Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No docking at friendly ports? Very bad decision.

Default No docking at friendly ports? Very bad decision.

Q: Will my faction’s navy be able to take on repairs at neutral or allied ports?
    A: No. There are a number of issues involved in allowing the player’s warships to enter friendly/neutral ports that don’t really add anything good to gameplay. One of the challenges in Empire will be to maintain a fleet at sea and have sufficient ports around the world to carry out repairs and replacement of lost crew and ships. If you want to do well, you’re going to have to emulate the Royal Navy!
    That was a quote from CA's Q&A. I can not believe CA would do something so stupid. The ability to dock at a friendly port was extremely important during this time. I can not believe CA is leaving this out. I am extremely disappointed in CA's thinking.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: No docking at friendly ports? Very bad decision.

Well CA can't create every possible situation if we want a game in this life time.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah definitely, it takes away from the roleplaying value of having an ally, and all the real benefits.

Now what use will Venice be? Will I invite their little girlish little army to help take on the Ottomans?

I agree with using friendly ports for minor things, but not full refits and crew replenishment or other major repairs

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Why would they offer a role playing feature in a total war title??? destroy Venice! take their settlement for your own!! then you can repair your passing ships...
    Well it is a total war game right..??..?
    I guess the game is being made for an asap release with minimal features, i just hope they implement features in expansions like the RomeTW engine or ETW will be dead within weeks of its release...

During this period one of the main reasons for allainces was for docking. This was very important in places like India.

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Really dissapointed. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not the "ZOMG IM GONNA TAKE OVAH THE HOLE WORLD LOL LOL CONQUEZZST"..

I prefer roleplaying.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

"emulate the Royal Navy"

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Screw this, I'm gonna become a Civ player!

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

think of the BATTLES, the NAVAL BATTLES!!!!

the volley fire, the cavalry charge, the rag doll effects the CARNAGE!!!

think about it

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    Really dissapointed. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not the "ZOMG IM GONNA TAKE OVAH THE HOLE WORLD LOL LOL CONQUEZZST"..

I prefer roleplaying.
    Same here.
    And what's the point of having an alliance with a far away country if you're not even allowed in their ports...

the game is still going to be great though

Of course, you're not supposed to keep your fleet in someone else’s port like all the time, but it would be nice if you could use a port of an ally for a quick repair or something.
    Last edited by Yoram777; December 22, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Ged's Avatar Miles

Meh, CA manages to ignore key parts of history, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

Maybe it will be moddable, but not in the vanilla version. Because i also hate this.

Meh, CA manages to ignore key parts of history, so this doesn't really surprise me.
    Its not just history its a matter of making the game fun. CA developers seem to have a problem in making their recent games fun.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    Its not just history its a matter of making the game fun. CA developers seem to have a problem in making their recent games fun.

Really?
    It was a wise decision in my opinion:
    There are a number of issues involved in allowing the player’s warships to enter friendly/neutral ports that don’t really add anything good to gameplay. One of the challenges in Empire will be to maintain a fleet at sea and have sufficient ports around the world to carry out repairs and replacement of lost crew and ships
    During this period one of the main reasons for allainces was for docking
    Rarely happened.
    For example, in the latter years of the 18th Century, in England, the Chatham Dockyard was very important,but:
    The main focus of the yard's attention was not however shipbuilding, but ship repair and maintenance with Chatham undertaking a large number of 'great' repairs, as the years of almost constant action took its toll on the fleet.
    Merry Christmas
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 24, 2007 at 07:28 AM.

Alliances as a whole have always been a very shallow part of the TW series so this does not surprise me. If you're going to have this kind of "indirect" warfare, with neutral neighbors possibly supporting your enemies by allowing them to dock, you're talking a game way more advanced than what i think we're gonna see.

Alliances as a whole have always been a very shallow part of the TW series so this does not surprise me. If you're going to have this kind of "indirect" warfare, with neutral neighbors possibly supporting your enemies by allowing them to dock, you're talking a game way more advanced than what i think we're gonna see.
    Good point.

I think they should make it so you can stay and repair in your ally's port for 1 turn, but bigger price for repairing and hiring new crew
    Think and learn

just lets hope it is moddelbel the hype arround ingdoms/mtw2 where very big and 2 disappointments i just find fun in the campains treu mods who are really doing a great job dont think CA would make so mush sells if there wernt mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast