Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Descr_Strat tutorial

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Descr_Strat tutorial

Have you tried setting the faction_creator to slave to see if that gives the same behaviour?
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Domesticus

Let me know if you can add the family to be born after the start of the campaign?

If so, what should I put in the value of age?

Example: age -10 (born 10 years after the start of the campaign)?

I would also add the family for each "sub-factions" (rebels), is it possible?

Domesticus

That file "text" I have to change to program the birth of future children of the faction leader or heir?

Let me know!

Thank you!

There is no way to make a child be born after campaign start.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Does anyone know if RTW supports the direction parameter on the character line? i.e.
    Code:
    character Ceasar, named character, male, age 23, x 239, y 127, direction E
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

btw, anybody knows what is the max number for brigand_spawn_value ? is it a percentage?

We have it at 1999 without any problems (brigand armies are extremely rare with that value).

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfHam View Post
    Does anyone know if RTW supports the direction parameter on the character line? i.e.
    Code:
    character Ceasar, named character, male, age 23, x 239, y 127, direction E
    Apparently not, unless I am not doing it correctly.

Woohoo! A four-year-old gave birth. O.O

"It's me, Smeagol."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Uhm I feel a bit embarrassed by asking this , but I'm out of solutions .
    How do I simply alter characters Management,Command and Influence ?
    Without adding traits .

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Recently I bought Rome Total War Collection on Steam and after a while I notice a few changes and below are those changes listed.

For those who want to mod your game and only want to modify the descr_strat.txt file probably need to add this line since it didn't exist before.

That extra line probably explains why CA force us to launch Barbarian Invasion via a game selection popup in Steam.

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign barbarian_invasion
    options bi
    playable
    huns
    goths
    sarmatians
    vandals
    franks
    saxons
    alemanni
    sassanids
    empire_east
    empire_west
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    romano_british
    celts
    burgundii
    lombardi
    roxolani
    ostrogoths
    slavs
    berbers
    empire_east_rebels
    empire_west_rebels
    slave
    end

start_date 363 summer
    end_date 476 summer

marian_reforms_disabled
    rebelling_characters_active
    gladiator_uprising_disabled
    night_battles_enabled
    brigand_spawn_value 10
    pirate_spawn_value 12
    I copy this from the original descr_strat.txt for the Barbarian Invasion expansion in the Rome Total War Collection.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hi,

I don't know if this is in here or I didn't see it, but how would I modify the map, so I would delete all roman factions, make their cities rebel cities, and play as SPQR without being a superfaction, just like a normal faction. I wanna start with Rome only and play against everyone.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Lunnatic View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if this is in here or I didn't see it, but how would I modify the map, so I would delete all roman factions, make their cities rebel cities, and play as SPQR without being a superfaction, just like a normal faction. I wanna start with Rome only and play against everyone.
    Lunnatic, I'm not sure if this is the most "efficient" method, but this might be able to get you started. There are a few mods that have created just 1 Roman faction (I did it a long time ago, turning the Senate into the Julii faction as the "Roman Republic" - unfortunately, I don't remember all the steps), but basically you need to delete/redesign 3 of the Roman factions so that you have 1 left, turning it into the "Senate" faction, without the senate tab or senate offices button being "selectable" as that causes a CTD error without the Senate as the "superfaction".

You will need to do a little "creative rearranging" of how Atilius describes the process for your desired outcome, but his tutorial "Coverting a Roman Faction to a Different Culture" is what you need. Now, if you read it, he actually tells you how to delete the Roman Senate faction, but you have 2 work around options: 1) you keep either the Julii, Brutii, or Scipii faction, and then use a faction changeover tutorial to change all the symbols, banners, icons, and units of the Roman Senate faction to the Roman faction you kept, or 2) you can use Atilius' alternative means of "keeping" the Roman Senate by turning them into the "slavs" (a BI faction), which you can then rename to any Roman faction/name you wish (I did "Roman Republic"). He gives you want you need in his tutorial:

If you'd prefer, you can download the set of files that Makanyane has already modified, renaming "romans_senate" to "slavs" and making it immediately playable. If you do this, you'll need to re-apply some of the changes described in the previous section.
    So, it's possible, it just takes a little work and some creative thinking. That's where I would start. I hope this helps.

Hello there,

This tutorial is done very well, thank you once again!
    I do however have a question.

I'm currently making "Crusader Kings II Total war" mod for Total War: Barbarian Invasion and I did most of the factions (Western Empire - HRE, Berber - Umayyad Caliphate, Franks - France, etc.), and given them their original spawning areas. At this point I am under "construction" of Croatian factions aka. Slavic faction with which I sadly have a problem.

