Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion & Comments

Default Re: Restitutor Orbis overview/preview

wow those are some really good looking units i is excited to play this one

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

great idea guys. Aurelianus was a great man!

New version of all 77BC and 58BC can be found HERE

I'm really looking forward to this mod. Just a couple of questions:

Are the cities going to have the required buildings and infrastructure for their size? My biggest gripe against BI was having cities with huge pops and no buildings( aquaducts etc..) leaving cities in revolt. My view is that cities should start out with the basic buildings needed for their population size. Rome itself should already be maxed out aside from special buildings built after Aurelian's coming to the throne--the great temple of Sol Invictus being an example.

I hope you're thinking of using a map similar to the one Rio uses in his IBFD mod. It spreads things out and give a feeling as to the size of the empire.

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Quote Originally Posted by jtareb View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this mod. Just a couple of questions:
    thanks

Are the cities going to have the required buildings and infrastructure for their size? My biggest gripe against BI was having cities with huge pops and no buildings( aquaducts etc..) leaving cities in revolt. My view is that cities should start out with the basic buildings needed for their population size. Rome itself should already be maxed out aside from special buildings built after Aurelian's coming to the throne--the great temple of Sol Invictus being an example.
    julianus heraclius can answer this best, but I think we all share the same idea. that is one major gripe I have against vanilla total war games, I mean Thessalonica in M2TW has a palisade ?!!!
    aside from that jh has also been working on multiple temples and other buildings for IJ w/c would most probably make it here also

I hope you're thinking of using a map similar to the one Rio uses in his IBFD mod. It spreads things out and give a feeling as to the size of the empire.
    once again jh will have the final say but problem with warmap is that u'll end up with a very much reduced Sassanid empire w/c will reduce their threat factor.
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    1) both these campaigns are going to be fantastic I already know...

2) Why isn't the eastern-roman empire playable in the 3rd century crisis campaign? Does eastern empire refer to the palmyran empire? Is the mod before or after the tetrarchy?

you guys rock...
    The mod starting with Aurelian is set before the tetrarchy, so there should not be an Eastern Roman Empire until the division of the Empire between Augustii and Caesars made by Diocletian and the Civil Wars that followed.

That said, this looks really promising, guys. An old dream come true.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

When you read the factions list those on the left are the hard-coded vanilla names.

For each one there is an corresponding faction for the game. For this mod the east roman faction is palmyra, as yes there is no east or west roman empire till the mid-late 4th C.

so for the Aurelian mod, the ERR faction is called Palmyra. For the Constantine campaign this faction is not playable as by this timeframe Palmyra as an empire no longer existed, it of course being defeated by Aurelian.

Wow guys, I was looking around today thinking "It would be nice to see a mod span the period between 'standard' imperial legions and the "Diocletian Reforms" legions. Needless to say, this really excites me!
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

Marcus Bestia's Avatar Civis

im looking forward to restitutor orbis, especially constantine's campaign. good old civil war, romans against romans, that will be a bloody one. i hope my favourite emperor maxentius will have sympathetic portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Bestia View Post
    im looking forward to restitutor orbis, especially constantine's campaign. good old civil war, romans against romans, that will be a bloody one. i hope my favourite emperor maxentius will have sympathetic portrait.
    Yes it is a period of Roman history that seems to get forgotten. But we are going rectify that.

Will there be a "Marian Reforms" type event to signal the Diocletian reforms, or will it be more along the lines of player preference? I'm not a great modder by any means, but I have a limited amount of skinning experience if you want some rough help.
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

That's something we are still discussing. I would like to have some kind of "marian" reform probably revolving more around the time period of Constantine, so I would envisage some time after he became sole ruler, but the date is arbitrary. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not good at scripting and would require some assistance in this. Any help from anybody in this regard would be really good.

I don't know much about campaign coding, tbh. I've only coded on N2TW, so I have adding units to the DMB and so on to a 'T,' but not campaign. the Descr_strat is a pretty substantial piece of work!!!

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Good luck! just don't forget(helpful advise):
    1-moors=not arabs (something from IBFD that ground my you know..)-but you probably know that
    2-arabs at the time used straight swords that were like spathae
    3-Arabs used chain, not scale with silk over it (I'm tired of hollywood stereotypes in BI)

(I base this on wikipedia, osprey's yarmouk book, a website that discussed that, common sense, and EB's research)
    4-show all units that you make on this preview.. please

also some questions:
    1-why does everyone have scale instead of chain (out of curiosity-they look awesome)
    2-why no helmet for that first cohort from the west? (I'm aware of the coiff on him, but still)

fortuna Bona! deus te et tuum fortunam benedicat
    (good luck, may god bless you with good fortune (with this mod))
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; March 08, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Hi, this mod looks good, can't wait to play it. I hope that it isn't so hard that it's aweful to play.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Naughteous Maximus's Avatar Tiro

Hello Ramon and JH, Here are a couple of maps I included on the Gallic and Palmyrian Empires. Hope they come in handy.

NM

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit View Post
    Hi, this mod looks good, can't wait to play it. I hope that it isn't so hard that it's aweful to play.

DHS
    It's the 3rd century crisis! it will be the silver surfer(NES game) of the IBFD series!
    www.angryvgnerd.com find the movies part, and look for his silver surfer review
    PS: I'm hust kidding-still this is the 3rd century...

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

I think that this mod will be SWEET but it would be cool to have a reform.
    it would realy make you feel like your in the time of change and shed light on legion to Comitatenses but I have no clue at realy how you would go about doing that so one can only hope....BUT if you do need any historical help I cant try to do my best. GOOD LUCK YAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    That's something we are still discussing. I would like to have some kind of "marian" reform probably revolving more around the time period of Constantine, so I would envisage some time after he became sole ruler, but the date is arbitrary. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not good at scripting and would require some assistance in this. Any help from anybody in this regard would be really good.

How about using scripting similar to what is done with the EB mod such as below. Basically checking if a certain building is built in a particular city, checking the number of turns al;ready played and the number of battles fought.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

I know BI (and even M2 iirc) has marian reforms included. So the script should be able to be copied from RTW and placed, with some changes, into BI.

Good, :hmmm: I think I might just give that job to midnite and Horton