Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit 1.0) Version 6.0

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Re: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit) by Candelarius

In fact it was a little mistake from me, I forgot to delete descr_geography from my med2 data folder. And I do add units to your mod

Thanks to have reply

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    In fact it was a little mistake from me, I forgot to delete descr_geography from my med2 data folder. And I do add units to your mod

Thanks to have reply
    You don't need to unpack the game files to install my mod, actually.
    But there is a hard code limit of 500 units in the EDU, I am at 499 in my mod...I can't imagine how you are adding additional units, but, good luck anyway!

Default Venice Family Tree

Hi Yak,

Is Venice supposed to have a Teutonic Style Family Tree? I realize this is not your doing of course but under descr_sm_factions Venice is listed as having a Teutonic Style family tree. I could not figure out why I had no family tree "button" on the interface then poked around the files and saw this listed. This explains why in a couple of campaigns I saw Venice turn all rebel.. I changed it back and all is normal now..

JW

Default Re: Venice Family Tree

Quote Originally Posted by JWoods View Post
    Hi Yak,

Is Venice supposed to have a Teutonic Style Family Tree? I realize this is not your doing of course but under descr_sm_factions Venice is listed as having a Teutonic Style family tree. I could not figure out why I had no family tree "button" on the interface then poked around the files and saw this listed. This explains why in a couple of campaigns I saw Venice turn all rebel.. I changed it back and all is normal now..

JW
    Somebody didn't read the readme.

It actually is my doing (this is my mod, don't forget ), I changed Venice and the HRE to the Teutonic style family tree, because both Venice and the HRE were elective governments, not hereditary. This was done in the LTC Mod by Lusted, too. I've actually played two campaigns now with this setting and have never once seen Venice, or the HRE, turn entirely rebel, so this report concerns me. They would need to lose every single general (just like any other faction) in order for their faction to turn entirely rebel. Do you have any screenshots of these campaigns? Did the HRE turn entirely rebel? :hmmm:

You don't need to unpack the game files to install my mod, actually.
    But there is a hard code limit of 500 units in the EDU, I am at 499 in my mod...I can't imagine how you are adding additional units, but, good luck anyway!
    I just added gwent raiders for wales and saethwyr

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    I just added gwent raiders for wales and saethwyr
    Wales? But Wales isn't in my mod...

Hi Yak,

Actually I did read the "read me" must have forgotten this item. Yes I did see the HRE go all rebel few weeks back also! Only these 2 factions. I gave them a couple more generals and problem did not happen again so far. They had 5-6 provinces when this happened. Must have been 60-70 turns into the game if I remember. Have not seen any other faction go rebel.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by JWoods View Post
    Hi Yak,

Actually I did read the "read me" must have forgotten this item. Yes I did see the HRE go all rebel few weeks back also! Only these 2 factions. I gave them a couple more generals and problem did not happen again so far. They had 5-6 provinces when this happened. Must have been 60-70 turns into the game if I remember. Have not seen any other faction go rebel.

JW

Hmmm...interesting. I may need to disable the Teutonic feature then. I haven't had anybody else report this problem to me, and I've had a couple hundred downloads since I released the version with this feature (I think, could be more)...

If I get more feedback about this, I'll definately remove the feature, I'd rather have solid gameplay than nifty historical features anyway. Do you have any screenshots of this problem? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to make sure this is really a problem before I spend a couple hours uploading a new version and looking like a jerk for having another patch so soon...

Sorry I did not take screenshots...

JW

Based upon reports I've received from two people now, and also upon Jack Lusted's (from Creative Assembly) confirmation, I've learned that the "teutonic family tree system" that I've included from the Kingdoms Teutonic Campaign, introduces a slight change of faction instability for the HRE and Venice. Basically, the HRE and Venice can go "rebel", the entire faction, more easily with this system than without. This doesn't happen in every campaign, and it seems random, but, it happens enough that I think it needs to be removed.

