russian factions make gameplay in East Europe territory more fascinating and attractive. I hope in newer mod versions at least one more russian faction will appear in East Europe.

III) Units.
    Thanx for new russian unit (swordsmen druzhina). Some words about annoying misunderstanding from CA. The matter is that 'Dis. Boyar sons' and 'Dis. druzhina' are absolutely identical units (with the same parametres). If we look at medieval Russia history we can see that Infantry divisions (not going into details) have been presented by spearmen, swordsmen with oval shields, dis. druzhina (but usually druzhina was a mounted division) and divisions, which sometimes were completed by upper class representatives (in M2TW its division presented by 'boyar sons' unit). And this representatives (like feudals in West Europe) could get more expensive regimentals and weapons than 'druzhina' warriors.
    So I guess something must be done with the identity of 'dis. druzhina' and 'boyar sons' units.

What 'bout russian cavarly and other infantry units (Berdichemen and dis. dvor) I was suprised. You remaked new parametres for all units. It's nice. But what's happened with the balance?! I didn't test other factions but what about russian units (mentioned above) it seems to me that russian faction became weaker than in vanilla Kingdoms. If in Kingdoms 'Druzhina' unit could win 'mailed knights' and fight on equal with Feudal Knight, in this mod 'Druzhina' noticeably concedes to 'mailed knights', and furthermore to 'Feudal knights'. Only Tsar Guard parametres became equal as it was.
    So I think the basic advantage of russian faction - superior cavalry - was gone in this mod. Just the same concerns berdichemen and (dis.)dvor.
    Correct me if I'm wrong:hmmm:

Cheers!
    And again thanx for mod
    Last edited by Scolot; February 18, 2008 at 04:33 AM.

Thank you for helping once again.
    So i guess deleting "and event_counter PAVISE_SHIELDS 1" from the mentioned units would not be enough? So I'll have to practice myself in the virtue of patience....