Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnic Traits project.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Default Re: Ethnic Traits project.

I'm now quite satisfy with all non Eastern kingdom's ethnic. Now problem here is.

1) Do new condition on "coward" trait work? Are they cause CTD in postbattle or enemy turn? If they have problem, please report me along with its symptom and symptom's history?

2) How to Implement Eastern Kingdom? In current condition I just give them marriage/adopt/lesserAdopt only outcast as slave rebel faction but I not yet satisfied. At first I think all there marriage/adopt should be only babylonian and Persian to made them simple but problem is those Berber and Ethiopian which not connected main part of middle east to married with Persian and Babylonian and I also doesn't know specific father in law condition/Stepfather condition to implement their specific marriage conditions. Other way is turn off their marriage/adopt/lesserAdopt option for Eastern Kingdom but increase their fertility rate and allow them to have only male children to keep their pedigree to separated and pure, but could it possible?

Anyone who have knowledge/idea please express your opinion/knowlegde to help me solve these problem.
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 14, 2008 at 07:19 AM.

sounds like a great idea if it can be done. that way when you go to fight each individual kingdom their leader will probably be "johnny of where ever you are fighting them"

I noticed that the new traits' names have an extra space in front of them in-game, so they don't line up with original traits. I figure it's just a text error in the descriptions.

Hi Suppanut and Guys,

Sounds like the ethnic traits idea is developing. And you are right, Gaul (Barbarian) warlords would have had to fight in order to earn respect from their men. In fact, according to the book I read on Vercingetorix, he and his warband were expected to lead the first charge or lose loyalty and respect.

I know this places Gaul/Barbarian leaders in danger, but I think that is how they actually fought.

If, in the game, more Barbarian leaders get killed, will the AI generate more leaders to replace them? I'm presuming that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    I noticed that the new traits' names have an extra space in front of them in-game, so they don't line up with original traits. I figure it's just a text error in the descriptions.
    Here is the fix version. This version just edit only export_VnV.txt by replace spacebar after } with tab in all place and I test it work fine.
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

I just installed it over the newest version of XGM and played a few years into a Pontus campaign. Now I've got an adoptee, who has the traits "anatolian", "celt" and "cappadocian". Is this meant to be? Does this represent a celt who was born in Cappadocia? But celts were not really known for their superb cavalry, so the bonus he does get for being a "cappadocian" seems kind out of place. But I've also got another guy: a "persian anatolian cappadocian". This combination makes a lot more sense, as most of the nobles from cappadocia were persians. And, btw, adding the "persian" trait to the royal line of Pontus would be a good idea too, Mithridates Ktistes himself was a Persian.
    I wis you good luck with this project

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit http://www.HellenicGenocide.org

Primicerius

Well, the celt trait could come from Galatia (in Anatolia), he is in Anatolia, that's where the anatolian trait comes in and then since Galatia and Cappodokia are right by each other... See, it all comes into play. He's either a Celt with lots of Cappocian influence, or vice versa.

Ah well, okay, I guess I can take that
    Firing up a Sabean campaign and playing several turns of it, I saw that the royal line does start without any ethnic trait, then, after a few turns, gain the arabic trait, but the Sabean trait, which my newest adoptee had, is still missing.
    BTW, what exactly are the conditions for those traits to enhance? like from roman to true roman? Are they the same for each ethnicity? Or different?

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit http://www.HellenicGenocide.org

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to add another thought about ethnic traits. I already mentioned about Gaul leaders having to display bravery and even leading the first charge etc.

I also wanted to mention how, in barbarian culture, the sons of a great chieftain or brave leader also had some prestige due to family ties.

Is it possible that sons of proven chiefs/leaders can get bonus traits?

I guess both proven leaders and thier sons would, in reality, achieve loyalty among other warriors.

Anyway, just a thought.

The children of the powerful have some extra influence in all cultures, really.

Whether there should be a specific 'son of a powerful warrior' trait is a matter of taste, but the game does take the father's traits into account when assigning traits to a family member who comes into age.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Erobara View Post
    I just installed it over the newest version of XGM and played a few years into a Pontus campaign. Now I've got an adoptee, who has the traits "anatolian", "celt" and "cappadocian". Is this meant to be? Does this represent a celt who was born in Cappadocia? But celts were not really known for their superb cavalry, so the bonus he does get for being a "cappadocian" seems kind out of place. But I've also got another guy: a "persian anatolian cappadocian". This combination makes a lot more sense, as most of the nobles from cappadocia were persians. And, btw, adding the "persian" trait to the royal line of Pontus would be a good idea too, Mithridates Ktistes himself was a Persian.
    I wis you good luck with this project
    Thank for spot problem. I really have no time to done this by myself. (I even have to time to play it.)

"Celt" should not appear along with "Anatolian". Problem is I set nogoingback level too low when come to ethnic complicate factions like Saba and Pontus. I fix it in new version below.

Ah well, okay, I guess I can take that
    Firing up a Sabean campaign and playing several turns of it, I saw that the royal line does start without any ethnic trait, then, after a few turns, gain the arabic trait, but the Sabean trait, which my newest adoptee had, is still missing.
    BTW, what exactly are the conditions for those traits to enhance? like from roman to true roman? Are they the same for each ethnicity? Or different?
    Every family member should have only one main ethnic and some ethnics were allowed to have one subtribe. Currently I just fix all the problem you reported. Now Saba family will automaticly get sabaean if he is arab and no subtribe yet during beginning or ending of turn. as well as fix some other problem too.