Therefore, I'm suggesting you replace your descr_sm_factions.txt file, located in your retrofit mod folder, with this replacement file. Just over-write the old with the new. That will remove this problem. HERE is the download link.

I'll make a new version update to the full installer this weekend or next and upload it, so those of you, like me, that keep backups of their mod downloads can have a fully updated version. I'm also going to include a couple special surprises that I've been working on in the next update, too.

I'm waiting for these surprises

And for wales ot's because I'm making a mod that adds all factions from kingdoms (execpt americas faction)

Hey, will this overwrite my save data from retrofit before I installed this? Will it make in inaccessible? And if I manually went into retrofit and unlocked factions manually, will it screw with Medieval in any way? I had a bad CTD related to descr_strat modification a while back, and I don't want a repeat.

Thanks.

I don't have much time, so i haven't started a campaign, but I looked in custom battle roster and I really like the new units. Good job!
    Last edited by Sher Khan; February 08, 2008 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks Mr. Cursed.

No, installing this mod will not make your saved games inaccessible, however, I highly recommend starting a new campaign after you install this mod. Many of the changes require a new campaign to take affect, and I cannot guarantee that your old campaign will be 100% stable...

You do not need to manually unlock all the factions, I already unlocked them for you. But no, if you manually unlock them again, it will not hurt anything.

As I said earlier, I'm planning on releasing a full installer that contains the hotfix I released this week that removed the "teutonic family tree" from Venice and the HRE (due to it causing those factions to become the rebel faction far too easily). I plan on releasing that full installer version this weekend, and, just for fun and to fix a few minor annoyances, I'm including a couple small surprises. Since I'm bored at work right now, I thought I'd go ahead and share with you what those changes will be. Once again, I'm planning on this being the final version of this mod (don't laugh), unless some other bug pops up, that requires me to do this process all over again.

What Is In Version 5.4:
    1. Removed Teutonic Family Tree system from HRE and Venice. They are back to normal now.
    2. Reduced number of Byzantine Firethrower Mercs available in Anatolia, as these should be more rare.
    3. Reduced catapults and mangonels recruitment pools (due to feedback received).
    4. Special Surprises: Added helmets to all Mailed Knights now, to Crusader Sergeants (so they now match their UI card!), Great Cross Sergeants, and, best of all, my own unit, the Sergeant Swordsmen, now also has a helmet! I'm very happy about this last bit, it's been bothering me that the armored sergeants have helmets and the sergeant swordsmen do not. See pics below.

The sergeant swordsmen were previously just the CA baltest_sword model from the unused entry in the modeldb file, but, that model doesn't come with a helmet. I thought it was rather unlikely that a sword equipped professional soldier, like a sergeant, would be able to afford a sword and shield, and full mail halberk, but have no helmet. Kettle helms were extremely popular during the early middle ages, especially with foot soldiers, as they were effective at deflecting downward sword swings from mounted knights (reference: French Medieval Armies by Osprey Publishing). I don't know why this never occured to me before, but, while playing as Sicily this week I recruited a unit of Squires of Tripoli after taking Acre, and it suddenly occured to me: THERE'S MY SERGEANT SWORDSMEN! So, I've reskinned the unit for each faction, so now every faction has a helmeted sword equipped sergeant complete with cool medieval kettle helm. My only gripe is that my Polish and Hungarian Foot Knights lack helmets, instead have only mail coifs, but, alas, I cannot change that. But, at least now the majority of all units in the game now have helmets (the reason this bugs me is that in all my research on this era, nearly everybody wore a helmet into battle. Only mounted knights are shown without helmets [nobody knows why] with mail coifs only, and even that is very rare. Only the most poor pathetic militia would have gone to battle bare headed).

