Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

Ok i did that ishan, i didnt find anything missing and ive now hit a complete wall and have no idea what to do next, anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT i discovered another problem, the area of controll catches the factions own units, so going to enter a settlement you get caught outside by your own red circles, does anyone know which file controlls that?
    Last edited by David93; August 18, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

bumb, to see if anyone has thought of anything?

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You probably got garrisons from two factions in that settlement. Determine the co-ordinates of the settlement (point mouse, pull down console, type show_cursorstat) and check for those co-ordinates in descr_strat.

See TWC Wiki:

• show_cursorstat

Not really a cheat but useful for modding, and moving around characters faster, if you use the move_character cheat. Gives co-ordinates (in x,y, form) and region name of the location under your cursor.

Thanks gigantus

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    Hi
    I just added a new faction to third age, the faction works fine in the campaign, including battle etc, but when i click on the custom battle menu the game crashes.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Hello
    Im still having this problem, even after reverting to a backup and adding the faction again, to add the faction i copied and pasted the required files from the already made faction from a different submod.
    The faction had its own custom campaign (the only entry i believe i changed was the campaign descriptions to match the "imperial campaign" when i pasted over.
    So does anybody have any ideas of something i could do?

Oh also, the submod i based this off has a crash when moving from the campaign to the custom battle screen, is there anyway to fix this? and could this be related in some way?

Thanks

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Blog Entries

Have a look into this tutorial of mine, getting a faction transferred isn't exactly a copy\paste job: Creating a World - Adding a new Faction

I did indeed use your tutorial and know it well, by copy and paste i mean what happens in your tutorial, copying the relevant entries and changing were nessarary, i was wondering if there could be an entry i missed somewhere related to the faction having been useing a custom campaign? (it wasnt working of the main campaign)
    thanks

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Blog Entries

A custom campaign draws it's info with regards to factions (and pretty much everything else except map settings) from the main folder. The custom campaign merely compiles this info (descr_strat).
    Adding (or even cloning) a faction is about the most complex undertaking in modding M2TW due to the fact that you have to mod all necessary files before you can test. That obviously pushes up the margin for error.

Thanks, so you dont think its anything to do with the custom campaign then?
    Yes, indeed it does, ive added a couple now succesfully, but i much prefer writing a script were you can write and test each bit have you any ideas on how i could find the error? ive been through the files one by one looking for errors but have seen nothing and the error log is on the previous page, but it doesnt say anything that helps me pinpoint where the problem could be and ive pretty much hit a wall on what to do?

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Blog Entries

I am afraid sometimes it is better to start from scratch again.
    Best is to keep all the necessary files from the source handy.
    Then go through the tutorial step by step and add the required entries from the source files.

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    Oh also, the submod i based this off has a crash when moving from the campaign to the custom battle screen, is there anyway to fix this? and could this be related in some way?

Thanks
    This is probably unrelated, many mods with a lot of factions do this when changing from custom to campagin or vice versa, it's to do with the 2 types of pic's that are displayed and can be fixed I believe by swapping them around, but you'll need to search for it yourself if you want to find out exactly...

If you make the new faction unavailable from custom battle selection, does it still CTD when you enter the custom battle screen?
    Last edited by Eothese; September 02, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eothese View Post
    #David93

If you make the new faction unavailable from custom battle selection, does it still CTD when you enter the custom battle screen?
    Indeed it does

Also thanks gigantus, i may indeed end up doing that id rather not as it would be the thrid time ive done so, but if i have to next time im going to make the faction myself and just ise the units from the origional.

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Sound like you may be missing a culture entry in one of the text files, I might be wrong but I've had a similar issue...

Sound like you may be missing a culture entry in one of the text files, I might be wrong but I've had a similar issue...
    culture entry?
    any idea which text files it could be?
    or could it be any of them?
    the ones deleted are the ones i believe couldnt have caused it
    the files the orional submod changes (which adds the faction) are
    campaign descriptions
    credits not nessasary
    expanded
    export ancillaries
    export units
    export vnvs
    menu english ive herd its not relevent
    names
    quotes not nessasary
    voa campaigns and regions i didnt add any new regions and deleted anything to do with them
    Last edited by David93; September 02, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Had to check, mine was expanded. There should be a culture entry for each one eg,
    {NATIVEINDIAN}Nativeindian

Had to check, mine was expanded. There should be a culture entry for each one eg,
    {NATIVEINDIAN}Nativeindian
    unfortunatly i dont think its that
    i used gigantus' template to create the expanded entries and after checking against another faction there now all the entries apear to be there, i can upload you the file to check?

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

It would be no trouble to check, best to include the descr_sm_factions as well. Hell you might as well zip up all the text files you've added to, it's got to be in there somewhere.

Thanks very much
    i uploaded everything i edited in the text folder as well as desrc sm factions
    if theres anything else you want ill be happy to upload
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z2DMLPPC

Thanks again

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Assuming the faction in question is Norway and all your faction symbol's, logo's and standards are in place I can't find any errors in what you've uploaded.