Page 9 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: What games are you currently playing?

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

Default Re: What games are you currently playing?

Right now, I'm playing Half Life 2, and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, it's fun.

And thanks to a certain TWC member...Rapelay!, errr..
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

argh im just so hooked on CoH OF: right now. might make a proper account tho, smurfing FTW! I just lost quite a lot of games early on experimenting all the new things and stuff. And lots of team mate drops on me. Might try the 1vs1 sometime.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

I just started playing Planescape Torment, which I have never played before.

Right now I'm in the Hive.

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

NWN 2 and have some fun

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Just fired up Civ 3, because I have a perverse urge to watch my tanks get slaughtered by a bunch of spearmen...

The Civipedia for 3 reads in order to harvest gold, one has to have a worker, working the tile. I never figured that out; since there's no worker command called 'stand there and dig up gold', does this mean just stand the worker on the tile?; have him build a mine and move on?'

Crap and carboard, Civ 3 graphically and gizmo-wize is a better game than Civ 4, imho, but the game balance is just garbage. I pour my whole micromanaging into tech, with a tech-heavy nation, but sure enough when I meet another nation, they've got (impossibly) four or five more techs than me.
    ARRRRRRRghhhh! Frustrating. It's the reason why I keep Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri on my harddrive, so I remember the greatness that Sid Meier was.
    Anyone care to share their strategy tips for Civ 3?

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

By have a worker working the tile, it means in the city screen, have a citizen of the city assigned to use that tile to gather from for shield/commerce/food etc.

Strategy tip for Civ 3 - Play civ 2, or even civ 1 if you have it.

I'm currently playing Dawn of War: Soulstorm and have rediscovered C&C: Red Alert 2, and am determined to actually finish the campaigns for both the Americans and Russians on Hard.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance – Good game, well paced, however I’m get a bit bored of it now.

Rainbow Six: Las Vegas – Not exactly a classic, it looks and plays like a console shooter, the colours look like someone how blurred them with a bucket of water. It’s also very dumbed down, it doesn’t matter how many times you get shot just so long as you sit on your fat back side for a few seconds you heal up and you’re ready to right again, just like in real life! The tactical elements are also repetitive (snake cam, tag bad guys, breach and clear over and over and over again). Despite all of its faults………….I can’t stop playing it, it’s very addictive. Rainbow Six Las Vegas is the game equivalent of McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellup View Post
    By have a worker working the tile, it means in the city screen, have a citizen of the city assigned to use that tile to gather from for shield/commerce/food etc.

Strategy tip for Civ 3 - Play civ 2, or even civ 1 if you have it.
    Thanks Nell. I thought it might have to do with the city screen. Question though; what about gold deposits specifically?? Just put a mine on them? Normally gold deposit are found outside of the influence of the city screen. When I build a mine on them my cash flow doesn't increase.
    I'm a civ 2 vet, but the mechanics between Civ 2 and 3 are quite different.
    @Freddie; yeah the Rainbow franchise has been dumbed down horribly, turned into the Mickey Mouse Club. It's a shame, really.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post
    Thanks Nell. I thought it might have to do with the city screen. Question though; what about gold deposits specifically?? Just put a mine on them? Normally gold deposit are found outside of the influence of the city screen. When I build a mine on them my cash flow doesn't increase.
    I'm a civ 2 vet, but the mechanics between Civ 2 and 3 are quite different.
    Building a mine of them and a road leading to your trade network will IIRC give a happiness bonus in the cities, as it is a luxury item. But if the gold isn't in the city radius then you won't get the commerce bonus that it gives.

By "Strategy tip for Civ 3 - Play civ 2, or even civ 1 if you have it." I meant go play civ 1 or 2, they are better IMHO. Civ 4 picked things up again, but compared to 1, 2 and Alpha Centuri, it isn't brilliant. Like M2TW, it relies on superior graphics rather than superior gameplay.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Agreed. I liked the additon of aggresive corporations in Civ 4, and improved space race graphics, but that's about it.
    It be great if another Alpha Centauri was made, so long as it wasn't turned into another bobble-head cartoon.

The key to keeping up in the tech race in Civ 3 is to trade techs early and often. The computer is just better at research than you are, especially early. It's AI bonuses just win out given that you haven't had time to use your big human brain to build a better empire than them. Also, the computer trades techs extensively as well, so if you're not trading you're at a real disadvantage because you're up against 4 or 5 civs that are basically cooperating in their tech research. This is why if you play an archipelago map you have a huge advantage relatively speaking, because the computer civs can't trade techs early (or in some cases ever, then you get chariots in 2000 AD.)

Conversely you can really exploit the situation if you trade intelligently. As soon as you research a tech, on that very same turn, trade it. Then, again on the same turn, try to trade it again. If you wait a turn the first civ you traded it to will pass it around. Keep trading that tech to as many civs as you can and get as much for it as you can, even if it's just cash. If you don't sell them the tech, someone else will next turn. Try to research techs no one else has, even if you don't really want them. Not only can you trade it to more civs, techs no one else has are worth more in the negotiation screen (which is why you get the best deal for your first trade of the tech, and your worst for the last.)
    Last edited by ajm317; April 04, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Great tips, ajm. I've been nigardly in the past with giving out my tech, but now I'll try a more 'glasnost' approach. Thanks for the help.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Default Playlists

Here we will list what games we're playing at the moment, just because I want to know. I will begin by saying I've re-discovered Roller Coaster Tycoon and I'm playing that through now. Oh and TF2, but I'm always playing that so it's kind of a given.

Default Re: Playlists

Games I've been playing in the last 2 weeks:

Team Fortress 2
    Audiosurf
    Red Alert 3
    Battlefield 2

I've got Diablo II, Morrowind and Fallout 3 gathering dust by my PC due to university life leaving me little free time to relax and get into a game. That's why the games on the list are the kind you can just drop into, play for a bit and quit whilst feeling like you've done something and aren't discarding anything because you've played for too short a time. Multiplayer FPS games are excellent for this (I'm looking at you TF2 ). Games I want on my playlist? Mirrors Edge. Dear god, I want that game so bad. I'm considering buying an Xbox 360 controller for my PC just because that game looks like it'd be more fun playing with it.
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

EU3: IN
    Fallout 3
    Gears of War 2
    My pony jumps ever so high

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

LEgend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    God of war
    Rome Total War and barbarian invasion.
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
    Starcraft Brood War
    And a bunch of random flash games found on countless different websites.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Final Fantasy IX
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (online mostly)
    Fallout 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Current playing list

Need for Speed Undercover
    Mass Effect

Games I played within the last month

Max Payne 1 & 2
    Mafia
    Dead Space
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    Need for Speed Carbon

Games that are calling me back

Medieval 2: Total War
    EUIII
    Last edited by TemplarLord; November 28, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Gawd damn grammar errors

_TheChevalier_'s Avatar Centenarius

The ones in my signature plus Blitz The League II.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do not breathe, neither look or listen, DO NOT EXIST!!!"

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Time to update my list:

Call of Duty 4
    Fallout 3
    Dead Space
    Little Big Planet
    Mirror's Edge
    Left 4 Dead
    Team Fortress 2
    Rock Band
    Final Fantasy IX
    Bioshock (again, wheeee)
    Last edited by Thanatos; November 28, 2008 at 03:44 PM.