Now it still not work to its full potential due to it need to edit "[rome]/xgm/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt" which DimeBagHo reserve to done it himself. If there are some problem or something strange occur please report me to fix it in this thread.

Here is the new fixed version. Thanks for all your help in bug and error spotting
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 24, 2008 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javolenus View Post
    Hi Guys,

I just wanted to add another thought about ethnic traits. I already mentioned about Gaul leaders having to display bravery and even leading the first charge etc.

I also wanted to mention how, in barbarian culture, the sons of a great chieftain or brave leader also had some prestige due to family ties.

Is it possible that sons of proven chiefs/leaders can get bonus traits?

I guess both proven leaders and thier sons would, in reality, achieve loyalty among other warriors.

Anyway, just a thought.
    Good idea but I have problem on how to implement it. I don't know that condition "FatherTrait" can use beyond when to test "ComingOfAge" or not and I don't know how to name the traits. All we need now is concrete idea about trait you suggest like name, description(and maybe epithet), bonus and further testing on "FatherTrait" condition.

Maybe like this

trait "Son of the Praised One"
    description "He prouds of his father as his father's deed made many others respect him."
    bonus "+1 Influence"

Now I test and found that "FatherTrait" work on many WhenToTest as long as they are father and son so I decide to add these new trait.

¬--------------------

{Son_of_the_Praised_One} Son of the Praised One

{Son_of_the_Praised_One_desc}
    He prouds of his father as his father's deed made many others respect him.

{Son_of_the_Praised_One_effects_desc}
    +1 Influence

¬--------------------

{Son_of_the_Dishonored} Son of the Dishonored

{Son_of_the_Dishonored_desc}
    His father had history of severe dishonor so people look upon him very badly.

{Son_of_the_Dishonored_effects_desc}
    -1 Influence

It will complete soon.

Now new version with father's honor traits is complete. You can download here.
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

That's great. I think it's a cool idea and a really interesting idea in general. Congratulations on good work - I think the ethnic traits will be a popular aspect of the game, which will add more immersion.

I think 'Son of the Honored' and 'Son of the 'Dishonored' works well and sounds right.

It will be interesting to see how the traits develop through generations.

Also, sons of 'dishonored' leaders may have a harder time initially, but through their own efforts and exploits can improve their staus, which I think is realistic.

I've been trying to think of similar traits for Romans and Greeks, but all I can come up with is the concept of 'stoicism', where a commander accepts misfortune manfully without making a big deal. Maybe Roman commanders who desert battles gain a negative trait?

Default Re: Ethnic Traits project - 'weapons traits'

Hi,

I just thought of a variation on ethnic traits relevant to northern barbarian cultures. I think I'm right in saying that some northern barbs believed certain weapons to have magical properties, which gave them a psychological boost in battle.

In mythology this idea is illustrated by Excalibur - King Arthur's sword or the Viking god Thor's war hammer. some Germanic warriors carved runic spells on their weapons, thinking this would improve their battle performance.

I know it's perhaps a bit fanciful, but could a few barb warriors gain a psych bonus for owning a 'special' weapon? This could be quite a rare thing in the game and not overdone.

It's just a thought, so I'm not pushing this idea really.

That's great. I think it's a cool idea and a really interesting idea in general. Congratulations on good work - I think the ethnic traits will be a popular aspect of the game, which will add more immersion.

I think 'Son of the Honored' and 'Son of the 'Dishonored' works well and sounds right.

It will be interesting to see how the traits develop through generations.

Also, sons of 'dishonored' leaders may have a harder time initially, but through their own efforts and exploits can improve their staus, which I think is realistic.
    Thank you.

I've been trying to think of similar traits for Romans and Greeks, but all I can come up with is the concept of 'stoicism', where a commander accepts misfortune manfully without making a big deal. Maybe Roman commanders who desert battles gain a negative trait?
    That is condition for "coward" traits. And Greek's stoicism(along with epicureanism) is already work by DimeBagHo in original XGM.
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 20, 2008 at 03:35 AM.

Hi,

I just thought of a variation on ethnic traits relevant to northern barbarian cultures. I think I'm right in saying that some northern barbs believed certain weapons to have magical properties, which gave them a psychological boost in battle.

In mythology this idea is illustrated by Excalibur - King Arthur's sword or the Viking god Thor's war hammer. some Germanic warriors carved runic spells on their weapons, thinking this would improve their battle performance.

I know it's perhaps a bit fanciful, but could a few barb warriors gain a psych bonus for owning a 'special' weapon? This could be quite a rare thing in the game and not overdone.

It's just a thought, so I'm not pushing this idea really.
    Barbarian, Egyptian and Baktria would already possible to get "Rune Engraver" ancillary through awesome level of temple of forge which based on these concept in current version ethnic traits project as port from temple description job's ancillaries. Eastern kingdom will get it in next version.

It would nice to add famous weapons if you give me the name of those eras as I already add Gandiva and Kodanda from indian epic for Baktria.
    Last edited by Suppanut; January 20, 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Hi Suppanut,

This all sounds good and pretty much what I was thinking of, so you are way ahead of me.

As for names of weapons, I don't really know of any from that period. Maybe someone else knows? Or maybe there's a reference book or a web article? If I find anything of interest I'll let you know.

There are several mythical weapons from the AD period of this game. But I do not know of any 'real' weapons like that. I seem to recall Caesar's sword had a name, and I imagine this was not an entirely uncommon thing.

Perhaps religious objects would be more useful as item ancillaries.