Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Faction - Kingdom of Hungary

yxc qwert!'s Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Faction-Kingdom of Hungary

I would rather have Germans (don't know how their name in English, in German they are Sachsen) in the game because they were more unique (like HRE units i would suppose).
    REMOVE KEBAB FROM PREMISES

Quote Originally Posted by yxc qwert! View Post
    I would rather have Germans (don't know how their name in English, in German they are Sachsen) in the game because they were more unique (like HRE units i would suppose).
    We can have both. However, the "Saxons" were quite uninvolved in the whole affair of warfare. We have a document from 1224 during King Andrew II's reign which shows that the Saxons only needed to contribute 500 men in battle. Later on, more were pressed into service due to a need to fight the Ottomans, but they didn't go willingly. In 1405 we have Saxon documents where they complain about how the Transylvania voievod was obilging them to go to battle.

The Saxons should be more representative in the economy, maybe through unique buildings like "Saxon Burgs" which could provide a good economic boost to trade.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Saxons you mean. ycxqwert

Saxons were involved in the battle of Rozgony-Rozhanovce 1312. Their infantry decided the battle.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    Saxons you mean. ycxqwert

Saxons were involved in the battle of Rozgony-Rozhanovce 1312. Their infantry decided the battle.
    But even there, they only numbered at most 1,000 men. We probably will have a unit for them, but training will probably be limited, as they never contributed as much militarily as say, the Szecklers.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Well I've been brushing up on my Transylvanian history lately, doing a lot of research, so here it is. At the moment I have largely studied the political make up of Transylvania, but I will update this information in the future. I hope it helps, or if not is at least interesting.

TRANSYLVANIA
    Siebenbürgen, Erdeuelu, Ardeliu, Transsilvania(Ultra Silvum)

The Formation of Transylvania
    The Hungarians had established their rule over the region of Transylvania firmly since 1003AD, when Saint Stephen formed an ispán, or Comes as they were known in the Latin used by the nobility in the time, in the old Roman Apulium (Gyulafehérvár), thus setting up a mirror system of Comitatuses (megyék) managed by Comes (ispáns and foispáns) as was used in Hungary proper, with a few key differences. The fact that Transylvania lay on the far eastern border of the Kingdom of hungary meant that it was subject to the waves of aggresive immigrants from the east like the Cumans, and the Kypchaqs and so on. To accomodate this the Come of the region of Alba (Fehér) was appointed as the over-arching administrator of the region of Transylvania. Until 1193 the term Vajda never appears, and instead this administrator appears to have been reffered to as the ispán. From the founding of the Comes system the ispáns of Szolnok (Doboka) and of Alba allernated between one another as the administrator of Transylvania. This ceased in 1263, when the roles of the Comes of Alba and Szolnok were terminated, along with the gradual reformation of the comitatuses from royal to noble ones. From this point all the Comes of the Comitatuses of Transylvania were subject to the authority of the Vajda, who had the right to appoint them and call local assemblies in which unique Transylvanian laws were passed. These laws had to be affirmed by the King, and could not directly contradict the laws of Hungary proper. The first Vajda is recorded as being Zoltán Erdoelue a relative of King Stephen. By the 14th century the three most imortant people in Transylvanian politics were the Vajda, the Bishop of Transylvania and the Abbot of Kolozsmonostor (outskirt of present day Cluj-Napoca).

The Three Natios
    Due to the Vajda’s right to call Transylvanian asssemblies, the status of land owners varied from that of Hungary proper. Transylvania was administered by an estate system, in which the three separate Natios (classes of nobles) existed, which was different from Hungary propers single class of nobles. A Natio (often translated as estate) was effectively a classification of Comes, and the three Natios of Transylvania were divided into the ethnically Hungarian, Szekler, and Saxon groups. This division was not made on the basis that nobles should represent separate natios because of their race, but was formulated due to logistical reasons. During the time of the formulation of the Natios the Szekler’s chief responsibilty to the Vajda was as border guards, as was the purpose of the recently settled hospite Saxons. Due to these two people’s intitially militant nature, and the fact that the Saxons were considered as newcomers to Transylvania, it was clearly evident that these different group’s inclininations would vary from one another and often contradict the wishes of the Hungarian nobility of central western Transylvania. Therefore, for the purpose of efficiently administering the decisions made by the national assemblies of the Vajda, these separate groups of nobles were divided into individual natios. The formulation of the natios was agradual process, and coincided with the increasing power of thecomes that eventually earnt them Royal status. The first right for nobles to exercise individual rights over their lands originated from the Golden Bulls issued by king Andrew II in 1222 and 1224. The Hungarian Natio was subject to the laws of the Hungarian Kingdom, while the Saxon and Szekler Natios governed themselves largely independantly, electing their own Comes and living under separate laws.

The Division of the Natios
    By 1345 Transylvania was divided into eleven Comitatii. These Comitatii were governed by Comes, who formed the Hungarian Natio of Transylvania. The Szekler Natio and Saxon natio covered areas exempt from the Comitatus system, which were divided into their own seats (Sedes, szék). The Szekler Natio was comprised of the seats of:
    * Udvarhely Seat
    * Csík Seat
    * Aranyos Seat
    * Maros Seat
    * Orbai Seat
    * Sepsi Seat
    * Kézdi Seat
    The Szeklers elected who would represent each Seat, and the seven seats were judiciarily governed by a Come selected by the King, who was given the title of Siculorum Comes (count of the Szeklers). This position was not filled by the Vajda, but was a noble selected from the Hungarian aristocracy by the King known as the lófő. Janos Hunyadi (1441 – 1456) was the first Vajda to attain the position of Siculorum Comes, as did all the “princes” of Transylvania after him.
    The Saxon’s Natio covered the land between Draas (Drăuşeni) and Broos (Orăştie), given to the by the Golden Bull of king Andrew II, in which they exercised both administrative and religious autonomy and obligations towards the kings of Hungary. The territory that was colonized by Saxon hospites covered an area of about 30,000 km˛, which was organised into seats by King Charles 1 of Hungary between 1325 and 1329. Following the Mongol invasion of Transylvania many Tranylvanian towns became heavily fortified towns, a system adopted by the Saxons. Many Saxon towns were defended by Kirchenburgen, or fortified churches with massive walls, the most prevalent seven of which formed the sevens seats of the Saxon lands in Transylvania. The Saxons did not have a direct representative of the King govern them as the Szeklers did, due to their nature as hospites. They were as follows:
    * Bistritz (Bistriţa, Beszterce)
    * Hermannstadt (Sibiu, Nagyszeben)
    * Klausenburg (Cluj-Napoca, Kolozsvár)
    * Kronstadt (Braşov, Brassó)
    * Mediasch (Mediaş, Medgyes)
    * Mühlbach (Sebeş, Szászsebes)
    * Schässburg (Sighişoara, Segesvár)
    The Saxon name for Transylvania; Siebenbürgen roughly translates as seven forts, in reference to these seven fortified twons.
    This map outlines the divisions of the three Natios during this period.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Saxons

--------------

The Szeklers

--------------

The Romanians

--------------

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, 200th post!
    Last edited by \Vazul's Ghost/; May 01, 2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added in information for three natios
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Guys use spoilers for big pictures!!!

P.S.
    \Vazul's Ghost/

Great job!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    P.S.
    \Vazul's Ghost/

Great job!
    No problem, I'll keep updating it as well as my other big post on the County system I made about a month ago, so keep checking up on them if you're interested.

@ Solider: Thats a nice pick but is from the 19th century, way out of mod time frame.

An example of a Hungarian infantry pavise, possibly used by armati infantry:

Late-era armor from Transylvania:

Last edited by Romano-Dacis; May 02, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Very Nice pics Romano Dacis! + Rep for sure. Where did you get those pics if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    Very Nice pics Romano Dacis! + Rep for sure. Where did you get those pics if you don't mind me asking?
    The first armor is from the museum in Cluj/Kolosvar, the second armor is from Bran Castle, though I don't recall its original provenance. The third is from the reproduction company www.medievalart.ro/en, based on armors we have preserved. This is also the provenance of the shield.

http://pics.myarmoury.com/view.html?pavise06.jpg
    ^ The painted pavise of Matthyas Corvinus/Matei Corvin. Why I really like this pavise is because we can find a coat-of-arms that is more contemporary to the scenario of Tsardoms, as opposed to the other one from the 19th century.

Hungarian light cavalry shield, late 15th and 16th century, probably used by hussars.

Hungarian knight being dragged off by a Turkish akinci using lassoe, during Hunyadi's time.

Talk about emberassing...
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; May 03, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

solider! dude this hungarian CoA is from 1867! xD

Well my gaming computer has died on me, and don't ask me why but I had my historical info saved on that computer rather then my work computer, so the info I planned on updating my other two big posts with has gone. it will take me about another month now, not that there's any rush but its a bit frustrating as I also needed for School!

Good luck with the mod guys.

Well, at least these CoA's of Magyarized Romanian nobles from Maramures will cheer you up:
    Mihaly of Apsa (1408):

CoA of Dolha and Petrova/Dolhay and Petrovay (1405):

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    Well, at least these CoA's of Magyarized Romanian nobles from Maramures will cheer you up:
    Mihaly of Apsa (1408):

CoA of Dolha and Petrova/Dolhay and Petrovay (1405):
    They are pretty interesting anyway.

yxc qwert!'s Avatar Centenarius

I don't know about this, but perhaps you could ask Csatádi to use his work in Tsardoms. This would save you time, and you can be sure that it is the best currently avaible TW mod about Hungary.
    REMOVE KEBAB FROM PREMISES

The Kingdom of Hungary during Nagy Lajos (1342-1382)

These maps are quite misleading. First of all Poland was not a part of Hungary, Poland was a separate kingdom ruled by the same king. What is more important, all the offices had to be in Polish hand during the rule of Hungarian king - non Hungarian could occupied any. Also the first map do not represent the state of Polish-Hungarian relationship of 1345y! Hungarian king was crowned for Polish king in year 1370 and held the throne up to 1382. Also the status of Halyhian Ruthenia in years 1370-1385 is not clear. When Ludvik the Hungarian was crowned for Polish king the Halyhian Ruthenia was passed for governing to Polish Noble named Opolczyk. It is hard to say, that it was passed to Hungarian domain. Hungarian king did many to transfer this rich lands from Polish Kingdom to Hungarian, but… In 1385, when Jagiełło - new Polish king with his wife Jadwiga (from Andegaven dynasty) came into Halychian Ruthenia, all castles opened the gate for them, only one castle in Halych had to be taken by force. In general the second map is very strange to me. What the green color represents?

Totally agree with Silesian Noble. Not only was Poland not a part of Hungary, but neither were Wallachia and Moldavia. Moldavia officially broke off from Hungary in 1359 (even before that it existed as a military buffer, like the Banate of Bosnia), I don't even need to mention Wallachia. Wallachia fluctuated slightly from independent to vassal or even ally, and furthermore this was not done through military conquest, but rather by the fact that the Hungarians had decided to give land to Wallachia (mainly talking about Vladislav-Vlaicu). Furthermore, Oltenia was definitely not a part of Hungary, and Severin, Amlas, and Fagaras were given to Wallachia in exchange for "vassality."

It is in fact very unscholarly to design maps like this (incorporating vassals and crown unions). If you redraw the map of Europe on this basis then England would belong to France in the Middle Ages up until the end of the 100 years war. Do you honestly believe this is correct?

BTW I find it kind of funny that Transylvania, a distinct political entities (a voievodship with is own leader and estate) is displayed as a fully incorporated part of Hungary! In reality its relation to Hungary was like Croatia's; it was under a crown union.
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; June 23, 2008 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    BTW I find it kind of funny that Transylvania, a distinct political entities (a voievodship with is own leader and estate) is displayed as a fully incorporated part of Hungary! In reality its relation to Hungary was like Croatia's; it was under a crown union.
    I Agree about the maps, but I believe taht comment about Transylvania is debatable. However I don't have the time now, but maybe some time in the future we could have an educated debate about it? What do you say?
    BTW I'm serious.