Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Version 1.0 Release

Finally, at long last ATVTW version 1.0. This release has been "ready" to go for over a month but I keep finding things to fix and improve. In fact after I started writing this up (for the 3rd or 4th time) I'm still making changes to the program (the first time I thought 1.0 was done was december 17th).

The original thread over at the org is located here.

Fixes:
    • Fixed some events not being included in the list of events
    • Fixed event errors not being reported
    • Fixed some conditions not being listed correctly
    • Fixed religions being considered an attribute (they are seperate now)
    • Fixed religions not being checked

Improvements:
    • UI Improvements
      • One set of buttons for all tabs
      • Expandable elements for conditions/effects/antitriats/etc that could be more than the space provided
      • Functional menu bar
      • Seperate area for religious beliefs on the traits/ancillaries tabs
      • Seperated trait/ancillaries on the Ancillary Triggers tab
      • The drop down menu for Path to files allows to to browse to the directory of the files (it adds the location to the drop down menu)
      • Trigger tabs are now listing items by trigger, instead of by trait/ancillary
      • Double clicking on a trait/ancillary on the trigger tab will bring up the corresponding trait/ancillary

• Parsing Improvements
      • Checks for lines being in the correct order
      • Checks for correct number of tokens on each line
      • Outputs line number of lines with errors
      • Only need to parse once to parse both traits/ancillaries

• Searching Implemented for both sets of triggers (works as for traits/ancillaries)
    • Error Checking Improvements
      • For Trait/Ancillaries tab, more detailed messages for any errors
      • For Trait tab, if there is an error on one level, the "Next Problem" button will continue from the next level instead of the next trait
      • All errors/warnings that are visible have an error/warning message displayed
      • Added warnings for antitraits/excludedancillaries that don't work both ways and for having more than one character type for a trait, as they won't cause errors but will impair correct functionality of the files (warnings are displayed in blue)
      • Condition checking
        • Most conditions are checked against hardcoded values
        • CultureType/FactionType are checked against vanilla & BI values
        • Settlement Names/Building Names/Unit Names are not checked
        • Numeric Values are split into three groupings, non-negative integers, all integers, non-integers depending on the allowed values for the parameter

• ATVTW Options
      • Added an option to stop on warnings when checking for errors

Last edited by Squid; June 04, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Default ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Current Version: Version 2.2.7 (Mar 20 2012)
    Required: .Net Framework v3.5 or better

What does ATVTW do?

ATVTW is a program which validates the trait/ancillaries/advicethreads for Rome: Total War, Barbarian Invasions, Alexander: Total War, Medieval II Total War and Kingdoms. It checks most problems (common and rare) related to traits/ancillaries, and will display those errors when requested. It displays all information about each trait, ancillary and trigger. It has built in search functionality if you need to move to specific traits/ancillaries/advicethreads/triggers. It checks the traits/ancillaries in descr_strat and export_descr_prebattle_speeches if the traits exist and if the levels are valid. It will also give you a list of traits and ancillaries which cannot be acquired through triggers.

How to use ATVTW:

There are two parts to using ATVTW. The first is parsing the trait/ancillary files, this is the first thing that you do when you start the program. If you haven't used the program before you'll need to create a new setting (mod). This basically involves choosing the engine, the name of the settings and the data folder in which all the files reside. If the setting you want already exists, open it. Upon creating or opening a setting the files will be parsed, this will identify errors (one per trait, ancillary or trigger) where ATVTW cannot properly read a trait, ancillary or trigger. These errors must be fixed before continuing. Once the files are successfully parsed, use the next problem button on each tab to find errors and/or warnings.

