Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Cato\Caesar

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Cato\Caesar

"I understood that,friend Co-consul;I am just raising the issue of monitoring our neighborhood as efficiently as possible!Watchtowers will give us all needed intelligence about our neighbors and their intentions at all times.However,to answer to your question,yes;You can use your spies at will."

ooc:Whatever you say we cannot oversee the most important fact;In the first consulate we spawned 31 pages of debate;I will remind you that when we first started we managed to reach 26!!! Keep up the good work,all of you who systematically log in and debate!we can make this incarnation reach the desired potential!
    Last edited by Kritias; January 04, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

ah alright. i misunderstood.
    with that question answered i will be back.
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

Senators, I prefer spies, as they're much more flexible, and the skilled ones see further than a mere tower. Besides, we have cash enough to afford the extra costs.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It would seem we have enough money to do both, nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    It would seem we have enough money to do both, nay?
    Tribune Lepidus, we're at peace and we have a lot of cash. Be sure we have enough money for recruiting several spies.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

"We can a combination of these two;A tower south,close to the landmass of Sicily would reveal us a part of the island and would constantly monitor the city of Messana(I know,I have tried it in the past!).A spy could not succeed in this specific occasion.

So,I would say having lines of watchtowers to keep a constant eye where we need to and a spy or two when we need more information about an army,a city etc Further,spies could be used in war to open the gates of enemy settlements so I believe it is essential to have some in hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs View Post
    "We can a combination of these two;A tower south,close to the landmass of Sicily would reveal us a part of the island and would constantly monitor the city of Messana(I know,I have tried it in the past!).A spy could not succeed in this specific occasion.

So,I would say having lines of watchtowers to keep a constant eye where we need to and a spy or two when we need more information about an army,a city etc Further,spies could be used in war to open the gates of enemy settlements so I believe it is essential to have some in hand..."
    I don't favour a constant line of towers. We could just bring our spies to the border or into the enemy cities for more intelligence; besides, if we ever conquer these regions, then the watchtowers will be useless. A spy, however, can be moved anywhere at any time.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Perhaps a tower to monitor sicily, one to monitor Corsica (if it can reach) and two to watch the north? We could also try one east of Tarentum to monitor Epirus. Then we can send spies out to our closest neighbors, past the watchtower's radii.

Maybe, if we were to monitor the islands beyond us, but even then we could use our navy to bring spies there. Maybe a tower near Sicily, and the rest can be conducted by freshly recruited spies plus our veteran ones.

wasn't the image at the top of page 1 from HBO's Rome?
    Senator Marcus Metella Triaria/Patrician by Blood/Apprentice of Senator Clavdivs Optimvs Decimvs
    Leader of the Praetorian Cohort

Leader of PraetorianCohort
    Senator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

What if they fail in their missions? Do we consistently ferry new ones to the front?

ooc: I don't think the use of spies is up to us, it is actually the Senior Consul's choice.

Yes that is from HBO's Rome. You seem to be posting in here and disrupting us a lot, would you care to join or are you looking for somewhere else?

Can I join this thing?
    Senator Marcus Metella Triaria/Patrician by Blood/Apprentice of Senator Clavdivs Optimvs Decimvs
    Leader of the Praetorian Cohort

Leader of PraetorianCohort
    Senator

"I agree with Lepidus on this matter;Some watchtowers are essential to not only monitor the lands but also the surrounding sea to alert us of any invasion force;However,your argument about the usability of the watchtowers specifically placed to monitor land has persuaded me to your side;No watchtowers for land alone!"

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Yes, if you would like to join please register with a proper roman name on the first page in the "census" thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the questions thread or in a pm to any member.

What if they fail in their missions? Do we consistently ferry new ones to the front?
    Yes, or we just leave them near the cities, rather than try to infiltrate them. This will save many lives, and still get our share of information.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Well you've convinced me. We shall use spies instead of watchtowers.

Again, I think this is the SC choice ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Well you've convinced me. We shall use spies instead of watchtowers.

Again, I think this is the SC choice ultimately.
    Tribune Lepidus, this might serve to limit any tower building plans by the Senate.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

*Amongst the murmers of the senators cato walks in glancing at papperssmiling and knodding every few seconds as the senators watch in curosity*

Ave Seantors of Roma,

I have Gotten Map information and Trade Rights from the following nations:
    Macedon
    Selcuid Empire
    Pergamum
    Ptolimic Empire
    Carthage

These are the riches and Some of the biggest nations of the world.
    I have send spies to scout past the mountains and i found something.. disturbing. A Gallic federation has united under one banner and ar near the greek colony of massilia so close to our mountains and lands i am afriad once they storm the Po Valley it will be hard to get rid of them.

As for you receant arguements over spies and such, i have had a spie see over the cost into sicily to watch over messana and they have become under the king of syracusa i am afraid. Tough i do not have proof i have send a diplomat to sicily and half the island is cartage and half is syracua it looks like.

I will post the Pappers i have received from my spies and Diplomates.
    soon
    Last edited by 68 Powers; January 04, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Powers View Post
    *Amongst the murmers of the senators cato walks in glancing at papperssmiling and knodding every few seconds as the senators watch in curosity*

Ave Seantors of Roma,

I have Gotten Map information and Trade Rights from the following nations:
    Macedon
    Selcuid Empire
    Pergamum
    Ptolimic Empire
    Carthage

These are the riches and Some of the biggest nations of the world.
    I have send spies to scout past the mountains and i found something.. disturbing. A Gallic federation has united under one banner and ar near the greek colony of massilia so close to our mountains and lands i am afriad once they storm the Po Valley it will be hard to get rid of them.

I will post the Pappers i have received from my spies and Diplomates.
    soon
    Please, Consul Cato, keep us updated on any disturbances on our border.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A united Gallic presence on our borders would be a serious threat. This is something that we should keep a tab on. Or two.