Thread: Tips for defeating Rome (Carthage)

Default Tips for defeating Rome (Carthage)

I am playing as Carthage in my campaign, I have taken all of Iberia, Numidia, even Cyrene, as well as Sicily and Sardinia - trying to fight my way up the boot of Italy.

My problem is that no matter what unit mix I try, the Romans chew up my armies (I win, but Pyhrric victories). So far I have tried as army comp:

Libyan Spearmen, Numidian Archers, with Iberian Cavalry

War Elephants, Greek Hoplites, Sacred Band Cavalry

Numidian Skirmishers, Samnite Warriors, Elephants

Iberian Infantry or Heavy Scutarii, Iberian Heavy Cavalry, Numidian Archers

My best results came with:

Ethiopian Axemen, Italian Infantry, War Elephants, Sacred Band Cavalry

What do you guys recommend? I am willing to conquer anywhere to get troops to defeat Rome. I have Ethiopian Axemen from Cyrene - building queue completely filled

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Tips for defeating Rome (Carthage)

Numidian cavalry are the way to go. Use at least four units.

In the early stages of the battle, use them to run down any skirmishers, ranged units, or artillery. Leave fire at will off for these unit types - you want to conserve your javelins. Try to engage just one unit at a time, and hit them from multiple directions. Avoid contact with heavy infantry at all costs. Skirmish, and use javelins, to take down any enemy cavalry, including the enemy general.

After you have driven off everything but the heavy infantry, engage them with your own infantry. Get your Numidians in behind the enemy line and then hit them in the back with javelins. Concentrate fire on one unit. When that unit is weakened enough, charge in to finish them off.

For infantry, Libyans, Greek Hoplites, Civic Heavies (after the reforms only), Heavy Scutarii, or Sacred Band, will all work fine. A unit or two of Balearic Slingers wouldn't hurt either.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

man, I would love to see a video of one of your battles DBH.

I've always had a tough time with the Romans myself, the damn Hastati and Principes are tough bastards...and the constant rain of pilum really messes you up.
    The AP ability for the slingers really helps out against the Romans, hitting them from the sides and back.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Slingers are one of the best weapons against that obnoxious Roman armor. Balearic slingers, if you have them, work wonders, particularly when the Romans have to attack you uphill.
    Always take the high ground. Early in one campaign, I placed Hanno's army as far up the slope of Mt. Etna (I think; the one in Sicily) as I could in the campaign map, making sure that no army could pass around me (the mountain slope to shoreline was red). When the Romans did attack, I easily wiped out their army of over 3,000 because they had to charge uphill. The morale bonus and extra range and damage of missile units makes mountains a near sure victory.

Noodlegasm's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon10 Re: Tips for defeating Rome (Carthage)

Elephants!!!! Elephants!!!! Elephants!!!!
    the bigger the better

i always have two units all more

The best way to use them is on the sides and to run at the opposite
    side off the enemys flank

And once the enemy formation is smashed to bits move the rest
    of your boys in

if that makes scents:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by fatman View Post
    if that makes scents:hmmm:
    Yes, I can smell it from here.

I make it a practice to always take Rhodes and Cydonia. Especially since Carthage doesn't have an unlimited access to slingers(who i've come to find much more potent than archers if used correctly).You know i think the best thing to do in the case of Rome is make sure you are fully advanced and have Armored Elephants before you attack Rome. Even if it means fighting them AFTER the reforms. Armored Elephants are essential!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

If you can afford it there is another tactic that works quite well:
    Have a 15-19 units heavy stack (with heavy inf/cav) followed by a full stack of numidian cav.
    This will guarantee the romans endless headaches as missile cavalry is the only real roman's weak spot.
    20 of them will guarantee a fresh supply of AP pointy sticks hurled of them all over the battle, not counting the distracting factor, which allows you to isolate those pesky cohorts and get them in position for your heavy cav to charge.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Brandbll: what about bealirc(sp) slingers?

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Brandbll: what about bealirc(sp) slingers?
    Um, that's what Rhodes is for.

And there's the thing, Reloader, any spear soldier will come up short against a sword soldier of same skill, it's hardcoded into the weapon data.

You can recruit Rhodian Slingers in Rhodes or Balearic Slingers in Palma (the island in the Western Med that is one of the starting regions for Carthage). Capturing Crete and Rhodes is still a good idea though - they provide a healthy income and are relatively easy to defend.

"Balearic Slingers in Palma "

Damn, that would have been nice to know before i started my last Carthage campaign.

Slingers, slingers, slingers: they are your friends. Get them a little experience, put 'em on a hill, and they'll make short work of most things running their way.

Yeah or stick them on a wall and watch them decimate an invading army. They are my new found favorite defensive weapon.

Columcille's Avatar Semisalis

Ah yes, During my campaigns the romans caused some trouble. My best combo was about 5 units of numids, libyan infantry, and some cavalry of your choice.

Just make sure you have some slingers/ archer

first take out their artillery, then your free to kill them anyway you like.
    Columcille
    Graphics Worker |Modder | Irish
    Proud player of Roma Surrectum

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    In the early stages of the battle, use them to run down any skirmishers, ranged units, or artillery. Leave fire at will off for these unit types - you want to conserve your javelins.
    How do you order the javelin cavalry to fight hand-to-hand while they still have ammunition? Does it have something to do with switching to the secondary weapon?
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Sterlingworth View Post
    How do you order the javelin cavalry to fight hand-to-hand while they still have ammunition? Does it have something to do with switching to the secondary weapon?
    Yep. Hold down the alt key and order them to attack.

Okay, thanks. Though sometimes since I use a Mac keyboard with windows the ALT key doesn't work properly.
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."
    - Winston Churchill

Icon14 Re: Tips for defeating Rome (Carthage)

i would say if you wernt fihgting manuly keep two or three armys full of men right next to each over when you attack.

but you have to change your tactics you need infanty in a line to draw there men towards you as they move forwards send in you skermish cavalry in catabian circile on the sides then when they are out of ammo send the back behind you line they should be close to you know so bring up you foot skirmishers and slingers but remember slingers cant fire over your mens heads so put the on your flanks.

after you have given a few vollys stop fireing and let any unit of infentry with spear fire. they will then brace for the charge and recive a charge of roman hastii. then send your cavalry around there flank and right behind to take out the general. if the general flees so will some of his army.

if you have elephats send them in to strait in to the attacking romans.

you should win the battle.

ps. remember slingers cant fire over the top of your own units its a common error to use them as archers. dont put the in front of you men or to the side

"time is no power or force, the passage of time mearly weathers the heart and soul of heros" anon