Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 Map Previews 1-4

malcolm mcdowell's Avatar Miles

Default Re: 6.0 Map Preview 1 - The British Isles

great map, +rep
    just out of interest, does anyone know what the population of ireland was around that period, compared to say wales, england and scotland? i dont mean to ireland-bash, but is three provinces really necessary? i mean, on a whole european scale, not a huge amount happened in ireland (i think... i gave up history a while ago...), whereas say malta is/was fairly crucial in certain events... just an idea, would welcome any rebuttals...

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

winchester with southampton / portsmouth as port?

only 1 region for the welsh (presumably rebel at start?)

according to:
    http://www.castlewales.com/caernarf.html

whilst there was a small welsh castle there, the town didn't get going until Edward 1 built the castle and associated town, starting in 1283.

generally speaking wales was a rural society in early / mid medieval times, with proto-urban settlements being associated with english attempts at colonisation, and situated next to castles.

according to the BBC website:

In the year AD 1000, there was nowhere in Wales which could be considered to be urban. Yet over the following 300 years scores of towns were founded: Bala, established in 1309, was the last fling of Wales's medieval town creators.

Although towns became central to the economy, townspeople could hardly have been more than 10 per cent of the total population. Cardiff, with perhaps 2,200 inhabitants in 1300, was almost certainly the country's largest town.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/s...dieval01.shtml

So Wales should mainly be represented by a couple of castles initially, which keeps the option of becoming towns later. Having 1 region seems harsh, especially with the known differences between north and south wales. I'd prefer 2, with the southern region represented by Cardiff.

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Lovely! I love it that you skipped the Americas, perhaps you could add a Persian faction?

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Which one?

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

The one on the 1st page .

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Khwarezm?

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Yahooo!! Oh..this makes me very..very happy!!

+1 rep for you guys!!
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Hi Malcolm McDowell,

I think Ireland was not very populated at all, however I think 3 settlements are reasonable since there has to be enough place for a faction.
    Also Ireland's cities have realtively small population compared to others.

Hi Rozanov,
    winchester with southampton / portsmouth as port?

only 1 region for the welsh (presumably rebel at start?)

according to:
    http://www.castlewales.com/caernarf.html

whilst there was a small welsh castle there, the town didn't get going until Edward 1 built the castle and associated town, starting in 1283.
    You're absolutely right and I have already added Winchester and deleted Cardiff.

Hi xeryx,
    Thanks!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

malcolm mcdowell's Avatar Miles

fair enough, thanks for reply. i take it you're not going to add a 4th irish province as requested then...

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Looks lovely, though I think that you should add in the River Forth to central Scotland (that area was actually known as the 'Scottish Sea' because it was so wet and marshy) and add Stirling Castle to defend the main crossing. I think that it was rather more important than Aberdeen in this era. Otherwise, it looks great (you could maybe make Angelsey into a proper island too).

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Is the map a little bigger scale than the vanilla one? It looks like it from the screens.

Hi Zenith Darksea,
    Looks lovely, though I think that you should add in the River Forth to central Scotland (that area was actually known as the 'Scottish Sea' because it was so wet and marshy) and add Stirling Castle to defend the main crossing. I think that it was rather more important than Aberdeen in this era. Otherwise, it looks great (you could maybe make Angelsey into a proper island too).
    Sounds interesting! Though Tommyknocker and I have actually finally decided on Scotland...

Hi Crucifix,
    Is the map a little bigger scale than the vanilla one? It looks like it from the screens.
    Yes, it's defintely bigger!

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Awsome

This is looking awesome. Has KK said anything about an estimated date it would launch? I'm not looking for anything definitive, just a maybe a "couple of months, couple of weeks" kind of answer. Reason why I ask (other than being a standard nuisance) is I plan on going on vacation soon, and I would love to know if I could download it before then. I play Medieval on a laptop afterall .

Hope this isn't too much to ask/I don't get attacked with stones.

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Streen15 View Post
    This is looking awesome. Has KK said anything about an estimated date it would launch? I'm not looking for anything definitive, just a maybe a "couple of months, couple of weeks" kind of answer. Reason why I ask (other than being a standard nuisance) is I plan on going on vacation soon, and I would love to know if I could download it before then. I play Medieval on a laptop afterall .

Hope this isn't too much to ask/I don't get attacked with stones.
    Well I'm going to Africa in less than a month for over 4 months, so hopefully I can get the core map done by then. For the other features of the mod, only KK can estimate (though remember that release dates means even less to modders than they do to developers).

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Hungary could do an overhaul with the map... awful lot of historical problems there...

- major river, Tisza is missing in the east
    - Balaton, largest lake in Europe missing in the West
    - The western border is a bit wong (should be a bit further West into Austria)
    - City names are wrong
    -- 'Budapest' as such didn`t exist until 19th century when the two cities on the each side of the Danube, Buda on the west and Pest on the east side, were joined into one big city. In medieval times, Buda should be more important, but it should be located on the hilly western bank
    - The two other Hungarian starting cities have oddly named in RUMANIAN, yet none of those cities were called such until 1920, with the loss of WW1 Transylvania being ceded to Rumania at Versailles.
    - small glitch : Danube river is animated flowing the opposite way it should.
    - Region names are very dull.

Suggestions :

- Move 'Budapest' to West side of Danube, rename city to 'Buda', rename 'Budapest' region 'Transdanubia'
    - Rename 'Bran' to Gyulafehervar, which is far more historically important settlement, wit historical name, Region name to 'Transylvania'.
    - 'Satu Mare' (=Szatmarnemeti) to be renamed 'Eger', and moved a bit West (ca. position of the 'Balthasar Jakab' the Spy`s starting position in the late campaign), rename Region to 'Hungarian Plains'
    - Add Tisza river (it`s flowing from North/South, a kinda mirror image of the Danube river in the east)
    - Add Lake Balaton
    - Divide current Budapest Region into two. Budapest (-> Transdanubia) should contain areas West of the Danube, while Eger/Hungarian Plains everything between Buda/Transdanubia and Gyulafehervar/Transylvania
    - Move the Western border of Buda/Transdanubia a bit more West; in historic reality, the Austrian/Hungarian border was pretty much the same in the last 1000 years, just a tiny bit east (1, or max 2 tile) of an imiginatory Vienna/Zagreb line.

I`d happily make it BTW.

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Rename Zagreb to Gradec.Same thing as Buda and Pest. Gradec - Kaptol.
    Gradec is more important and is free royal city.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

6.0 Map is going to have the Great Pyramids, right? I'm not sure if this question has already been asked, please excuse if it has...

Hi Kurfürst,

Thanks for the suggestions! Well, Tommyknocker based the map on satellite data, so important lakes like the Balaton are all added.
    There will be also several other changes in hungary.

Hi SonnyWiFi,
    Rename Zagreb to Gradec.Same thing as Buda and Pest. Gradec - Kaptol.
    Gradec is more important and is free royal city.
    But Gradec was called Zagreb in 1094. So I think this name is more appropraite.

Hi wolfslayer,
    6.0 Map is going to have the Great Pyramids, right? I'm not sure if this question has already been asked, please excuse if it has...
    I think yes.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

That's nice, maybe a milkshape modeler could make some little pyramid models for the strat map ;-)