Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion & Comments

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    I know this is probably asking alot... but could you guys by any chance implement 0-turn recruitment in this mod, as a seperate option? I've fallen in love with Roma Surrectum II's system.
    I think you should wash your mouth out with soap over that request.
    To be honest I am not a fan of 0 turn recruitment but am always happy in providing an alternative option. I just think it gives the roman factions way too much advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    I think you should wash your mouth out with soap over that request.
    To be honest I am not a fan of 0 turn recruitment but am always happy in providing an alternative option. I just think it gives the roman factions way too much advantage.
    I'm speechless. I feel like I failed you with my inferior ways julianus. And honestly I wouldn't know how to provide a counter argument. It simply appears too unrealistic for me to have to wait so long for one unit. The barbarians on the other hand, they spam units like rabbits!

I found the perfect person to illustrate how I feel:
    Moff Jerjerrod: Lord Vader, this is an unexpected pleasure. We are honored by your presence -
    Darth Vader: You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.
    Moff Jerjerrod: I assure you, Lord Vader. My men are working as fast as they can.
    Darth Vader: Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.
    Moff Jerjerrod: I tell you, this station will be operational as planned.
    Darth Vader: The emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
    Moff Jerjerrod: But, he asks the impossible. I need more men!
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; March 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

The barbarians on the other hand, they spam units like rabbits!
    I think this was intended to represent the mobilization of the tribes. All male members of the tribe, if they were health, were avaible to military service for their tribal chiefs. I like how the recruitment is done for SAI.

That's fine to an extent, but it seems strange for Rome to be limited so much in terms of men. I mean seriously...
    (I'm probably making myself look like a fool at the moment, as I am somewhat inebriated)
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; April 01, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, the Roman army lost many men during the Third century AD, for example Aurelian forced the defeat tribes to hand over a recruits to the army to fill the ranks. Also the Roman army was professional force, so the replacement of losses should be more difficult for them - the training take some time.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

FCG the words of julianus are wise! Redeem yourself! Repent First Citizen!!! Repent!!!

More seriously the recruitment for the Roman was increasly difficult during the III century, as said tomySVK, the Romans lost an incredible amount of men and resources during a century of Total Civil War!

Anyway I do not like 0 turns recruitment! it transforms any historical Mod in an Arcade PC game!

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Punish your self

Signature made by Joar

Needless to say, I'll probably just go ahead with the 6 turn per year campaign script. Obviously, the more turns there are, the more it equates to longer training periods.
    Oh, and I don't believe I need to redeem myself whatsoever.
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; April 02, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

How are you guys going to treat the Carpi? Since there is quite some academic debate whether they were a confederation of Free Dacians or if they were of Sarmatian origin or a combination.

It is my understanding, from what I have read that the Carpi were a Dacian tribal federation, the Roloxani I think were their nearest Sarmation neighbours. But from what I can tell and looking a the archaeological evidence they were Dacians, but they cease to be mentioned after about 290-300 when they enter the empire as refugees. Not that I am making the mod, but I would depict them as Dacians, with no doubt Gothic and Sarmation influences...and more than likely more than a little Roman artifacts in their material culture as they were a Roman client state

Signature made by Joar

But if the carpi was dacians they look similar or same like the Dacians Trajan wars?

There some pictures of Dacians of the Trajan times:

And the Trajan Column:

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; April 06, 2012 at 06:07 AM.

Nice pics, I am really not sure, I'm sure they would of kept some of their ethnic traditions but it has been almost 170-200 years of being next to the Romans, Sarmations, and Germans

Signature made by Joar

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    It is my understanding, from what I have read that the Carpi were a Dacian tribal federation, the Roloxani I think were their nearest Sarmation neighbours. But from what I can tell and looking a the archaeological evidence they were Dacians, but they cease to be mentioned after about 290-300 when they enter the empire as refugees. Not that I am making the mod
    Yes I agree with you, I am also the oppinion that they were the remnants of the Dacian tribes not conquered by the Romans. They cease to be mentioned is sometime after 1318. But I don't know about them being a Roman client state. The Carpians repeatedly invaded Roman territory in coalitions with the Goths and Sarmatians many times between 238 and 318. Evidence suggests that in 318 the Carpians were heavily defeated and forcefully resettled in Pannonia. The title Carpicus Maximus was claimed the last time in 318 by Constantine and Dacicus Maximus was claimed the last time in 336. So after these dates they definetly cease to be an important group, either being completely relocated or absorbed by the Goths.

but I would depict them as Dacians, with no doubt Gothic and Sarmation influences...and more than likely more than a little Roman artifacts in their material culture as they were a Roman client state
    Well the Dacians had been in contact with the Sarmatians and Scythians for hundreds of the years. Even during the Trajan's Dacia wars the Dacian had heavily armoured allied Sarmatian horsemen in their armies as depicted on Trajan's column. So yes, id say Dacian combined with Gothic and Sarmatian, would limit the Roman influence.

The Roman influences would of been important in material culture only, very much like the influence on Germanic tribes on the Rhine, in that it was proximity to the Romans that caused federations to form

Signature made by Joar

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

In my personal opinion I like the 0 turn recruitment but I be a good player and I don't spam units. garrisons are small unless they are a border cities and then I keep the garrisons a little larger and then the few field armies I have are big but that's about it.

Yes actually even 0 turn, if played in the right way, like Emperor Caesar well explained, can be a good choice, and sometime the long recruitment times, might be a little annoying.

I continue to prefer 1 turn, because IMHO, even if you play well, the AI using 0 turn, creates too many stacks and the game become boring: In RSII 0 turns, I fought a monstuous amount of battle every turn, at first it was funny but after some time I started to get bored.....too many battles and when you conquer a city you find very small population: the AI depleted the human resources to send against you stack after stack!.....Maybe with a better AI it could be more interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Yes actually even 0 turn, if played in the right way, like Emperor Caesar well explained, can be a good choice, and sometime the long recruitment times, might be a little annoying.

I continue to prefer 1 turn, because IMHO, even if you play well, the AI using 0 turn, creates too many stacks and the game become boring: In RSII 0 turns, I fought a monstuous amount of battle every turn, at first it was funny but after some time I started to get bored.....too many battles and when you conquer a city you find very small population: the AI depleted the human resources to send against you stack after stack!.....Maybe with a better AI it could be more interesting....
    I don't know, I like to play slow and methodical. I allow my enemies enough time to build themselves up and try to simulate certain conditions. I don't understand why I was immediately slammed for simply suggesting a 0-turn choice. I enjoy having time to build up my infrastructure and military to allow myself flexibility in any given theater. I don't personally enjoy being limited to just one given army (that I can scarcely afford) to defend myself against countless hordes in one region. And I certainly don't spam and invade every portion of the map I see.

The slamming was all in jest, so apologies if I offended

Signature made by Joar

...Beware First Citizen, some 'agentes in rebus', have been sent to investigate about your strange thoughts about the heretic and disloyal suggestion of the '0' turns.....your position could worsen...

The slamming was all in jest, so apologies if I offended
    I guess I can be a tad over sensitive. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    ...Beware First Citizen, some 'agentes in rebus', have been sent to investigate about your strange thoughts about the heretic and disloyal suggestion of the '0' turns.....your position could worsen...
    Come at me bro lol

Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; April 13, 2012 at 07:39 PM.