Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faction - Byzantine Empire

The_Bulgar_Slayer's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Faction - Byzantine Empire

No problem Carpathian Wolf, Anthonius has got me covered.

Official Byzantine Historian for Tzardoms:Total War

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bulgar_Slayer View Post
    We'll probably have it listed like in both ways like Tzar wrote it on the first page. "Basileia ton Rhomaion" and "Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων"
    I advice you to use latin alphabet, greek ones are pretty difficult to read. So, I think it will be perfect if you guys use both names Basileia ton Rhomaion and Byzantine Empire (one name in local language and another in english).
    If you are going to use greek letters, then you should use cyrillic alphabet for slavic factions too.

Jazz19's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by speedyvm View Post
    I advice you to use latin alphabet, greek ones are pretty difficult to read. So, I think it will be perfect if you guys use both names Basileia ton Rhomaion and Byzantine Empire (one name in local language and another in english).
    If you are going to use greek letters, then you should use cyrillic alphabet for slavic factions too.
    Any chance of NOT using the term "Byzantine" in any english references, and using "Roman" or "Eastern Roman"??? (Please).

For example, in the Broken Cresent Mod, the faction is called "Eastern Roman Empire", but all references to it on the map are "Roman"...for example "Roman City", or "Roman fort" etc..... I find that to be the most historically accurate given the contemporary names.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

I think it's most accurate to go with "Roman Empire" and scratch the "Eastern", especially considering the Western Roman Empire is gone since a long time (and its regalia transfered to the East). And, anyway, that's how the country was called in those times - Roman Empire, not Eastern Roman Empire.

As I said above and is listed on the first page, the faction is Basileia ton Rhomaion or the Roman Empire. It would be an anachronism to call the faction by any other name. The term "Eastern" had been dropped for nearly 1000 years by this mod's timeframe, and "Byzantine" would not be conventionally used for another 500 years. Most of us will still refer to it as Byzantium just to avoid confusion with ancient Rome, but the faction will be called by their official name at the time, the Roman Empire.

(Note: the only other possible historic name used at the time would be "Empire of the Greeks," but that is what the West called them, not what they called themselves.)

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Any news on the home-made unit('s)??
    Miss me yet?

Work is starting on Bulgaria now, then Byzantium I believe. If anyone has any pictures of Tzakones fell free to post them here or PM me. I have plenty of descriptions and a few helpful pics, but no really good ones.

To all you Byzantine fans:

Here is the plan for how Byzantium will be set up in Tzardoms. Nearly 2/3 of the units will be straight from CBUR. About 1/3 of the units will be based on models we have already done for other factions (Turkish, Balkan, or Italian mercenary soldiers). The couple units left (like Tzakones) will be made from scratch.

So, what does this mean? Even though you've seen a large chunk of the roster before from CBUR, the other 40% of it will be brand new! This means that the Byzantine Empire in Tzardoms will be quite unique and should fit in very nicely with the times. The other nice thing for us is that we only have a couple Byzantine units to make from scratch and can still make this unique roster.

Also, my request for pictures of Tzakones is still aout there. If anyone has a pic or two, please PM me. Thanks.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Ask AnthoniusII.
    Miss me yet?

Thanks IPA35, but I've already asked him. Anthonius is a friend of mine who I've worked with some on CBUR and other stuff. I know he'll help out if he has any pictures.

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

To all you Byzantine fans:

Here is the plan for how Byzantium will be set up in Tzardoms. Nearly 2/3 of the units will be straight from CBUR. About 1/3 of the units will be based on models we have already done for other factions (Turkish, Balkan, or Italian mercenary soldiers). The couple units left (like Tzakones) will be made from scratch.

So, what does this mean? Even though you've seen a large chunk of the roster before from CBUR, the other 40% of it will be brand new! This means that the Byzantine Empire in Tzardoms will be quite unique and should fit in very nicely with the times. The other nice thing for us is that we only have a couple Byzantine units to make from scratch and can still make this unique roster.

Also, my request for pictures of Tzakones is still aout there. If anyone has a pic or two, please PM me. Thanks.
    That's very nice to hear, just wondering how the generals bodyguard would look to reflect the final days of the empire and how other cavalry units would look as well.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by eliza08 View Post
    That's very nice to hear, just wondering how the generals bodyguard would look to reflect the final days of the empire and how other cavalry units would look as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by eliza08 View Post