I started by giving them Spalato (Illyricum_et_Dalmatia x 117, y 75), changing it to celtish culture and lowering the town "quality", making the city relatively undeveloped.

In the first try of the game, I did menage to load it, but I was instantly defeated and I realised that it was because I had no faction leader, heir, etc. I took a good look in descr strat and tried myself in scripting.

I came up with those lines -
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    character Ivan, named character, leader, age 30, , x 117, y 75
    traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 2 , GoodTaxman 2 , GoodAdministrator 3 , HatesNomad 1 , Pagan 1
    ancillaries mercenary_captain, mistress, slave_trader, wrestler, witch, musician

army
    unit slavic warlords exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character_record Olga, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 24, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Tato, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 4, alive, never_a_leader
    relative Ivan, Olga, Tato, end

On the attempt to load the game, it crashed (I don't have any logs of the crash sadly). I was trying to sort out the problem and I came up with 2 ideas that could be the problem.

- Small amount of family members
    - Misspelled general units

Once again - My game LOADS when I remove the part with family tree and it's game over, but crashes before the load when the part with family is added into scrip. Any ideas, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

"descr_strat is the file that sets up the world at the start of the campaign, and is generally the one with bugs in if you loop back to campaign select screen after selecting your faction and hitting start campaign."

So one cannot go back to the faction selection screen, after starting a campaign, without causing bugs in the descr_strat?

This would be different compared to Medieval 2. I have issues with CTD in Total War: 1942 after even the smallest changes in this file. And no explanation.

Where can i find the log of a Rome mod?

How do i change years to turn-numbers?

Rome is very annoying compared to Med 2.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    So one cannot go back to the faction selection screen, after starting a campaign, without causing bugs in the descr_strat?
    It's the other way around - some bugs in descr_strat cause the game to go back to the menu screen after you TRY to start the campaign.

This would be different compared to Medieval 2. I have issues with CTD in Total War: 1942 after even the smallest changes in this file. And no explanation.
    RTW's descr_strat is pretty much the same as M2's - IF it's literally any change to the file, do you have an encoding issue? .i.e. caused by the type of text file you're saving it as - or by editing it through something horrible like Word? (same would apply with M2 but I'm not sure how into text editing that you were)

Where can i find the log of a Rome mod?
    Unfortunately there isn't one - the -show_err
    thing explained in the other thread is the closest you get.

How do i change years to turn-numbers?
    Not sure you can - I found an Org archive that seems to imply you can but only in Alexander - bolded that bit in-case someone else can help

Rome is very annoying compared to Med 2.
    I always found it the other way round... RTW I could always figure out in the end - Med 2

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    It's the other way around - some bugs in descr_strat cause the game to go back to the menu screen after you TRY to start the campaign.

RTW's descr_strat is pretty much the same as M2's - IF it's literally any change to the file, do you have an encoding issue? .i.e. caused by the type of text file you're saving it as - or by editing it through something horrible like Word? (same would apply with M2 but I'm not sure how into text editing that you were)

Unfortunately there isn't one - the -show_err
    thing explained in the other thread is the closest you get.

Not sure you can - I found an Org archive that seems to imply you can but only in Alexander - bolded that bit in-case someone else can help

I always found it the other way round... RTW I could always figure out in the end - Med 2
    Ah, then that is an old knowledge and is the same as in Med2.

- I believe the Total War: 1942 mod is using background scripts for 24 turns per year, and in order for it to work console commands were needed - Saloth Sar said something about me needing to exit the game after each started campaign, before starting a new one - in other words i cannot start a campaign, exit - and then go back to the menu and faction selection screen and start another one, as that would cause issues with the script and such.

So i found out that i need to start a campaign, then exit the whole mod/game before starting another faction. As such i won't test multiple factions after any change anymore without restarting the mod between the started campaigns. Seems to work fine now.

Yes, the file descr_strat seemed the same and that is why i got very frustrated because any change i did resulted in a CTD three or two turns in. But now i can play multiple turns because i don't start more than one campaign without exiting first - seems changes doesn't affect the mod badly - but that issue with starting multiple campaigns caused issues with the script i think.

I clicked on the link, will add it to the line.

Ah, Alexander has it i believe - i did some minor modding of Lord of the Rings: Total War including an increase of the factions playable in the hotseat mode. Alexander has lots of features that would have been cool. But apparantly not Hordes. Sucks that CA removed the Horde-function.

Ah, maybe due to what one is used to? I am a veteran with Medieval 2 coding by now. But the differences in Rome i find confusing.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345