Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction - Republic of Venice

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Faction - Republic of Venice

we decided to follow another concept instead, I'm sure you are aware that there are another two pictures that show appereance of Cretan archers, one fitting early era of Tsardoms and another late era

but still tnx for picture

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Faction - Republic of Venice

Will it be possible to make ships cheaper to build for Venice and giving them stronger ships? This or something similar to demonstrate their naval dominance Genoa should of course have similar benefits.

For the army composition it would be good if you could represent that Venice had to rely on mercenaries most of time. Especially before the 15th century, in the wars against Genoa, Venice always had to hire mercenaries, even English ones, who were somehow available in Northern Italy at the time (don't ask me why, though). This was a bit similar to Carthago, both didn't need troops normally, so they hired mercenaries in the case of war and recruited militia if their home was under threat. Maybe the Republic could field marines, though, who were strong warriors in sea battles (galeotti).

It would be great if the fondaci, Venetian tradeposts, could be implemented in the game as well. As it's not possible to build own buildings in other faction's towns, a fondaco or a smiliar building would perhaps be constructed in your own towns then and give an extra income. It should be destroyed when another faction takes over, apart from the ''Western'' Europeans, who also had fondaci, especially Genoa of course.

There just needs to be a way to reflect Venice's wealth and trade system in the game while also restricting their access to troops (or making them expensive mercenaries). I hope you'll figure it out somehow
    I wrote a term paper for Uni about Venice and the Stato da Mar last month, so I think I could also be able to answer any questions on the Serenissima
    Last edited by Mausolos of Caria; August 02, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12