• Renaissance Total War

93 4.47%
  • Exploration Total War

25 1.20%
  • Vikings Total War

35 1.68%
  • World War 1 Total War

334 16.05%

Thread: Where does Total War go after Empire..?

Default Re: Where does Total War go after Empire..?

Merged threads about the next Total War game/add-on.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Don_yuri's Avatar Libertus

I think somthing based on the americas would be nice. Somthing like, you only have 1000 men in a small town, your under constant attack from savages and other european explorers, and you must work your way up, making alliances to get more men, and more support from the old world. It should concentrate more on making friends, then just killing everyone because diplomacy is broken*cough*Medieval 2*cough*

I want a Rome total war with more of a rpg like experience with generals gaining qualities both diplomatically and battlefield tactics. Perhaps legions gain allegiance to certain generals and not the king/emperor/republic. It needs to start earlier say around 250 BC. This would allow for us to get Greece, beginnings of rome, persia, egypt and some other small kingdoms throughout the middle east. Also it would allow for northern European tribes to change history.

An awesome addition to the game would be to allow the user to research technologies and create units using different weapons/armor/ special abilities i.e. stakes. Some limitation to this would be necessary in order to prevent god units but it would be very unique to allow this kind of customization. Precautions could be made in order to keep the troops within line historically in which triggers would need to happen in order for the creation of the troops.

CA said they will be making a major announcement in Germany next week so .... maybe NAZI TOTAL WAR! LOL!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Senator

Are they gonna announce an expansion pack for etw?

Lucas the Great's Avatar Civis

Exactly. Can somebody post the source of the information 'bout the exp. pack? It's only a gossip or something more serious?

Magestryn's Avatar Decanus

I think that going in the time flow would mean the 1800's.. An Empire 2 would work with it starting in 1700 and ending at 1900.. there are a lot of wars that occured in that century from the war of 1812 to Napoleon, the Crimean, Spanish American war. There would be a lot of things that could be done in that time frame

Is this only a guesswork or the predictions are based on something?

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

whats all this about an exp pack?
    You look great today.

What about China: Total War? Perhaps the Spring and Autumn, Warring States, or Three Kingdom's period? each is full of factions, large enough area especially if they include they include mongolia, Japan, and the areas of Northern Vietnam/Laos.

Personally, I would be dubious about buying another CA designed game based on the 18th Century or later, so I'm hoping they go back to the periods they understand. I would vote for Sun Tzu and ChinTW

It was anonced that the next title to be announced by CA will not be an expansion or add-on. So put that out of your minds for the moment. It was also announced in the daily update thread on the other forum that CA have an anouncement to make. Just trying to clear things up.

I think CA are going to be looking to please the community as much as possible. As much as we criticise them, they do keep an eye on these forums, and it wouldn't surprise me if this thread has infulenced the decision somewhat. The majority seem to want Rome 2, and I bet that's what they do. Provided this anouncement isn't for another console game with a high ESRB rating that you can't get on PC.

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Napoleon : Total War - the expansion ?

Here are four pics which has been posted in the french forums. We don't know if it's true or not, but if it is the extension of ETW would be Napoleon TW.

The date for the first 3 pics is wrong too.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by sinople; August 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM.

Default Re: Napoleon : Total War - the expansion ?

Looks legit. My French isn't too good but I'll have a read and see what I can get out of it.

EDIT: Okay, here's what I've got:

-The first column is mostly just a recap of TW so far, but they way they're talking about the game suggests it's a standalone thing. It's the "next" chapter in the total war series, not an expansion.

-Previous TWs have focused on periods; this one focuses on the heroes of history.

-The second column mentions three campaigns; one based on Napoleon's campaigns in Italy, one in Egypt, and one including and following the campaign in Russia (I think).

-The effect of the scorched earth tactics in Russia is mentioned; apparently the cold will play a role.

-Trafalgar is mentioned; you can play it as either side. Waterloo will, somewhat obviously, be featured as well.

-Diplomacy will be improved; they want people to take part in discussions with the same "exuberance" they have in battles.

-They like the graphics.

-I'm not sure about this bit, but midway down the second column of the last page it says something about being able to change the historical accuracy as one pleases. This may be referring to the developers rather than the player, though, I can't really tell. There's also something about the graphics being great despite the great historical rigour, which I can't quite make sense of.

-Multiplayer will be improved.

-Some sort of avatar system will be created for online (?)

-More steam achievements

-Apparently they're working on implementing voice-based orders.

-There will be an editor for creating uniforms

There are still quite a few bits I can't understand, but I think that's most of it.
    Last edited by Deathofjams; August 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

I can translate it, but I'm going on vacation in a few hours...

But the main point is that there would be 3 separate campaigns, each at a different moment of Napoleon's campaign, and that the diplomacy will be improved to avoid the following situation : "I'm the best at war, so I can get ride of all my ennemies".

Is there somebody who speaks French? Can you translate it?

I think that going in that direction would be a mistake. It is too similar to the era of Empire. If it wanted to shift toward a new era the American Civil War is considered by many to be the first modern War. Machine Guns, Rifled Barrels, Trenches, etc.

I think that Napoleon addition would add little to no new game play. The only thing that it could add would be additions to the game that are currently not present already for the current time period that should have already been in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Staggart View Post
    I think that going in that direction would be a mistake. It is too similar to the era of Empire. If it wanted to shift toward a new era the American Civil War is considered by many to be the first modern War. Machine Guns, Rifled Barrels, Trenches, etc.

I think that Napoleon addition would add little to no new game play. The only thing that it could add would be additions to the game that are currently not present already for the current time period that should have already been in the game.
    All that matters is how much revenue they can generate. They'll do very, very well with this.

Is it going to be an expansion pack or a separate game?

Quote Originally Posted by Staggart View Post

It depends what you consider the game to be. If you think of it as a full, new Total War game in it's own right it does seem a little similar, but if you consider it to be a stand-alone expansion (rather like the Dawn of War expansions or like Rome's Alexander expansion) it does make some sense.

Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas the Great View Post
    Is it going to be an expansion pack or a separate game?
    A bit of both, I think. From the way they talk about it it seems separate (you likely won't need Empire to play it) but it will likely be heavily based on Empire. I wouldn't be surprised if it's priced like an expansion, too.