Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani Discussion

Default Re: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani Discussion

Moving it out of the (x86) program file and into it's own file seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Tiro

I've revisited every unit's mental stat in export_descr_unit and I noticed few things which might be out of place (or maybe they're correct). I found two units which mental stat is much bigger than units from from their "surrounding". Here they are:

gothic foederati lancer: mental 21,
    steppe spearmen slavs mental 20,

Knowing that biggest mental stat has Sassanid cavalry (gyan avspa mental 23), the first two don't look so elite to so mentally strong (I might be wrong as I can't identify these units in-game).

Tiro

Are there any recommendations how roman legions should look like (what unit types and in what proportions)?

Should there be separate comitatenses and palatina legions or can these units be mixed?

Read up on SBH's guides, can't link right now but it's in the "Anybody up for some multiplayer" thread.
    炸鸡

Tiro

Is it supposed to be so, that almost every siege tower is destroyed by wall towers? Maybe siege towers should have more HP?

And Why do zoroastrian temples converts to paganism (when captured by romans) and not to zoroastism? Or was zoroastrism in roman point of view a pagan religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    Is it supposed to be so, that almost every siege tower is destroyed by wall towers? Maybe siege towers should have more HP?

And Why do zoroastrian temples converts to paganism (when captured by romans) and not to zoroastism? Or was zoroastrism in roman point of view a pagan religion?
    Well you could theoretically destroy those wall towers with Onagers before you actually move in...

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

yes but, ...... sorry First, if you have the onagers ..... then why building siege towers? .......

Perhaps .... is there something I don't know First? ....... Have you some secret siege tactic I should know? Why didn't you tell me anything about this trick? ... we are friends First! Are we not? so... what's the secret? ... speak FGC .... the Inquisition is already on the move ..... talk with me now, before they ..... it's better ....

I usually build sappers, and destroy the adjacent towers with onagers. Usually 2 to 4 sap points. Another good tactic is to destroy some of the walls partially with onagers, so that a large part of the infantry standing on them fall to their deaths.
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; August 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Yes, First also I use always the sappers! I love 'Les Sapeurs de la Garde' .....

But I was wondering about ballistas and siege towers ....

... so my tought was: 'If you have ballistas why to built siege towers?'

... anyway thanks, aslo I use exactly the same tactic ... the Romans are good sappers!

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    This is because both factions share the same building in the export_building_descr.txt file as there was no room in the file for a stand alone zoroastrian building.

Just a quick question: Why are the Jazyges only playable in the 355 campaign? It feels like a waste of a faction slot when seeing their 'Faction Destroyed-Screen' immediately after starting a 361 or 365 campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Just a quick question: Why are the Jazyges only playable in the 355 campaign? It feels like a waste of a faction slot when seeing their 'Faction Destroyed-Screen' immediately after starting a 361 or 365 campaign
    Because as Constantius II had dealt with them sufficiently as to be no longer a viable force.

So their armies got crushed mostly, but they still existed as a people? Wouldn't even a weaker faction have some reason to be included nonetheless. Just to make the Barbarian lands near the Roman border more fragmented and fought over, by both Barbarians and Roman troops? Or would this imbalance the campaign by making e.g. Goths or Quadi too weak?
    Last edited by Xerrop; October 12, 2013 at 03:40 AM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

SAI attempts to portray, with as much historical accuracy as possible within the game limitations, the world of this period. I am afraid thatas a people and a player in Late Roman politics and war, the Iazyges no longer stood on the world-stage, as it were.

No worries, I crushed them all!

@sbh

I'm up for another battle at 6pm your time.
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    SAI attempts to portray, with as much historical accuracy as possible within the game limitations, the world of this period. I am afraid thatas a people and a player in Late Roman politics and war, the Iazyges no longer stood on the world-stage, as it were.
    Well I am asking because the Iazyges are even mentioned in the campaign description:
    From the 365AD-campaign: Valentinian had to contend with the Alemanni and Quadi and Iazyges who were causing great trouble, as well as the Berbers and Gaelic Tribes ... This campaign sees the Alemanni, Quadi and Iazyges causing problems for Valentinian and the Sassanids causing problems for Valens ...

Therefore I expected to have all the named factions as enemy also. My historical knowledge about the era is not that good to start a detailed discussion about the Iazyges. But I have read about them as allies of the Quadi being fought by Valentinian one or two-hundred kilometres beyond the roman danube-border at the 'Limes Sarmatiae' in the 370's. Even when not being a major power anymore they would be a nice addition. Same as the Procopuis-faction that was also just a footnote in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by Xerrop; October 12, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Well I'm afraid they are not. The iazyges mentioned in the campaign description is incorrect. Iazyges units are still recruitable as mercenaries representing that yes they were still around but not as a large tribal faction so not included as one.

There is a comitatensis unit in Gaul, I can't remember the name(it's quite complicated). Anyways, the thing with it is: it doesn't have "good stamina" trait, while all other comitatensis type of units have the trait. But it costs the same amount of money and has the same upkeep.

P.S. I ckecked their name: Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani.
    Last edited by Captain Frye; March 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Guys I need help. I was playing a battle on SAI for the first time, but there seemed to be almost no UI. There was only the map in the top right corner, the units in the bottom and their abilities in the top of the screen. There were no banners indicating my troops and no button to change the battle speed. So I ask, is the game supposed to be this way, or there is an option to change it?

PS: I will try to get an image of it if necessary.

IMO you should take a look into the 'preferences text.' file in the folder of SAJ .... and than change what you don't like ...