Required Files:
    data/export_descr_character_traits.txt
    data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data/descr_cultures.txt
    data/descr_sm_factions.txt
    data/export_descr_buildings.txt
    data/export_descr_units.txt
    data/export_descr_advice.txt
    data/text/export_VnVs.txt
    data/text/export_ancillaries.txt
    data/text/export_advice.txt
    descr_regions.txt in either maps/base/ or maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/ or maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/
    data/text/barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt or data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

Required M2TW Files:
    data/descr_missions.txt
    data/descr_religions.txt

Optional RTW File:
    data/descr_beliefs.txt

Change log for version 2.2.7

Previous Versions' Change Logs:
    Spoiler for Change Logs for Previous Versions

See change log for version 2.2.6 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.4 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.1 here.
    See change log for version 2.2.0 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.1.1 here
    See change log for version 2.1.0 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.7 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.6 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.5 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.4 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.3 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.2 here.
    See change log for version 2.0.1 here.
    See change log for version 2.0 here.
    See change log for version 1.3.1 here.
    See change log for version 1.2 here.
    See change log for version 1.1 here.
    See change log for version 1.0 here.
    Pre 1.0 changes can be found here.

Download: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2657

Features to come:
    • Add ability to identify custom trait/ancillary attributes
    • Add the ability to modify and add to the traits/ancillaries files
    • Improve handling of window resizing for the tabbed portion of the window
    • Add ability to read ancillary images from the packed content (RTW at least) as well as the local ui/ancillaries folder
    • Add ability to monitor files for changes and to reparse files when changes detected
    • Add ability to check scripts for trait/ancillary existence and correct levels (traits only)
    • Any other suggestions that are made that I can figure out how to implement

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions for improvements please post them here or PM them to them.

Special thanks go to Tamur for releasing his code so I could work on it, and to Calvin for all his work in testing the program and all his suggestions for improvements. He will be missed.
    Last edited by Squid; March 20, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Updated for version 2.2.7
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Default Re: ATVTW - Trait/Ancillary Validator

Version 1.1 release - This is a minor bug-fix version of the validator while I complete the big 2.0 release of the validator.

Fixes:
    - fixed faction name alemanni not being recognized as a valid faction
    - fixed incorrect tokens for I_AgentType condition
    - fixed religious_order not being recognized as a valid effect
    - various and sundry other minor fixes I can no longer remember

UI Improvements:
    - added Religious Order label to the interface for the trait and ancillary tabs

Go to the first post to get the new version.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 1.2 - I swore that 1.1 was the last update to 1.0 series of ATVTW but RedFox pointed to the XGM XC submod which had issues with a previous version, it led me to the first error. Dealing with that I found all the other errors, so here's another update, again bug fixes.

Bugs Fixed:

• Minimized the occurance of false positives (i.e. a reported error that isn't an error) if brackets are used in the name of an entry. This can't be totally fixed without a major rewrite, so I wasn't going to do that with version 2 on the way which already deals with the problem.
    • Mismatched background colour of the lists to the background color of the program in most windows environemnts
    • Duplicate ancillaries reporting the enum entry for the ancillary name is not defined in export_ancillaries.txt when the entry is defined (1st occurrence works as expected)
    • Duplicate ancillaries not reporting they are duplicates if the entry for the ancillary name is not defined in export_ancillaries.txt (1st occurrence works as expected)
    • Find Orphans only checking the second ancillary
    • Find Orphans reporting duplicate traits/ancillaries as being orphaned (1st occurrence is treated correctly)

Improvements:

• Too many AntiTraits is no longer a parsing error
    • Too many ExcludedAncillaries is no longer a parsing error
    • Catches error in EDCT if you have more than 11 affects lines in a trigger
    • Checks descr_strat for the existence of all assigned traits/ancillaries
    • Catches error in a trait if you have an antitrait line with no traits listed
    • Catches error in an ancillary if you have an excludedancillaries line with no ancillaries listed.

I have a question about this good tool.
    Why when you add a new culture to my modifications, all ancillaries in export_descr_ancillaries.txt is displayed as an error when a new culture is attributed to ancillarie only ancillarie. For the export_descr_character_traits.txt in which I have also assigned to a new culture traits, everything works well
    everything seems to be well so why is that?

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Yes, because if you read the release notes for 1.0 version culture names are checked on a hardcoded basis and not based on the actual descr_cultures.txt file, so only the 8 culture names actually used in RTW/BI are considered valid. So, using RTW as an example, if you didn't name your 7th culture nomad or hun, it would show up as an error. Similarly, if you remove the senate/roman_britons and replace them with another faction any trigger that is specific to that new faction will generate an error.

Could you fix it? culture to be loaded, for example, out of descr_sm_factions.txt

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

It's part of the 2.0 version I'm working on, but it's slow as I have other priorities right now and 2.0 is a major rewrite of the code. Just do a find replace on the line CultureType XXX and replace it with ;CultureType XXX, then do the reverse after it's done. This will also catch any misspellings of XXX as well.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 1.3.1

Bugs Fixed:

• ATVTW would crash if either enum file had a { but no } on a line, ATVTW now reports the line as a parsing error
    • Small typo in a message for missing description enum for ancillaries

Improvements:

• The descr_strat checker now checks to see if the trait is followed by a positive integer
    • The descr_strat checker now checks if the level assigned is greater than the number of levels the trait has

Last edited by Squid; August 30, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Thank you for the new version Squid.
    You know I have been using your validator since the first version, and it is really useful.
    But our mod uses many times a condition that your tool detects as incorrect. And it is a bit annoying to change it everytime I want to use this tool.

The message error is: "Invalid number of parameters for condition WorldwideAncillaryExists"
    when parsing this trigger condition: "and not WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring true"

I know for sure this condition works right, since I have been using it for years and it is the base for all my scripts. So please, if you make another version, could you change your validator so it allows this condition.

I guess "and not WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring true" = "and WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring false",
    but I have never tested the 2nd one, and I doubt anyone has tested it as much as I have tested the 1st one.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

The docudemon say this about WorldWideAncillaryExists:

---------------------------------------------------
    Identifier: WorldwideAncillaryExists
    Trigger requirements: character_record
    Parameters: logic token
    Sample use: WorldwideAncillaryExists actor true
    Description: Does this ancillary already exist in the world?
    Battle or Strat: Strat
    Class: WORLDWIDE_ANCILLARY_EXISTS
    Implemented: Yes
    Author: Lee
    The docudemons are not always right. If you look at how CA actually uses the condition in BI it's used as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by export_descr_ancillaries.txt line 4539
    and not WorldwideAncillaryExists relic_christian_martyr
    This is how ATVTW is coded and how I've always used it. I think that the true is just being ignored by the exe when reading the file. If you do bump into any other oddities let me know and I'll look into them.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 2.0

Changes from 1.x Versions:
    This version of ATVTW is an almost total code rewrite from the previous version. I have pretty much gutted everything and redone it. The changes allow the code to be more reusable and easier to read, and will allow me to more easily add features to the program. A list of changes, hopefully complete, is:

• M2TW compatible, including all attributes, conditions, character types, common events, etc.
    • Removed all instances of false positives for errors from the program
    • Added checking for all building, units, religions, missions, paybacks, factions, cultures
    • Checks settlement names against those found in the imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt or barbarian_invasions/descr_strat.txt (if present)
    • Fixed error where all character type is not reported as an error with the AgentType condition
    • Changed UI to a toolstripbar UI instead of buttons (all functionality maintained)
    • Added ability to generate export_descr_VnV_enums.txt and export_descr_ancillary_enums.txt
    • Checks that the requirements of conditions are exported by the events in the trigger
    • Form components will resize if the window is resized
    • Will now report one parsing error per trait, ancillary or trigger as opposed to just the first parsing error found
    • Added checks for more warnings, including duplicate cultures, excludedancillaries and antitraits
    • Check for ancillary images has been added, this requires the file (export_descr_ancillary_images_enums.txt) to be in the data folder. The file export_descr_ancillary_images_enums.txt should contain one ancillary image (including file extension) per line. This can be generated by unpacking the ui folder and doing a directory listing on the data\ui\ancillaries directory and redirecting the output to a file.
    • Settings are remembered between sessions
    • Improved and more specific error messages for when there are an incorrect number of items/tokens on a line
    • Checks that comma seperated lists are actually comma seperated (i.e. antitraits/excludedancillaries)
    • Various other minor bug fixes and corrections

Super.

Great update, Squid. However, I am getting a couple errors.

