Page 52 of 199 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 3966

Thread: Rome Mod Questions & Recommendations

Default Re: Need Mod Recommendations? Ask Away Here

I've played most the RTW mods, but it's been sometime, and I've forgotten about what most of them implement, plus I don't know about their newer versions.

Anyways, I'm mainly looking for a mod that has pretty much entirely redone the factions, is pretty historically accurate and above all cuts down on the pointless battles which end up making me do hundreds of autocalcs. Basically one in which the computer doesn't just spam armies, especially small ones and the battles actually matter ie. losing an army is a BIG deal.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I say you go for Europa Barbarorum. Much more historically accurate, redone factions with realistic unit names, skins, and features, as well as more historic buildings and constructions. Bridges the gap between effectiveness of barbarians and civilised factions. Armies are slow to come by, and costly to lose. An excellent mod, I believe. The only downside is you need a rather strong computer to make it work to its full potential, and loading times are a little long, but otherwise, it's great.

Primicerius

I'd say EB as well. Every faction is completely redone (all vanilla units were scrapped), it has maxed out the number of units you can have in-game, and is the most historically accurate mod out there.

Unit costs are increased tenfold, so you'll see far less stack spam. But, like Xavier said, you need a good computer, and load times will still be longer than vanilla. Also, don't give up if your first game you end up wallowing in debt at the start, pick an easier faction like Romani, or Carthage. I know I almost uninstalled it after going 70 000 or so in debt in an Arverni campaign, because I hadn't got the hang of the early game campaign map strategy.

And early game is one of the hardest moments in EB. Though it might be easy on RTW vanilla, EB is very very different.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    And early game is one of the hardest moments in EB. Though it might be easy on RTW vanilla, EB is very very different.
    Agreed. No matter what faction I've tried, the first 10 turns seem to decide whether my faction can survive the game or not. Very intense economically and militarily. Especially for the Greeks and Makedonians...

I've never survived once through the first 10 turns. I only ever survived as the Bactrians in RTR. And that was damn hard, I don't ever want to play as the Arche Seleukia.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

WOW, gotta say Im surprised by all the mods the mo... modders have made, many of them look fantastic. Anyways in the department of mods about the lord of the rings books, I´ve looked both of them FATW and LOTRTW, and i cant choose which one would be better, any suggestions guys?

Primicerius

To be honest, LOTR looks great (and is more traditional Tolkien, based on the books, while FATW is after them and more original), but is incomplete (map textures are all weird, some factions are finished). So I would try out FATW and see if you like that one first. There' also Middle Earth TW, but I know nothing about it.

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

Default What Rome mod is the best?

I am searching for a really solid rome mod. i have EB, but it seems to drag on forever. i need a mod that is easy to use, yet has some historical stuff in it. it also must have a larger map then vanilla, and should have good balancing. i'd like a greek mod maybe, but im not sure about any of them.
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Default Re: What Rome mod is the best?

Check the Mod Recommendation Thread. There are a lot of mods recommended there, with reasons as to why each one is good.
    I can recommend IBFD, RTR, RS, XGM.

what is ifbd? and are those really easy to install? i have vista, so it must be compatible
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Senator

well in that case, get RS. really cool. over 30 types of Legionaries, huge unit sizes(standard infantry size is 200 men)(standard cavalry size is 120 men), probably more than 200 cities, income is boosted(my best city produces 14,000 denarii. yes, 14,000. NOT 1,400)
    plus units get new skins, factions like scythia and parthia get more units, Seleucids become dominant in the east(at least in my campaign)and the attack values dramatically increased; instead of a pitiful 19 attack, roman legionaires gat a powerful 76 attack and 48 defense(not just legionaries either; all factions have all units' attack and defence values increased)!

OH and 1 turn recruitment! that means you can get the equivalent of 3 full stacks in around 15 or less turns!

(that is, if you fill up the recruitment queue)

Please use the 'Edit Post' button to avoid double (and triple) posting. Thanks. - Amroth
    Last edited by Amroth; February 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: tp

lol triple post.
    anyway, i think i might get RS then, it sounds pretty good and all.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    lol triple post.
    anyway, i think i might get RS then, it sounds pretty good and all.
    Get RS 1.5 as a placeholder for RS II. Check out their previews! RS II is going to be Epic!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

RS II is going to be pretty good.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucid king View Post
    instead of a pitiful 19 attack, roman legionaires gat a powerful 76 attack and 48 defense(not just legionaries either; all factions have all units' attack and defence values increased)!
    ... So ... if all the units get boosted stats, isn't it not much different from everyone having lower stats? I mean, yeah you have higher numbers, but if everyone has higher numbers, it just means you're dealing with larger calculations, but the results are the same (ie, 19*4=76, so all they did was quadruple the value for everything) ....
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    RS II is going to be pretty good.
    That's a bit of an understatement. RS II will blow the whole of TWC away. (Not literally, just meaning aweing everyone).

Whoosh.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    ... So ... if all the units get boosted stats, isn't it not much different from everyone having lower stats? I mean, yeah you have higher numbers, but if everyone has higher numbers, it just means you're dealing with larger calculations, but the results are the same (ie, 19*4=76, so all they did was quadruple the value for everything) ....
    Higher stats = more flexibility in the differences between unit stats. RS has it so that more units have 20-30 or so more defense points than attack, so battles last much longer (Seleucid King mixed up attack and defense values for the Legionaries). Obviously there are some exceptions (like falxmen), but for the most part, it serves to slow things down in melee combat.

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

I just started playing EB 1.2, and it's amazing. How will RS II compare to it graphically, historically, ai, etc?