Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

ohh sorry i actually added the vale of anduin obviously should have mentioned that earlier, thanks for checking and dont worry about it ill just start again
    thanks for trying however

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Matze_95's Avatar Laetus

Hello guys,
    I've scripted something today and when i test it I've got a CTD after I press the button to end this round. Then I looked into my system_log which was in the trace level and I saw this line at the end of the log:

Script error: internal error : counters stack is empty
    I don't know what it mean and I never heard it before. And I ask you here what that could mean? Unfortunately I've deleted this script and the export_descr_ancillaries.txt who produced this crash.

Hi to the modding community. I am looking for help.

Mod ctds upon startup. Error log says:
    Code:
    17:15:06.859 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    17:15:06.860 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    17:15:06.864 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    17:15:06.865 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    17:15:06.867 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    17:15:06.869 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    17:15:06.870 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    17:15:06.870 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    17:15:10.630 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 207, column 1
    Missing attributes field for unit type 'Gondor Levies'.
    17:15:11.355 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I checked the EDU file (see attachment), its fine. The funny thing, i simply copied the entire cluster related to this unit from previous version of my submod, which worked fine. Meaning, i did no change to this cluster of text and it worked perfectly last time. Now, it says the attribute field is missing. It is located at line 208 now. I tried to move it to line 207, then the error says the file lacks the attribute field at line 208. I dont get it...
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; June 07, 2012 at 07:27 AM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Matze_95 View Post
    Script error: internal error : counters stack is empty
    If export_descr_character_traits.txt (or export_descr_ancillaries.txt?) uses I_CompareCounter then this error occurs. Apparently only event counters may be used here, not regular counters.

(A belated reply but I just learned of this rule myself. Searching for the error led me here.)

i must be missing something because i have no log for third age tw mod. the line is already there in the cfg file but no log. what do i need to see or do to find the the log.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Have you unhid all files, folders, and drives in Folder Option and in the top right corner of Computer search for log?
    Steve Ballmer's kids involved, it could be anyplace.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Most logs can be found in the "medieval 2 total war\logs" folder - unfortunately sometimes the log (and the folder) does not get created, simply run the mod again until the error and check again.

Civis

Icon5 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Hello all,

If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know.

After adding the map files and map coding to a fresh Bare Geomod, I try to run the game to see the end result and I keep getting a CTD during loading. At first, I found that I left out a lot of things in the coding. I tried to fix all that, and so far it looks like progress but I still get CTD. The difference now is that I get an error message.

error log
    12:10:38.473 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    12:10:38.474 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    12:10:38.479 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    12:10:38.500 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    12:10:38.551 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    12:10:38.554 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    12:10:38.570 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    12:10:38.571 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    12:10:46.742 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    12:10:46.777 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    12:10:46.799 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    12:10:46.909 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    12:10:46.909 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    12:10:46.930 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    12:10:46.931 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    12:10:46.931 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    12:10:57.219 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

That's it. This is from the "*script* trace" run.

There are all these warnings, is that what is making the game crash? Or perhaps it is because my map is vertical? I never really see anyone try to make a vertical map.

Blog Entries

You need to set the log to trace in your CFG file, that way we may get a hint what is happening. Please do that and attach the compressed log, state what all you did since the mod ran successfully the last time.

Civis

Icon1 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Okay,

The last post I did had the script trace error log. I ran the game again with the AI trace and it came out the same. I will attach.

The last time the game ran is when I ran Bare Geomod as itself with no alterations. What I did since then:

-I replaced the map tga files with the desired one for the mod. Heights, regions, features, everything.
    -I replaced the descr_regions file with one that has the regions for the new regions.tga file. I used 3 vanilla factions as province creators and erased all resources. One rebel faction was entered for all regions.
    -The new imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names binary file was added to the text file.
    -I edited the descr_strat file to have only 2 playable factions, one playable faction, one province for each faction with the rest of them rebel provinces. Resources were deleted. Diplomatic relations were entered.
    -On Geomod, all characters were deleted and all factions have no family tree setting now. All settlements are villages with no buildings. There are no armies. The remaining factions not owning a province are on absent.
    -Music types are the same from vanilla, but now the file has the new regions.
    -The events are all the same, except the black death was deleted.

That is all.
    Factions, religions, music, unit types, portraits, buildings, building and unit descriptions, other tgs files are all the same.

Blog Entries

That is not a trace log.

• Open the CFG file of your mod.
    • Remove all lines in the [log] section
    • Replace them with these lines:

to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * trace

Civis

My mistake, sorry.

Here you go.

Blog Entries

Your log ends with the last building tree being checked in the EDB - successfully. There is no indication of an error other then the final line.
    In the regulat Bare Geomod you would now get the check for descr_wall.txt - which is a standard file present in Bare Geomod.

Let me recap:
    you edited\replaced map files (graphics and txt)
    you get a CTD when loading - does this mean you only get to see the splash screen before the start or does it crash immediately? Or perhaps after selecting a faction?

Civis

Icon1 Re: Crashes and how to fix them

What used to happen is that I could get a CTD almost immediately after seeing the splash screen with no message. Now, it still crashes during the splash screen after about 10 seconds and now with that vague error message. The actual game doesn't even load at all.

Here are the text files I have changed:

descr_regions - to have the provinces and settlements of the new map. Colors now match, and there is only one rebel faction for all regions. All resources are set to "none".
    descr_terrain - only the dimensions.
    descr_sounds_music_types - putting in the new regions into the vanilla categories.
    descr_mercenaries - deleted all pools.
    descr_strat - set england and france as playable factions, papal_states and slave as unplayable and the rest left out. All resources deleted. Each faction has one settlement and slave has the rest. All settlements are villages with no buildings. Diplomatic relations were entered for the three factions and slave. No characters.
    descr_sm_factions - england and france no longer have family trees. The absent factions are still in.
    descr_events - deleted the Black Death locations.

That is all I remember. If you want me to upload anything else so you can have a look, you only need to ask.

Just pulling a theory out of my rear-end, could having a vertical map be the problem? I expect to be wrong on that.

Blog Entries

The crash at the start would exclude an error in the graphic map files.

If your mod folder isn't too big, then compress it, upload somewhere and post the link here.

Have you tried loading with the Geomod Tool?

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Think i have similar problem like Xagamon. I tried to make new building, but it didn't works, so i replaced modified export_descr_buildings and export_buildings with backup copies. I also deleted the images that i added for this building but now i have some terrible logs, many buildings from ui folder are missing, but i'm modding teutonic, so why the heck missing greek buildings are problem??? They wasn't till now. See the log.

One more thing, crash comes right after splah screen shows up i also remove export_buildings_textstrings.
    Last edited by Hellvard; February 19, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries

If you look closer then you will see that the 'missing' line (looking in your mod) is followed by a 'found' line (looking in the packs)
    But there is no error in that log.

Yeah, you're right. So whats wrong?
    Last edited by Hellvard; February 20, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Are you modding the teutonic campaign for fun\learning? Because modding the original campaigns has a few additional pitfalls compared to normal modding. If you are looking to try out a few things then I would recommend the following:

Bare Geomod as a basic mod folder
    Unpacking of the game into a separate folder so you have all the original files at your disposal without worries to mess up the original game
    Eliminating possible problems caused by the Virtual Store.

In fact, i'm not modding clear teutonic campaign, but mod from polish total war forum, which adds Sweden as new faction and some new units for Poland. So there is no way to fix this problem? Excepts reinstall?