Thank you very much.
    The general's bodygaurd will wear a total mixture of Greek, Turkish, and Western armour and equipment. Here is a good picture which Anthonius posted a while back. You can see that he has predominately Byzantine armour with chainmail, epilourika, and helmet. He wears Western partial plate armour on his arms and carries a sabre of Turkish origin as well as the Balkan shield. He could also wear scale armour rather than the epilourika and have a helmet of a different style.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here is what the plan is for the other Byzantine cavalry units. There will be a few mercenary units (Tourkoi Hippotoxotai, Skythikon Hippotoxotai, Alvanioi Hippeis, Latinikon Hippeon Hetaireia). Most of these will use models we've already made for other units and the Latins will come from CBUR. Native cavalry will vary from light to heavily armed (Kavallarioi, Tzakonen Hippeis, Anthropoi tou Vasileos). You may notice a Tzakone cavalry unit here to go with the infantry one, as well as the general's bodygaurd. The other unit will come from CBUR. The last group are also native soldiers, the Pronoiaroi. There is one light and one heavy unit here(Stratiotai, Dynatoi). These will both come from CBUR.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by The_Bulgar_Slayer; August 18, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

The general's bodygaurd will where a total mixture of Greek, Turkish, and Western armour and equipment. Here is a good picture which Anthonius posted a while back. You can see that he has predominately Byzantine armour with chainmail, epilourika, and helmet. He wheres Western partial plate armour on his arms and carries a sabre of Turkish origin as well as the Balkan shield. He could also where scale armour rather than the epilourika and have a helmet of a different style.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here is what the plan is for the other Byzantine cavalry units. There will be a few mercenary units (Tourkoi Hippotoxotai, Skythikon Hippotoxotai, Alvanioi Hippeis, Latinikon Hippeon Hetaireia). Most of these will use models we've already made for other units and the Latins will come from CBUR. Native cavalry will include will vary from light to heavily armed (Kavallarioi, Tzakonen Hippeis, Anthropoi tou Vasileos). You may notice a Tzakone cavalry unit here to go with the infantry one as well as the general's bodygaurd. The other two units will come from CBUR. The last group are also native soldiers, the Pronoiaroi. There is one light and one heavy unit here(Stratiotai, Dynatoi). These will both come from CBUR.

I hope this helps.
    Great! Thanks a lot, the picture above, for me, is probably the coolest looking byzantine unit I've seen.

I really don't understand those Byzantese. The serbs were also part of the Byzantese empire. Where they then Byzantese too? The Byzantese where something like the Soviets or the NATO if we would translate it to this time, am I right? Or was there a fundamental nation or people which created this Byzantese empire and assimilated the others?
    kada se bjehmo svadili, tada nas Stjepan Rajkovic umiri i da nam nas grad Bobovac, a neda ga dati Ugrom.

"And when we were in a quarrel between each other; Stijepan Rajkovic calmed us down. And we entrusted our capital of Bobovac to him after which he defended it against the Hungarians (King Tvrtko I Kotromanic 1366.)"

Greek speaking people (optional), Christian Orthodox, under one Emperor who thought themselves as Roman as to them (and most historians) consider them as the descendants of the Eastern Romans, which were the only Romans left (to their eyes).

Byzantine was just a term used for the environ of Konstantinoupolis, if used at all. That term was coined up by German historians of the 15th Century, to justify using their title of "Holy Roman Empire" and claiming that Eastern Romans weren't Roman.

I realize how difficult it is to comprehend.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

slavic_crusader's Avatar Biarchus

well we all know that true romans died especially during the fall of rome 450 AD (400s-450). They just mix other cultures and simply died out as a "pure" race. Only the name survived and its legacy
    Слава Слога и вјеру у Бога!!!
    Slava Sloga i Vjeru u Boga

Supporter of Eastern Europe Total War!

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

That's a very simplified and common view, which isn't really correct. (Who are the "true Romans"? The ones from the time of Constantine the Great, of Trajan, of Caesar and Augustus, of the Republic, of the early kings of Rome?)
    Anyway, a "Byzantine" was anyone who was a subject of the Byzantine emperor (the basileos), no matter of their ethnicity. What mattered the most was the Orthodox faith, as the empire was the projection of the Kingdom of God on Earth and the emperor was God's representative on Earth (at least in words, of course). So, yes, Serbs, Bulgarians, Vlachs (from Great Wallachia in Thessaly) etc. were also Byzantines/Byzantine subjects, just like Greeks, Armenians etc. in different times. Of course, since Serbs and Bulgarians were non-Byzantines most of the time, while the Greeks were almost always Byzantines, many people consider "Byzantines" to be equal to "Greeks" (especially since the official language of the state was Greek).
    Last edited by NikeBG; October 02, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

Long Live the Byzantine Empire!

Thanks for the info
    kada se bjehmo svadili, tada nas Stjepan Rajkovic umiri i da nam nas grad Bobovac, a neda ga dati Ugrom.

"And when we were in a quarrel between each other; Stijepan Rajkovic calmed us down. And we entrusted our capital of Bobovac to him after which he defended it against the Hungarians (King Tvrtko I Kotromanic 1366.)"

The "Byzantines" or as historically accurate, Romans were those who lived in the Roman Empire, and were Orthodox Christian. Especially the last part, that is what unified the people most and foremost.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge