Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Huge thanks for the compilation of crashes and possible fixes! Playing the Elder Scrolls mod the game started crashing everytime it was the Valenwood AI turn, so I deleted the trigger list for traits in the 'ancillaries.txt' and 'character_traits.txt' and the ctd was resolved. What's the next step from there though? I'm guessing that none of my generals are going to get any traits without the triggers...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That's a bit radical

To find out which trigger\trait causes it you need to set your log to trace (see CFG file entry - change from 'error' to 'trace') and then disable the trigger(s) that are last in the log.

Deep into this campaign, I ain't giving it up for one error.
    Are you referring to changing following line in The_Elder_Scrolls.cfg from...

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error
    to
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    ?

After doing that there was no file in the log folder.Deep into this campaign, I ain't giving it up for one error.
    Are you referring to changing following line in The_Elder_Scrolls.cfg from...

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error
    to
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    ?

After doing that there was no file in the log folder, if that's even where I'm meant to be looking. Apologies, I'm a bit new to all this.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately sometimes the trace setting does not produce a log - but your entry is correct.

I think I may have found the log in question after a bit of fiddling. I've uploaded it here: https://uploadfiles.io/5ver6
    The last entry is a missing unit image for the galleass, but I've confirmed that the CTD is fixed by removing all the ancillary and character triggers. What should I be looking for here and where? Thanks to anyone who can help in advance.

In the case of trigger issues, hence, you need to verify all entries in export_descr_ancillaries, export_descr_character_traits (part of the data folder), export_ancillaries and export_vnvs (part of data/text folder)...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post
    In the case of trigger issues, hence, you need to verify all entries in export_descr_ancillaries, export_descr_character_traits (part of the data folder), export_ancillaries and export_vnvs (part of data/text folder)...
    That would be self inflicted pain. Reinstate the previous files and then check in the crash log which trigger is listed last. Comment out (put semi colon in front of lines) that trigger, save the file and start the mod again. Rinse and repeat until no further crashes happen.
    Make a note at the top of the file which triggers have been commented out for future reference, eg:

; triggers invalidated
    ; priestinit12
    ; hate_n_fear_17

This comes handy if you come across several triggers for the same trait, which usually means a problem with the trait and not the trigger.

Thank you for your replies Gigantus and Rafmc, but to be perfectly honest I was very lost after reading them. The good news is that I fixed the issue! After 10 turns of testing everything seems to be back to normal.

The first problem was that the log file I had wasn't the right one and came from the main data folder, not the log folder. So I just added:
    [log] to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    Into the medieval2.preference.cfg file as well as the The_Elder_Scrolls.cfg file and that produced a proper error log in the correct folder. From there it was as easy as following Gigantus' instructions of finding the last occurring trigger (Agents43b in this case) and deleting it from the export_desc_character_trait.txt file. Bam! No more crashes. Huge thanks for all the help.

Blog Entries

The entry in the medieval2.preference file will reset to the default entries unless you have made it read-only. Which is no great loss as it only affects the log of the vanilla game.
    I am surprised the Elder Scroll mod did not have an log entry - that's standard for every mod as without setting the log to trace you will not be able to find non obvious errors like this one.

Last not least: One is glad to be of service

Not sure if these have been covered anywhere, but here are a few additional causes of CTD:

-If more than 32 recruit_pool + agent entries come into effect for one building in a given turn, the game will CTD with no clues or traces in the logs as to what occured.
    Sometimes the crash occurs when a building is constructed at the end of turn, or when the culture increases at the end of turn, or when a relevant building is in a queue and you hit the settlement details button, or if you right click on the building before constructing it, or while it is in the building queue. Changes in values for event counters can also tip you over the 32 limit if you're not careful.
    A building can indirectly allow more than 32 recruit_pool entries without causing a crash. By this I mean it is a prerequisite for more than 32 recruit_pool entries spread over 2 or more other buildings. E.g. stable can have 20 entries that require "Blacksmith" building, and Archery range can have 20 entries that require "Blacksmith" building and no crash will occur.

-Another hardcoded limit seems to be for 64 active recruit_pool entries of 64 different units for a single given settlement at a single given moment in time. There can be more than 64 recruit pool entries for a settlement, but not all active at once: e.g. if an event counter turns off the 64th and turns on the 65th, thus there are still only 64 active at once. There can be more than 64 different unit recruit pool entries for a single faction in the game active at one time, but not in one settlement. And there can be more than 64 active recruit pool entries in one settlement at one time, IF there are still only 64 different units named by the entries (that is, one unit type has multiple recruit_pool entries from one or more buildings). Naval unit recruit_pools do count. Mercenary recruit_pools are not relevant. Agent recruitment lines do NOT count towards the total in this case, unlike the case mentioned above. Unit support recruit_pools of "0 0.00 0 0" do count towards the total and will cause a crash if they bring you over the 64 limit.

-Having more than 10 "Affects" lines per trigger in the EDCT will cause CTDs without any indication of the problem in the log. 12 or more cause an immediate crash. 11 can cause a crash between turns if the trigger is tested when a general is created (presumably any of the four methods but comingofage was not tested). Presumably 11 will cause crashes on other events but this has not been tested.

-GeneralPrisonersRansomedCaptor causes a CTD when it fires if used for an ancillary.

I sorry if it's not the proper forum but i'm getting a bit desesperate in trying to launch the Rus2 mod it crashes during the loading for the campaign.
    Here is the system.log
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    =
    20:14:16.097 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:14:16.097 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    20:14:16.101 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:14:16.101 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:14:16.102 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:14:16.102 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:14:16.103 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:14:16.103 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:14:19.914 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/russ2/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10484, column 28
    Could'n find effect description string for trait(PoorLogistics) level(Poor_Logistician_effects_desc).
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14527, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name cannon_towers not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14545, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name c_cannon_towers not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15040, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name ballista_range not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15049, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name catapult_range not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15058, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name siege_works not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15067, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name c_ballista_range not found in building database
    20:14:20.080 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15076, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name c_catapult_range not found in building database
    20:14:20.081 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15085, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name c_siege_works not found in building database
    20:14:20.081 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15697, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name merchant_bank not found in building database
    20:14:37.821 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

If anybody would be kind enougth to explain me how to fix these errors thanks in advance !
    Last edited by JC_CESAR; August 20, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

Blog Entries

The log is not helpful - the crash message comes 17 seconds after the last error. Have you tried posting in the mod's forum?

Nevermind i fixed it, the installer apparently put certain file in the wrong place.
    Last edited by JC_CESAR; August 21, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

Hi

I am new here and I need some help.
    I have crashes on campaign map as soon as I scroll up or down. NVIDIA driver stopped responding.
    I attach the log file, plz have a look.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, your log isn't of much help, like in most cases of unspecified error.
    What did you do before the crash started? Did you mod something? If yes, on what? A mod of yours? Something else?

Blog Entries

Scroll crash is usually associated with invalid strat models. Need more details as selv says.

I have no mods at all. Just downloaded from Steam. Tried verifying the files and also tried Uninstall and re-install. No good. How to verify strat models? Or how to provide more details? I added the [log] entry in cfg file to get the log

Blog Entries

Then maybe win10 did a fast one on you - try if this helps.

And if that doesn't help tell me about your desktop resolution and if you use a oversized monitor\TV
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 03, 2018 at 03:40 AM.

I have windows 7 and I use the laptop screen. Tried resolutions from 1024x768 to 1920x1280, it does the same always.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

It could also be the Large Region Crash. How many regions appear on your map, and do you have a lot of rivers?