Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnic Traits project.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Default Re: Ethnic Traits project.

Quote Originally Posted by Archbaker View Post
    There are several mythical weapons from the AD period of this game. But I do not know of any 'real' weapons like that. I seem to recall Caesar's sword had a name, and I imagine this was not an entirely uncommon thing.

Perhaps religious objects would be more useful as item ancillaries.
    You are right. religious object like wagon or Nerthus that you proposed long ago in temple thread are more important and it have been already add to file which include in ethnic traits module.

Hi Guys,

I looked (briefly) on the web and found that Celtic/North Barbarian warriors often named their weapons. Names seem to be fairly obvious, things like 'Bright Blade' etc. More common was that the sword makers inscribed things on weapons, such as 'So-and-So Made Me'.

I think that in Norse mythology, Thor's hammer was called 'Skull Crusher', so we can guess where these guys were coming from.

Another thing was to have runic inscriptions on weapons that were supposed to act as protective charms in battle.

I think more research is needed for precise names and inscriptions.

I think naming weapons was common in all cultures and that the tendency continues today.

Thor's weapon is certainly one mythical example of this.

Hi Guys,

I just downloaded Suppanut's Ethnic Traits 3.5. But, as I'm not a modder, I just wanted to ask: how do I install/copy the data into XGM?

I also wanted to ask: is the Ethinc Traits module compatible with other RTW games? I mean, can it be imported into the Data folder of other mods? Just wondering . . .

Any simple instructions on how to import the module greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Javolenus View Post
    Hi Guys,

I just downloaded Suppanut's Ethnic Traits 3.5. But, as I'm not a modder, I just wanted to ask: how do I install/copy the data into XGM?

I also wanted to ask: is the Ethinc Traits module compatible with other RTW games? I mean, can it be imported into the Data folder of other mods? Just wondering . . .

Any simple instructions on how to import the module greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
    Install by overwrite "Data" folder from zip file on XGM "Data" folder. This module will work on only XGM since it mod base on XGM's factions. If you are not satisfy with module you can reinstall XGM to turn back to normal.

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

Javolenus,

After you extract the .zip file, open the folder that is extracted. What you want to do is copy the "data" folder thats in the .zip file. Then go into the folder where you installed RTW (ie program files\RTW or whatever it is for your install). And then paste the data folder from Suppanut into the folder in the RTW directory called "xgm". If you do it right your operating system will ask if you want to overwrite the files in the data file that already exists in "xgm". Say yes, and it will overwrite the duplicated files. After that you should be set to go. Sorry if that's confusing, I tend to be poor at giving these sort of instructions...

And regarding whether or not you can use this with other mods or vanilla, the answer is NO. The fact that some of the traits revolve around the mix of factions that are only available in XGM means that if you try it in another mod you'll have some generals getting traits for being in a faction that isn't even present in that mod (ie Saba) because it's using the same faction slot as the one XGM uses. This is assuming your game doesn't crash in the first place because of the completely different set of traits from what it expects.

Edit: Beaten by Suppanut...

Here is version 3.6 with minor bug fix for ancillaries to work correctly on Eastern Kingdom. I release this version early due to these weekend I don't properly online so can't done any great work.

*File has been remove due to new version come out.*
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 29, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Here is new version with only with a few minor description fix and no change for other aspect, just only descriptions fix.

*File have been removed due to released of newer version.*
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 17, 2008 at 03:05 AM.

I will released vesion 3.8 soon with some change on egyptian and nubian as I found that they supposed to be eastern culture from observe settlement view of nile area which show significant eastern culture there. I pospone upload to monday due to I can't upload it from internet cafe.

I want to report a bug in the Ethnic traits:
    Often times rebel generals are Roman, that is they have the Roman trait, often with the Patrician trait et al. as well.

Thanks for report bug.

It cause from rebel are under roman culture group. I have solution and will fix it in version 3.8 that relased in Monday.

Here is version 3.8 with fixing on:

- Now rebel will be outcast no longer roman
    - Description fix
    - Outcast and Rootless fix
    - egyptian and nubian now count as eastern civilized instead of west
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 18, 2008 at 06:16 PM.

Suppanut - you are a machine, turning out quality ideas. I had hoped that the ethnic traits would have been in the latest release - I would download them separately but wasn't sure if DBH had concerns over their stability, or whether he preferred the existing default traits?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Hippias: I expect that Suppanut's traits will be added eventually. I'm holding off to make sure that it is stable enough.

Here is version 3.9A. with update on feature that DimeBagHo add in XGM 5.6.X but this version doesn't have Eastern Kingdom's Temple description due to I can't figure out what DimeBagHo have change in export_buildings.txt of version 5.6.3.
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 18, 2008 at 06:14 PM.

Suppanut,
    I was also wondering about the Anatolian trait. I haven't done any research on it, but it seems a tad strange for it to have Western conversion, since most of Anatolia (except the Greek colonies) would seem to be of Eastern culture, at least at heart, even if ruled by Greeks and Diadochi.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Suppanut,
    I was also wondering about the Anatolian trait. I haven't done any research on it, but it seems a tad strange for it to have Western conversion, since most of Anatolia (except the Greek colonies) would seem to be of Eastern culture, at least at heart, even if ruled by Greeks and Diadochi.
    The Anatolian were very hard to define people. People along the coastal area and western Anatolia have cultural tie with greek but but less western when come to inland area. I will considered about turn anatolian to eastern, please give me some time to check.

Anatolia spend their time in history as swinging trend between east and west. During XGM time frame it in the early middle state of westernization which continue from time of Alexander and grow much more greek/western melt into their eastern heritage from pre-alexander time. So by the XGM time frame we can call them as mildly western leaning than being eastern which become more and more until the rise of Islam. So they fine to be mildly western civilized(called them mild as at full upgrade of the trait they still have only 5% western compare with others which usually full upgrade at 10%) since most of of Anatolian people in game especially in Western and South Anatolia are western leaning except the ones that near to Armenia(Cappadocians and some Paphlagonians) which still hold fair amount of eastern standard and Galatians which are the celts.

Existance of Anatolian for Pontus also to show western influence that slowly engulfed pontus and made them less eastern overtimes.
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 18, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Alright, thanks for doing the research on that.

Here is complete 3.9 version with Eastern kingdom temple description which update what change in 5.6.3 export_buildings.txt.

*File have been removed due to released of new version.*
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 24, 2008 at 08:31 PM.