Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Faction - Tsardom of Serbia

Default Faction - Tsardom of Serbia

Tsardom of Serbia

* Срьбьскъo цѣсарьство *

* * * * * * * * * * * UNITS * * * * * * * * * * *

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Shielded Bowmen are the evolution of early Serbian archers. They are primarily archers, but unlike their predecessors they are armed with swords, carry shields for protection, and wear light armour. In battles they act as archers and they can fight melee but are not effective as standard infantry. They are best for weakening the enemy with a rain of arrows and for defending settlements. Historically-speaking, in feudal Serbia there was a class of people called vlasi (vlachs) who were cattle breeders. They had an obligation to provide certain number of soldiers and were archers in Serbian armies. In the famous Battle of Velbužd (1330) they inflicted great losses on Bulgarian army. Here you can see regular and upgraded Shielded Bowmen

Heavy Infantry -Historically, there were free people in high feudalism in Serbia who weren’t meropsi (peasants), but neither had they income enough to buy horses and expensive cavalry equipment (like vlastela). Because of that they became infantry (ordinary called vojnici) and formed a class called vlastelcici, the lowest ranked nobility. These soldiers are covered with mail, have a round shield and are armed with a sword. The unit can be upgraded with better armour and then the soldiers will wear scale and lamellar armour (like on these pictures).

Serbian Speramen-Historically, there were free people in high feudalism in Serbia who weren’t meropsi (peasants), but neither had they enough incomes to buy horses and expensive cavalry equipment (like vlastela). Because of that they became infantry (ordinary called vojnici) and formed a class which was called vlastelcici, the lowest ranked nobility. These soldiers are covered with mail, have a large round shield and are armed with a spear.

Serbian Horsearchers are light missile cavalrymen drawn from various nations popular known as Turcopoles. These cavalrymen are armed with bows and arrows and in close combat they use swords and sabres. For protection they use smaller shields and light armour which allow them higher maneuverability. Historically, they were mercenaries hired from Cumans, Turks, Alans and Tatars and were heavily hired in time of King Milutin (1282-1321). He used them mostly in several civil wars with his brother Dragutin and for special tasks when he couldn’t rely on the Serbian nobility. In 1321 he sent a unit of 2000 Cuman Turcopoles to help Andronicus II to hold his rule in Roman Empire. Here you can see regular and upgraded Horsearchers

Auxilia Cavalry-These horseman, recruited from among the lower nobility, are armed in Byzantine fashion. Their equipment consists from a scale/lemellar loricon, mail protection for arms and legs and an open helmet. They use spears and swords in combat. In a beginning of the 14th century they were seen as heavy calvary but now (in the year 1345), with the development of the plate armour, they should be considered as medium cavalry. Auxilia are a support cavalry for heavier troops like Vlastela; they cannot defeat western style knights in a direct battle but their speed and manoeuverability makes them useful on the battlefield.

Serbian Hussars (Gusari)They are the pinnacle of the light shock cavalry. As the Ottoman Empire advanced further into Europe it was clear that stopping them would have to involve some changes in the military style. Their light and fast horse archers and their hit-and-run tactics proved impossible for heavier western cavalry to counter. For this purpose Gusars were created in Serbia. They are lightly armoured, use light lance as their primary weapon and switch to sabres for melee. Although they are proficient in melee, they shouldn’t be expected to hold out against medium and heavy cavalry. Light cavalry, of course is fair game. They are fast moving and have a good stamina, but they can be unruly and aren’t very fond of discipline...
    In modern Serbian Gusar litteraly means pirate, but in old Serbian it meant aomething like brigand, highwaymen, outlaw often using flamboyant fighting style. After the fall of the Serbian Despotate to the Ottomans, most of the Gusars went to serve Hungarian king. They proved effective so that Hungarian version of the unit was created. Later the concept spread to Poland and most of Europe. (skins – il_duce, model – matko)

Hussars Horse ArchersAlthough most of the Hussars were used as a light shock cavalry, with light lances as their primary weapons, some of them were employed as horse archer. Rest of the equipment is pretty much the same… (skins – il_duce, model – matko)

Last edited by Tzar; January 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Default Re: Faction - Tsardom of Serbia

....to be edited

First post has been edited with units shown in 1st and 2nd preview + some bonus pictures.

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

heh - can you translit for me this - Срьбьскъo цѣсарьство
    i think Sprsko carstvo (on wiki) is bad or?
    thanks
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Methoz View Post
    heh - can you translit for me this - Срьбьскъo цѣсарьство
    i think Sprsko carstvo (on wiki) is bad or?
    thanks
    It goes exactly like that, Srpsko carstvo,

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

well, thanks.... its only info for me...i have some plans for our mod...
    thanks ..
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Icon7 Re: Faction - Tsardom of Serbia

I was reading in topic Banat of Bosnia about civil wars..Have you thought about adding the same for Serbia? I am talking about conflicts in Serbia after the death of Uros the Weak..Here are some info about Nikola Altomanovic and his conflicts with brothers Mrnjavcevic and Lazar Hrebeljanovic : http://www.rastko.org.yu/istorija/zf...tomanovic.html ( site is on serbian)

The_Bulgar_Slayer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Vla_86 View Post
    I was reading in topic Banat of Bosnia about civil wars..Have you thought about adding the same for Serbia? I am talking about conflicts in Serbia after the death of Uros the Weak..Here are some info about Nikola Altomanovic and his conflicts with brothers Mrnjavcevic and Lazar Hrebeljanovic : http://www.rastko.org.yu/istorija/zf...tomanovic.html ( site is on serbian)
    There is the possibility of civil wars for all the factions. In fact, if you want to see what one looks like just play as the Byzantines; they will start out in the middle of a civil war!

Official Byzantine Historian for Tzardoms:Total War

Yes, we will be adding civil wars for Serbia too, but I wont go into details there must be some surprise when you guys start playing

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bulgar_Slayer View Post
    There is the possibility of civil wars for all the factions. In fact, if you want to see what one looks like just play as the Byzantines; they will start out in the middle of a civil war!
    Still I can't play kingdoms on my Pc.because of some strange vanilla version,which doesn't accept any patch,mod or expansion I must by another one..thx for the advice
    Last edited by Vla_86; February 01, 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Has anyone of you guys read book called Medieval Serbia,written by Nebojsa Djuranovic?The writer describes life in medieval times and most of all-army.There are a lot of fotos about Serbian medieval soldiers and knights..Review of the fotos is done by kustos of Belgrade National museum,this could maybe help in making of Serbian army.I`ll try to find this,and post some fotos

Has anyone of you guys read book called Medieval Serbia,written by Nebojsa Djuranovic?The writer describes life in medieval times and most of all-army.There are a lot of fotos about Serbian medieval soldiers and knights..Review of the fotos is done by kustos of Belgrade National museum,this could maybe help in making of Serbian army.I`ll try to find this,and post some fotos
    It'd be nice Vla_86 I'm really wondering about medieval Serbian realm.

I have some books about Serbian medieval realm,but there is not much or none description of army..This book seems to be good,I was reading the review and found out,that the good horse and armour were 45 cows worth
    I'll search the libraries on monday
    Last edited by Vla_86; February 02, 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

since Serbian faction is half done - every information you post will be valuable to us. even the units that we have already shown in first preview will be updated ( new and better equipment, some texture changes). they were done first and since then we improved a lot

Icon9 Re: Faction - Tsardom of Serbia

Well guyz,it seems that I can not find that book I've been in every library here in Belgrade,but I didn't find it..It's sold out,and book isn't printed in large number of copies..If I find something,I'll post it here cheers

Well...about the symbol of Serbia...I'm a little confused...some historic sources mentions it as a white eagle in a red shield (like the symbol of the House of Nemanja)...others as a red eagle in a yellow field...can someone enlighten this to me?what is the historic one? I guess is the red in yellow field since you've chosen it, but why is it the historical one?
    Last edited by CaesarBR; May 09, 2008 at 01:25 PM.

It depends on the age. TTW symbol (double headed eagle on yellow background) is symbol of Tsar Dusan. They're all correct, just depends on the timeframe...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It depends on the age. TTW symbol (double headed eagle on yellow background) is symbol of Tsar Dusan. They're all correct, just depends on the timeframe...
    hmm...do you know what would be the more correct at 1290?

White double-headed eagle on a red background.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    White double-headed eagle on a red background.

Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast