Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

I am stumped, the error clearly indicates that the battle model for dismounted_archers is missing in the modeldb.
    Can you please move the dismounted_archer entry in the EDU all the way to the bottom of the file? that way we can check if there are more models missing.
    After that please upload a fresh batch of the log, EDU and modeldb.

Log is bit different.

Blog Entries

Now it appears the dismounted_archers aren't even read in the EDU and the crash happens right at the modeldb. I am afraid I will have to give this a pass.

My suggestion (painful) - start all over again with a working EDU and modeldb. Proceed adding one entry at a time and test. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

OK here's another muggins muck-up:

CTD after editing some regions, map.rwm generated

everything seemed OK.
    GeoMod said fine, no errors in system.log but crashing on pressing a few faction symbols on the faction choice screen.
    No errors once game started - could play them all in hotseat.

What had muggins done?
    Muggins had forgotten to update the imperial_campaign\descr_win_conditions.txt file with the changed names of the edited regions.

(actually I had several days earlier but then scrapped that version and forgot to re-do it again.)

Blog Entries

Geomod doesn't automatically remove regions from the win_conditions if you delete them. You will have to verify each factions win_conditions.
    Spoke to Octavius about that and he said he would fix that.

I'm having trouble creating a system.log.txt for finding errors for my Mod, the file doesn't seem to be created and I'm having trouble figuring out what's wrong.
    I'm running a Windows 7 system and an M2TW v. 1.2.

Scratch that, it turns out that the files are being unpacked and logs are made in a hidden file under the AppData folder in my Users file. Now how do I remedy that situation?
    Last edited by LiuXUande007; November 28, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the help, it allowed me to hammer out the problems I had with reactivating my mod on my laptop. Now I can worry about how to keep the heat coming out of my laptop from burning my food...

You can always buy a cooling mat for it, for gaming laptops it's must recommended.

Faction Crash

I couldn't understand it.

A) Check that the entry for 'ai_label' in the data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/desc_strat.txt appears in the 'data/descr_campaign_ai_db.xml'

What do we check for? I changed some unit attributes(I added some units free upkeep, frighten and druid and changed their attack and defense) and game ctd. I looked at system log but i can not find missing unit.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by newly-created View Post
    Faction Crash

What do we check for? I changed some unit attributes(I added some units free upkeep, frighten and druid and changed their attack and defense) and game ctd. I looked at system log but i can not find missing unit.
    Just checking - you did start a new campaign?
    changes to the EDU will stop the game if you try to continue a saved game.

Blog Entries

A) Check that the entry for 'ai_label' in the data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/desc_strat.txt appears in the 'data/descr_campaign_ai_db.xml'

You are checking for this entry in descr_strat, check the spelling:

faction hungary, balanced smith
    ai_label catholic
    denari 11000
    denari_kings_purse 2500
    But it wouldn't be applicable if you have only worked on the EDU.
    Their are some attributes that don't work in m2tw, like berserk. Copy the unit's entry that you have changed here. If it is several units, we need the log (zipped and attached)

Wrong ai_labels don't give a crash if a wrong name exists then it will switch back and use the default ai_label.

Like Gigantus said it will some attribute that is not acceptable by the game engine.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

EDB crash... I'm doing a massive renovation but I can't seem to figure out what this one is about...

it says

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

00:05:59.276 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12035, column 129
    Unexpected

but my EDB around 12035 is...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

recruit_pool "Arabian Rijal" 1 0.033 1 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource egypt or hidden_resource moors

recruit_pool "Turkomans" 1 0.033 1 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource turks

12035 is the blank line between these two...

These things seem to keep reoccuring... I moved around all the entries around that line multiple times but it keep reoccuring and often at different (but similarly close) areas.

One issue I keep getting.. the spacing in notepad and notepad+++ looks very different, for example if I space all my lines nice and neat in notepad and open it in +++ it becomes all messy, and vice versa as well, a few times this was the issue (since the game seem to mostly read base off notepad... so if it's messy enough it might read two lines into one etc...)
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Blog Entries

With Notepad++ go into "Edit\EOL Conversion" and check if 'Windows format' is grayed out, else click and save.

it is grayed out.... I give up for tonight... ugggh.. seems like the problem begun after I tried to (unsuccessfully) install some plugins supposedly designed to look at edbs
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Blog Entries

Have you tried this one? EDB validator - works very well with me.

ack, i couldn't get that validator to work before but now it's working... and yeah I think it should catch my problem(s) (there a ton of them)

Hey guys, I keep getting a CTD after I go into battle. The log isn't very usefull and says '20:11:28.312 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.' I have only edited the EDB cause I added the option of a recruiting general in Crusades. The validator hasn't helped me out either, saying the "descr_sm_factions.txt" can't be found. Any thoughts?

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

post the log
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod