Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

1. EDB = data\export_descr_buildings.txt
    2. world\maps\base\map_features = part of the files that make up the campaign_map. Errors here cause crashes without error details.
    3. world\maps\base\map.rwm = the file that gets generated to form the actual campaign map. Has to be deleted to be regenerated after changes in the other map files like in point 2.

Yeah its screwed

Nothing suggested works, re-install time and try again

thanks for the help anyway

Researcher for Patria Liberia

IF you rep me i might cry

Blog Entries

Do things in small steps. Easy to find the error.
    Back up everytime BEFORE you make changes. That gives you a working copy.

will do in future

Icon8 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Hello there,

my game keeps crashing during the AI turn whenever I end turn 67, it doesn't matter how far back I go with my savegames and do things differently. The log notes: "[error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."
    I have the Kingdoms expansion installed as well as the latest patches, the only mod I'm using is UAI 1.6.

I'm playing the Vanilla Campaign as the Byzantine Empire, one of my favourite games so far, I'd very much like to continue but I CAN'T

After studying the forums I'm guessing it's some kind of pathfinding or trait related error with one of the AI factions, but how do I find out and is there anything I can do about it?

Any kind of advice would be immensely appreciated.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

map_features.tga

paint it with pure black (RGB = 0, 0, 0)
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Can anyone help while playing the vanilla or americas,crusades,and teutonic my game will just freeze like a screenshot and I can't do anything and there is no sound and the only way out is to reboot the computer.

Blog Entries

Sounds (pardon the pun) like an over heating issue.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by S73A17H View Post
    Can anyone help while playing the vanilla or americas,crusades,and teutonic my game will just freeze like a screenshot and I can't do anything and there is no sound and the only way out is to reboot the computer.
    Gigantus is right, heat. When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your case and made sure the fans still work?

Help with fixing..

11:16:55.000 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 217, column 1
    Michiel is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.000 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 218, column 1
    Henry is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 561, column 1
    Antonio Selvo is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 562, column 1
    Barbus Selvo is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 563, column 1
    Benasuto Selvo is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 564, column 1
    Gerardo Selvo is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.031 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 820, column 1
    Puccio Rossi is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.031 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 821, column 1
    Catelano Rossi is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.031 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 822, column 1
    Agostino Rossi is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.031 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 1001, column 1
    Andronicus Comnenus is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.031 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 1003, column 1
    Isaac Comnenus is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.062 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 1150, column 1
    Ayyub is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.062 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 1151, column 1
    Faraj is a live male of age > 1 and so must be created as a named character and not just a character record.
    11:16:55.078 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/custom_campaign_2/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/S_Europe/descr_strat.txt, at line 1460, column 1
    Cannot create a general/admiral character without an army/navy.

Blog Entries

All errors except the last one are family tree related. Did you enter those characters under 'relative'?

Your character in the last error needs an army (example):
    character Robin, general, male, age 20, x 99, y 131
    army
    unit Peasants

And all of this has got nothing to do in this forum. Please someone move this to the
    'Text Editing and Scripting Forum'

Blog Entries

This is the tutorial forum. Don't think it is the right one.

And I meant only the last post!

Bernem's Avatar Senator

This tutorial ROCKS! I ran through nearly every one of the described crashes!

Thank you!

ok, yet it should be recorded.

Check your system file
    You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well.Jeannette Desor

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
    Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.

I created a mod, (sadly it doesn't work yet) but the result a get from a CTD is quite different. A message states something about 'Medieval 2 Total War... Unspecified error...'
    What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Blog Entries

That is the generic error message - you will have to have a look into the log (in the main folder) to see if it specifies a reason.

Civis

Icon5 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Hello:

I have come to the Text crashes thread this time as I have a new problem, this time concerning something that suddenly popped up.

Recently, I tried to add a religion to the mod. I followed a tutorial on this forum as much as I could understand to the letter. Geomod worked fine, but when I then tried to run the mod 2 error messages then displayed with the game CTD on the second.

First error message: "Medieval 2: Total War failed to initialise audio system.
    Audio card is not supported or audio drivers are out of date or not installed.
    Game will continue with audio disabled."

Second error message: "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit." It then CTD.

I looked at the log file (which I attached) and the big thing I see is something wrong with the EDU file. I did not change anything in this file. I tried to disable the entry in the EDU by putting a ; in front of the lines but the same thing happened with the log giving a different entry for the error.

I then deleted the mod file and replaced it with a back-up from before I tried to add the new religion and surprisingly the problem continued!!!

Does this have anything to do with messing with the religions text file?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

It's the first time I have come across the audio error, and I have been around for while. I do however doubt that was the fatal error. My bet is on this one:

20:35:19.916 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 172, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Peasants'.

Basically it says that it cannot find the 'Peasants' battle model in the modelDB file of your mod. Potentially weird as that is a vanilla battle model and should be included in any modeldb file.

This might have something to do with it:

20:35:19.902 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/export_descr_unit.txt (from: C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)

Another first for me: the game sources the files directly from the Virtual Store. There is a tutorial around called 'Fixing Virtual Store problems' (or something to that effect) - I usually have it in my collection of short cuts but I am traveling right now.
    Follow the instructions from step 3 onward and then delete the SEGA folder in the virtual store folder.

Just to make sure: is your game installed in the regular folder (C:\Program Files\SEGA) as well?

Civis

Icon1 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Just to make sure: is your game installed in the regular folder (C:\Program Files\SEGA) as well?
    Yes, sure is.

I found the "Virtual Store fixes" page and did what it said.

The sound error no longer appears and neither does the thing about the EDU.

It still CTDs, now with that "dont know why but exiting now" message.

The only error that appears in the log is:
    18:33:04.372 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/descr_event_images.txt, at line 625, column 1
    Unknown event string agent_movie
    18:33:04.372 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/Bare_Geomod/data/descr_event_images.txt.

18:33:04.422 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Xagamon; May 05, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries

The descr_event_images file is not an essential file and is hardly modified - simply rename it - although I wonder about the error in general, that is a default entry. The file is included in the Bare Geomod installation because of the Yes\No event (not present in the default 'vanilla' file) and should not cause an error.

The 'string' that cannot be found is in these three files mentioned (lookup is not used actively anymore) just before the crash. Both have been loaded properly from the pack file, no idea what the problem might be.

18:33:04.003 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin (from: C:\Program Files\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    18:33:04.034 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/message_text_lookup.txt (from: C:\Program Files\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    18:33:04.035 [system.io] [trace] file open,,09F7A8F8,396558
    18:33:04.035 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin (from: C:\Program Files\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)

If you haven't done much work or can easily reproduce the work, then I would suggest to reinstall Bare Geomod again. Have you deleted the Medieval II Total War folder in the Virtual Store? If so, simply delete the Bare Geomod folder and then re-install.