Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faction List

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Re: Faction List

For Aquitania : the Aquitania, was not really under France, the Duc of Aquitania was more an ally than a duc.

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    For Aquitania : the Aquitania, was not really under France, the Duc of Aquitania was more an ally than a duc.
    Were you answering one of my posts?

Anyways I agree. Formally, Aquitaine was under the symbolic rule of the king of the Western Franks (e.g. The Capetians). In reality the duke of Aquitaine was a quite independent ruler, although not utterly, he still had certain obligations to the king of the France. However Aquitaine operated relatively independently until the brief marriage between Louis VII and Elanor, and of course after the annulment of their marriage she married Henry II, and Aquitaine became a part of his Angevin empire. This is why I believe I posted no major objection to the inclusion of Aquitaine, it was not as independent as Occitania, nor as powerful as Normandy, but really powerful and relatively independent.
    GEIR HASUND!

By the way, though my avatar might indicate so, I am not a citizen of Germany, though my ancestry have a branch in this great nation.

General_Vladimir's Avatar Miles

Hansa you're a very intellectual person I like seeing an intellectual person posting

Good work. Welding it into my research....
    Emperor of the Total War clan, the Warriors Of Troy!!!Warriors of Troy are Recruiting!! We are a Total War Clan
    Forums: http://warriorsoftroy.myfreeforum.org/index.php

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

It is good to have a variety of choices.........
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

I know this mod focuses on europe, thats cool, but really guys...you should have emerging Ottoman Empire around 1300, by the end of this mod, they already conquered half the balkans...not having them, is really really odd. They were like nuclear impact on europe, this cant be even called europe mod without them.
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

General_Vladimir's Avatar Miles

Hey all

Indeed Gazi we put that in consideration. As one of the head historians I said that as well. We agreed that we would get rid of a faction and put in the Ottomans for the 2nd version of the game. That is what sinople and the team decided to do

So in the second version we will have the Ottomans. We'll release the first once the map and all that is complete then the ottomans will be made for the 2nd.
    Emperor of the Total War clan, the Warriors Of Troy!!!Warriors of Troy are Recruiting!! We are a Total War Clan
    Forums: http://warriorsoftroy.myfreeforum.org/index.php

finally croatia!

S.P.Q.R. Praetorian's Avatar Vicarius

If I understand corecttly this is mainly east and west Europe? Finally.

Yes exactly

well guys let me congratulate you for making an Europe centered mod, its nice to play mods with much diversity, but at least I sometimes think that the "medieval" feel gets kinda lost, with big empires fighting big empires, you know sometimes I want to see more kingdoms around, like in the case of France having Aquitania around, actually Im looking forward to play as Aquitania ^^

Can I ask though, why Leinster? It certainly wasn't the strongest Irish faction at the time. That award would have gone to the munstermen under Muircheartach Ua Briain.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

You guys should consider the mongols for a second version of the mod for the same reason that you are considering the ottomans for a second version; because the mongol presence in europe was huge, they destroyed the kievan rusic state and ran over hungary, exiling the king and destroyting 60% of the nations infrastructure, and plagued the Russians and Crimeans for centurys with heavy taxation and vassalage, pretty much laying the ground work for the etymology of modern day crimea. Excavated Mongol bows have turned up as far as Sweden, suggesting that a military presence was felt by them to some extent as far as there, and the trade of various materials including the famous silk road goods were opened up into Europe partially through them, and they were the reason for a teutonic state to have been set up in Transylvania in the mid 13th century to stop loose Mongol splinter raiding groups from terrorising the region. They caused the mass migrations of other nomadic peoples like the Cumans and Kyphaqs who thusly settled heavily in the regions which make up modern day romania (Moldova of today Romania was called Cumania in the 13th century by most western cartographers and merchants, and the popes).
    Thus I believe that this mod which looks more and more excellent with every week, should include this faction that was extremely influential on Europe for the 2nd release.
    BTW GREAT WORK ALL!!
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

The problem of the mongols is that they stayed in Europe not a long time (they don't create their own empire). Perhaps an script or an event would be better, because if we decide to do all invasions in Europe the faction list won't be "European". For instance, we can make a "rebel" invasions, wich will do the same as Mongols did, but because it's rebel, they can't create their own empire. I think it can be historically and fun to play ?

Can I ask though, why Leinster? It certainly wasn't the strongest Irish faction at the time. That award would have gone to the munstermen under Muircheartach Ua Briain.
    I think the Leinster is more representative of Ireland, but we can choose to keep Ireland (and not Leinster)

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    The problem of the mongols is that they stayed in Europe not a long time (they don't create their own empire). Perhaps an script or an event would be better, because if we decide to do all invasions in Europe the faction list won't be "European". For instance, we can make a "rebel" invasions, wich will do the same as Mongols did, but because it's rebel, they can't create their own empire. I think it can be historically and fun to play ?
    Thats actually quite a good Idea. The Dominion of the Sword team, who are making one of the most advanced mods for Medieval II Total War are doing the same thing, and their faction list isn't European oriented. I would also recommend having various Mongol, Cuman and Kypchaq mercs available for recruitment along the lands the Mongols conquered historically, because one of the most long lasting effects of the Mongol raids were the various people that fled/joined them and then became independant mercs or brigands. The mongols also influenced mass migrations that changed the etymology of many regions irreversibally, most notably in Crimea, but also strongly along the baltic and in the southern plains of ungary, Transylvania, Moldovia and Wallachia, and to a lesser extent Bulgaria.
    This could be represented with stacks of nomadic brigands and mercs appearing in the aforementioned areas around the time of the Mongol attacks.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Annex's Avatar Laetus

Ellow

This looks like a verry nice mod => europe only

I got a little suggestion tough. I think it would be more realistic replacing 'The Brabant' with Flanders (Vlaanderen) and maybe even making it an unhappy vassal from France. Historically this was the case, and Brabant was/is a province of Flanders.

Just my 2c for a much anticipated mod

cheers, and keep up the good work!
    Time flies like an arrow...
    Fruit flies like a banana...

The Brabant was (in 1070-1080) a vassal of the HRE, if I remember well.
    But I don't think that Flanders was more important than Brabant.

But I'm not Belgian, I'll ask to a Belgian Historian friend and I'll reply to you

Screens of Brabant will arrived soon (in about 1 or two weeks because I'm overbooked by work)

Annex's Avatar Laetus

Alrighty, thx for the reply

Cheers
    Time flies like an arrow...
    Fruit flies like a banana...

To be honest, put a bunch of new factions in England, Northern Europe, and Western Europe, and I will be one happy man.

I had already done that
    Last edited by sinople; May 11, 2008 at 05:44 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast