Thread: Faction - Ottoman Empire

Default Re: Faction - Ottoman Empire

Osmanli Sanati
    http://osmanlisanati.com/p1.html#
    lots of good pictures
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Matthĉus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

i could use some fabric samples (silk, cotton, even rugs with turkish ornaments and decorations) that can be turned into cloth textures.

Quote Originally Posted by nnnm View Post
    Wooow...look to this guys -posted by Little Legionaire
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...01&postcount=1
    Pretty cool stuff...
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

Some interesting staff

Lands, dominions, territories, vassals and neighbors in Europe:
    Asia Minor : Rum / Anadolu
    Balkans : Urumeli
    Albania : Arnavutluk (/Albanian = Arnavut)
    Montenegro : Karadağ
    Genoese : Ceneviz
    Serbia : Sirbistan
    Bulgaria : Bulgaristan
    Wallachia : Eflak
    Moldova : Boğdan
    Transylvania : Erdel
    Hungaria : Macaristan
    Austria/Germany : Nemçe
    Bosnia : Bosna
    Herzegovina : Hersek
    Croatia : Hirvatistan
    Poland : Lehistan
    France : Frengistan
    Portugal : Portukal
    Spain : Ispanya
    Flanders : Flandır
    Crimean Khanate : Kirim Hanliği
    Russian Tzardom : Mosqov Çasarligi
    Ragusa : Dubrovnik / Raguza
    Aegean Archipelago : Cezayir
    Banat : Temeşvar
    Crete : Girid
    Negroponte : Eğriboz
    Thessaly : Tirhala
    Podolia : Podolya
    Dalmatia : Dalmaçya
    Venice : Venedig
    Rhodes : Rodos

Some City Names:

Constantinople : Kostantiniyye / Istanbul (Qostantiniyye) both used
    Adrianople : Edirne
    Nikomedia : Izmit
    Nicaea : Iznik
    Smyrna : Izmir
    Bursa : Hüdavendigar
    Caesarea : Kayseri
    Ikonium : Konya
    Salonica : Selanik
    Rodosto : Tekfurdağı (Tekirdağ)
    Saranta Ekklesiai : Kırkkilise (Kırklareli)
    Erevan : Revan
    Damascus : Şam (Sham)
    Jerusalem : Qudüs
    Vienna : Beç
    Alexandria : Iskenderiye
    Cairo : Qahire
    Neuhäusel : Uyvar
    Erlau : Eğri
    Großkirchen : Kanije
    Budapest : Budin
    Aleppo : Haleb
    Bitola : Manastır
    Kharput : Mamuret-el-Aziz
    Sarajevo : Bosnasaray
    Győr : Yanık
    Osijek : Özi
    Chios : Saqiz
    Samos : Sisam
    Heraklion : Qandiye
    Theodosia : Kefe
    Darband : Demirqapu
    Taranto : Otranto
    Khotyn : Hotin
    Tighina : Bender
    Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi : Akkerman
    Rosetta : Rashid
    Şmil : Ismail / Hacidar
    Rousse : Rusçuk
    Drastar : Silistre
    Azov : Azak
    Enikale : Yenikale
    Kaminieck : Kamaniçe
    Alexandropolis : Dedeağaç
    Bakhchysarai : Bağçasaray / Bahçesaray
    Bilohirsk : Karasubazar
    Constanţa : Köstence
    Durres : Dıraç
    Esztergom : Estergon
    Gjirokastër : Ergiri
    Iassy : Yaş
    Ioannina : Yanya
    Komotini : Gümülcine
    Nicosia : Lefkoşe
    Novi Pazar : Yeni Pazar
    Odessa : Hacıbey
    Oradea : Varat
    Pleven : Plevne
    Plovdiv : Filibe
    Sevastopol : Akyar
    Shkodër : İşkodra
    Shtip : Istib
    Simferopol : Akmescit
    Skopje : Usküb
    Szeged : Segedin
    Vlore : Avlonya

Hey tzar are you Turk?:hmmm:

Man it is maybe a pm question because off topic...

I wanted to speak about interesting staff...
    Names included in the program. I would never tell it has something to do with the names of nations and cities. A helpful message indeed..
    Take your spears and swords, arrows of bravery. And like your ancestors, fly to the defence of your Serbian homeland...

Quote Originally Posted by BigWhiteWolf View Post
    Hey tzar are you Turk?:hmmm:
    Well I will not answer this I would leave it as a ?
    Quote Originally Posted by _Maximus_ View Post
    Man it is maybe a pm question because off topic...

I wanted to speak about interesting staff...
    Names included in the program. I would never tell it has something to do with the names of nations and cities. A helpful message indeed..
    My brother I didn't understand you very well, I was just try to make this thread more interesting so people can learn more about Ottomans. Name of cities will be on the language of the faction who is controlling city at the beginning of the Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    My brother I didn't understand you very well, I was just try to make this thread more interesting so people can learn more about Ottomans. Name of cities will be on the language of the faction who is controlling city at the beginning of the Mod.
    I understand and it is interesting indeed. We have in our language some of the Saracen words. And we know a little about them.
    Good thing of faction language which controls the city...
    Take your spears and swords, arrows of bravery. And like your ancestors, fly to the defence of your Serbian homeland...

jimmy spong's Avatar Campidoctor

familiar to me from somewhere i dont know where from , it is ottoman horse archer , at least it says so
    however i think that this type of units is not a big problem they r all familiar

problem is ottomans havent had a professional army until 18 , 19 century so they have different clothing and armors on every picture ,

heres something http://empireottoman.blogspot.com/

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

No one had proffesional army in XIV century. Some parts of the armies were proffesional, usually the mercenary element. But not even all mercenaries were full time proffesionals...

yep , but at least they had national uniforms , french , english , german , polish and spanish armies were far far more organised and in some way you could call them professional . ottoman armies were thousand of spahis and nobles who recruit their armies independently and then sultan calls them to do their duty .
    the ydidnt had any typical uniforms

Matthĉus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

well jimmy Ottoman yeni-ceri were the first army (after Romans) that had uniforms. it were opposite of that you said. and Ottoman armies had clear chain of command (unlike European feudal armies) and were far more disciplined.
    +they were always sober (and that is a big +)
    Last edited by Matthĉus; December 11, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Lack of communication, desire to rule was a big problem of loyalty in Ottoman and Egyptian empire...
    There were a lot of nobles with their army an influence in some region...
    Muslims were killing each other for power without any regrets... It was one of their biggest problems. So they had an army from different part of country, vassal army, and when you gather them in one place, the are very different...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy spong View Post
    problem is ottomans havent had a professional army until 18 , 19 century so they have different clothing and armors on every picture ,

heres something http://empireottoman.blogspot.com/
    My friend you are wrong
    I'll try to explain:
    - In the Classical Ottoman Military Organization, the army was divided into two main parts just like the Roman armies: The Kapikulu Corps and the Eshkinji Provincial Troops. While the Kapikulu Corps served as Palace Regiments (like the Roman Praetorians), the Eshkinjis were consisted of provincial troops and auxiliaries summoned during war time. This organizations was first formed during the 14th century.
    - The Kapikulu Corps were founded by the Grand Vizier Chandarli Kara Halil and Kara Rüstem of Karaman during Murad I’s reign. These corps were the Ottoman version of the Seljuk Ghulam Guards, who were founded by the Abbasids and were in use since the 8th century. “Kapi”, originially used as Kapu, meaned “The Gate” in Turkish but represented the Palace, while “Kapikulu” meant “Palace Guard”. The Kapikulu Corps were the first permanent army of Europe, and they got regular monthly payments called “ulufe” or “mevajib” in three months. The Kapikulu Corps were divided into Kapikulu Infantries and Kapikulu Cavalries; while the size of these corps increased as time passed.

Here you can see description of Yenicheries Corps:
    -The yenicheries wore a white head gear called "Börk", which was some 45 cm. long. Börk were the same in most of the units; however, a smaller version was also worn by some troops. Their uniforms consisted a blue or dark blue dress and a red or yellow robe called "Dolama". The officers had to replace their uniforms two times a year, while the ordinary soldiers replaced once in a year. Boots were red for High-ranked officers and black for low-ranked officers. The uniform of the Solaks and Peyks (elite of the yenicheries) were different than ordinary yenicheries; they wore a yellow uniform and a bronze helmet. The Bostanjis, guards of the Palace, wore a red head gear called "Battara" and a red robe. While in parades, all the yenicheries placed plums and grotesque feathers on their börks
    -So its exactly defined uniform (it is not wild horde wondering around)

To conclude this;

Ottomans had first professional army in Europe (like Matko said -after Romans), and if you add on that organisation of the state(empire) and military skills, that is the reason why they were one of the strongest and bigest empires in medieval times.

as you all know ottomans were ruling conquered lands very fairly in the begining but local commanders and ...uh how do i say it in english you know "pasha" and "beg " they started making their "pashaluks" as almost independent countries and they could sack plunder kill and other things and that created complete anarchy in some parts of ottoman empire . btw the thing that tzar wrote - kapikulu meant "palace guard" . they had uniforms because they were palace guard at first , later they just kept their name. all palace guards in europe had their uniforms ( example : swiss pikemens ) also ottomans didnt wear heavy armor because they were more flexible without it , and their clothing was silk and light armor - pretty fancy ? oh and what do you think why did mongols ( the mad , unorganised , and furious horde and band of butchers they were ) beaten up ottomans so easy . none of the ottoman vassals couldnt help because half of them didnt show up and half of them fleed .thats not the organisation

EDIT : oh and they were sobber because of their religion
    Last edited by jimmy spong; December 12, 2007 at 06:52 AM.

During the 16th century, the total number of Kapikulu guards were 30.000; during the late-16th-17th centuries, the number rose up to 75-80.000 so it wasn't just few units it was an army. You are correct about pashas and aga. Yes they did what they want on their lands but they ware loyal to Sultan.(the biggest empire was the harder was to control it ) They did began to corrupt and decline during the 17th century, but that is out of our mod timeframe.

During the 16th century, the total number of Kapikulu guards were 30.000; during the late-16th-17th centuries, the number rose up to 75-80.000 so it wasn't just few units it was an army.
    yes , i said that they kept their name later only , as so as uniforms. they were army that was the most closer to sultan .one that he controled the most other were some kind of mercs. and locals . janissaries are balkan local army that agas and pashas recruited , and other anatolian persian and arabian cavalry were kind of mercs. and local armies also etc.

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

Jimmy, those stuff you are writing about the ottomans (that they were unruly, lightly armored, disorganized etc...) are common misconceptions about them. Their army was by far the best organized army in the middle ages.

They weren't defeated by mongols (tartars actually) - they lost one battle. In that battle they were commanded by Beyazid, who really wasn't much of a general while on the other side Tartars were commanded by Timur, one of the greatest generals ever.

There are a lot of online resources about battle of Angora - google it... They main reason for their defeat was Beyazid arrogance.