On another note, I had an interesting experience playing as Sicily yesterday, too. I was assaulting Jerusalem with a battering ram, and, as the ram is doing it's work, it created a breach in the door. What happens? Several mounted Muslim warriors from inside the city actually slip through the breach in the door, before it is fully destroyed, and begin attacking my men with the ram! The ram stops working, as more and more men are needed to man the ram...the few mounted warriors are actually stopping me from entering the city with a vastly superior army! I was shocked. Finally, luckily, the ram breaches the gate, and, what floods out? The rest of the mounted warriors! They route my men around the gate, but, fortunately, the rest of my army rushes to the scene and I win the day. But, it was a really unique Total War experience, one of those random little things that really make this game so friggin awesome.

EDIT:

New full installer is available for version 5.4, which includes the latest hotfix, and the following changes:
    1. Removed Teutonic Family Tree system from HRE and Venice. They are back to normal now.
    2. Reduced number of Byzantine Firethrower Mercs available in Anatolia, as these should be more rare.
    3. Reduced catapults and mangonels recruitment pools (due to feedback received).
    4. Special Surprises: Added helmets to all Mailed Knights now, to Crusader Sergeants (so they now match their UI card!), Great Cross Sergeants, and, best of all, my own unit, the Sergeant Swordsmen, now also has a helmet!
    Last edited by Candelarius; February 09, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

As soon as I got kingdoms I enabled the Teutonic family tree for HRE and have played countless games both on vanilla and Retrofit. I've never seen any problems arise from it, I'll be keeping it in until I'm convinced it causes the rebel bug. In my latest campaign however all Poland's lands suddenly went rebel so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyre View Post
    As soon as I got kingdoms I enabled the Teutonic family tree for HRE and have played countless games both on vanilla and Retrofit. I've never seen any problems arise from it, I'll be keeping it in until I'm convinced it causes the rebel bug. In my latest campaign however all Poland's lands suddenly went rebel so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.
    You're welcome to keep it in, but, even Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly confirmed for me that he has also seen this problem in his own LTC mod, so, there is merit to the argument. I've now had three people complain about this, plus I recieved two complaints that people just don't like it, so, I thought it was becoming an unnecessary feature that was causing concern, and felt it was best to remove it.

BTW, there isn't a "problem" really with a faction going rebel, this is how the game is designed if a faction loses all its heirs...and a good strategic tool. But, if it begins to happen often, as some have reported, it is a problem.

Well if people don't like it there you go, I personally think it ads a bit of diversity with the factions (if not much) but regarding the bug, Poland just went rebel in my campaign, family members and all.:hm:

btw your new sergeants are awesome
    Last edited by Tyre; February 09, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

This (and Retrofit) is an outstanding mod! I got tired of playing mods that changed a lot of the core gameplay elements, and ones that were paced a lot slower than the vanilla game. This, however, is exactly what I wanted: the vanilla game plus bug fixes, and Kingdoms units and features. Thank you!!

Three quick questions:

1. Does this include any of the sky or grass textures from Kingdoms?
    2. Is any of the Kingdoms music included?
    3. Are any unnecessary GC units removed, like the ridiculous Elephant Artillery?

If not, is there any way I can add/remove these myself easily.

Quote Originally Posted by BALERI0N View Post
    Three quick questions:

1. Does this include any of the sky or grass textures from Kingdoms?
    2. Is any of the Kingdoms music included?
    3. Are any unnecessary GC units removed, like the ridiculous Elephant Artillery?

If not, is there any way I can add/remove these myself easily.

All the changes are listed in the readme found on the first post of this thread, so, no, no, and no.

I don't feel any of the GC units are unnecessary or rediculous, so I didn't remove any. Yes, you can remove them yourself, but it's probably not easy. I would start by opening export_descr_buildings.txt, do a search for "elephant", and place a ";" at the start of the line, like this:

recruit_pool "Elephants" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { timurids, }

However, I'm not sure how to stop them from appearing in the spawned armies. But, really, how often in the entire GC do you really encounter this unit anyway? Is it really that rediculous to you that you want to remove it?