This one says "length cannot be less than zero."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: length
    at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
    at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
    at TWLibrary.TWEnumReader.ReadEnum(String& enumName, String& enumBody, Boolean& onSameLine, Int32& lineNumber)
    at ATVTW.CustomLists.ReadEnums(Settings settings, String enumPath, List`1 enumList)
    at ATVTW.CustomLists.readTraitEnums(Settings settings)
    at ATVTW.CustomLists..ctor(Options options, Settings settings)
    at ATVTW.ATVTWForm.LoadHardcodedAndCustomLists()
    at ATVTW.ATVTWForm.ucParseFiles_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at ATVTW.ATVTWForm.SetSettingsAndParseFiles(Object sender, EventArgs e, Settings settings)
    at ATVTW.ATVTWForm.mnuFileOpen_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    ATVTW
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Creative%20Assembly/ATVTW.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    TWLibrary
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2.26
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2.26
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Creative%20Assembly/TWLibrary.DLL
    System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

And this one says "Unable to find the specified file."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.
    at ATVTW.CustomLists.OpenFile(Settings settings, String fileName)
    at ATVTW.CustomLists.readFile(Settings settings, String filename, String searchWord, List`1& aList, AddItemDelegate addMethod)
    at ATVTW.CustomLists.readSettlements(Options options, Settings settings)
    at ATVTW.ATVTWForm.SetSettingsAndParseFiles(Object sender, EventArgs e, Settings settings)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    ATVTW
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Creative%20Assembly/ATVTW.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    TWLibrary
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Creative%20Assembly/TWLibrary.DLL
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Also, I'm sure there is a reason for requiring the trait and ancillary enum files. But it is somewhat annoying when one's mod doesn't use them. Perhaps, you could add an ignore option for the missing enum files?

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

The enum files (text/export_VnV and text/export_ancillary) need to be checked because those are the single largest source of trait/ancillary related CTDs. I also don't think I've ever heard of anyone altering traits/ancillaries without altering those as well. The enum lookup files (i.e. the export_descr_XXX_enums files) are never used, though they can be generated as M2TW needs that ability.

As for those two crashes, both of those should already be checked, I'll look into it.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Here is error I get.

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: length
       at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
       at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
       at TWLibrary.TWEnumReader.ReadEnum(String& enumName, String& enumBody, Boolean& onSameLine, Int32& lineNumber)
       at ATVTW.CustomLists.ReadEnums(Settings settings, String enumPath, List`1 enumList)
       at ATVTW.CustomLists.readTraitEnums(Settings settings)

mscorlib
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    ATVTW
        CodeBase: file:///G:/modtrait%26ancillaries_ethnicedition/NewXCTraits/EthnicTraits3/XC%26SenateET3/ATVTW.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    System
    System.Drawing
    TWLibrary
        CodeBase: file:///G:/modtrait%26ancillaries_ethnicedition/NewXCTraits/EthnicTraits3/XC%26SenateET3/TWLibrary.DLL
    System.Core
        Win32 Version: 3.5.21022.8 built by: RTM

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    The enum files (text/export_VnV and text/export_ancillary) need to be checked because those are the single largest source of trait/ancillary related CTDs. I also don't think I've ever heard of anyone altering traits/ancillaries without altering those as well. The enum lookup files (i.e. the export_descr_XXX_enums files) are never used, though they can be generated as M2TW needs that ability.

As for those two crashes, both of those should already be checked, I'll look into it.
    Sorry, I meant the enum lookup files. Of course we have export_VnVs and export_ancillaries.
    I'm saying it would be nice to be able to ignore the lookup files.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

The lookup files are totally ignored as I said earlier unless you yourself decide to generate them. The error you get with the function called ReadEnum is actually referring to reading export_VnVs.txt and export_ancillaries.txt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    The lookup files are totally ignored as I said earlier unless you yourself decide to generate them. The error you get with the function called ReadEnum is actually referring to reading export_VnVs.txt and export_ancillaries.txt.
    Hm. I just know that when I did not have the lookup files, it wouldn't start, but when I created the files (blank), I got the error. So, if they aren't necessary, they were at least blocking the real error.

I'll post the files as soon as I get a chance.

EDIT:
    Here are the files I was using when I got the first error. I was using a slightly different set when I got the second, though it may be that the first error is covering the second.
    Last edited by CaesarVincens; October 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Downloaded and appreciated! ^_*

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast