Page 5 of 199 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome Mod Questions & Recommendations

Default Re: Trolls

you made me even play vanilla again, the mod is fun, But I was hoping for some trolls, or other big units, any chance they will be in a future version. Also I want to try to make it a part of faction in SPQR for my onw fun.
    Last edited by Davek; January 16, 2008 at 03:04 AM.

Well the purpose of MMS is to give players a chance to take a peek at every great mod without downloading huge files and messing their vanilla games (plus each mod should have equal exposure) so I don't see more units from LotR mods getting in there any time soon.

If you want to add trolls, you will need:
    an entry for descr_mount
    an entry in export_descr_unit
    an entry in export_units
    two entries in descr_model_battle (one for the mount-troll and one for the invisible rider)
    the troll model (you can use anything for the invisible guy)
    the troll textures and the textures of the rider
    the troll UI cards
    AND the troll skeleton - in order to use that you will have to unpack the mod's skeletons and animations, take the troll ones, unpack your game's skels and anims, add the troll ones there and then re-pack. There are guides around here and the .org that definitely explain this process waaay better than I did.
    a recruitment line in export_descr_buildings probably

I think that's all, unless I'm forgetting sth now. If you have any trouble doing that, taking a look at a guide/tutorial will help you a lot - that's why they exist.

Hmm I have found the most one, and I believe most are wordpads so that should not give to much trouble, only the animations, I can't find a program to open the skeleton files.

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

Search for vercingtorix's PAK extractor.
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Default Re: Need Mod Recommendations? Ask Away Here

which mod, except EB, is the most historically accurate?

Primicerius

I'd say RTR. It is Rome: Total Realism, after all.

somehow i feel in rtr most of the work is done for rome, not sure about other factions? what about the extended greek mod? i expect the hellenic nations to be pretty accurate in that one

Hey all I need a mod recommendation,

EB sounds pretty cool, but I hear it slows done the gameplay. How is it slower and how much does it affect the game.

I want more realism than vanilla, but gameplay is still more important to me.

Any other suggestions?

EB slows down the game not the gameplay in my opinion its the best mod

i suggest you try EB and see if you like it, but a fast pc is recommended also try Roma surrectum, and extended greek mod those mods are both awesome

But whats this about 'scripted events'?

and whats Roma surrectum?

yeah EB has a huge script i think 11 mb thats why the loading time are so slow. but if u have a fast connection its no problem to download and try it, you can easily uninstall if you dont like it its entirely modfoldered so it wont mess up your vanilla files. i suggest you try it

roma surrectum is an awesome mod, with named and numbered legions, 0 turn recruitment, but you can also play 1 turn, and it has some of the prettiest skins and map of all mods. check out their screenshot thread

Thanks for the advice, I'm downloading EB now. It looks pretty impressive. Hopefully my computer can run it well...

I'll check out roma surrectum, does it add much other than skins?

no prob

yeah roma surrectum adds a lot of stuff, i think this thread might explain it better then me

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137604

thats the 1.5 release, 2.0 is on the way though thats gonna be awesome from what ive seen in the previews

Unfortunately EB doesn't run well on my computer. I was surprised because I can run med 2 well. Too bad cause it looks pretty cool.

I'll check out roma surrectum tomorow.

get RTR....my first mod which i played and it was perfect....

Busy!!!

Default How does the AI fight its' battles?

In a recent battle I was able to observe an AI controlled legion. It was a shatty mess.

There was absolutely no order to it. It seems like the AI simply said 'Attack' and units ran helter skelter to the closest enemy and attacked. Triaari out in the middle of the battlefield...alone. Single units engaging multiple units. And a General high on Adelphi Gas #9 charging multiple thousands of enemies.

I'm not complaining about the AI.

I'm just wondering if there's a mod or some tweaking I could do to at least make the AI...fight smarter/better. If I could at least make Generals stop charging I consider that a success.

Default Re: How does the AI fight its' battles?

Darth Vader and Sinuhet have made battle AI mods, that improve things to a degree. BUT both have made some assumptions that were recently proved wrong by Red Spot over at the .Org, so you'll be getting some slightly outdated stuff. Not much of a choice really, since they are the only stand-alone Ai mods. Some big mods have custom-tailored AI formations that are based on the works of Sin and DV (I can tell you FATW also utilises the very latest findings of EDU and formations, dunno about the others), but I assume you're looking for a pure AI mod...

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I know this is a pretty nooby question, but I've never played with any mods on any games before, so I just want to ask, what does a mod actually do? Does it:

1. Change the actual game so that it can't be changed back? or
    2. Add some sort of file to the game so that you can play it with the mod and without the mod? or
    3. Make another game parallel to it that you can play without effecting the real game?

depends on the mod most of them is modfoldered i think so that would be #2, the ones that are not overwrite your original files in the main directory, so you have to copy your original installation and install to a copy, so you kind of get #3

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Oh right. Well then can I have some recommendations as to some "Type 3" Mods and a tutorial on how to copy the installation?:hmmm: