Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit 1.0) Version 6.0

Default Re: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit) by Candelarius

UPDATE ALERT

I found a typo in the modelsdb file that could be a problem if somebody tried to mod the file (the game only "notices" the typo when the modeldb file is altered in some way, don't ask me why). I took the download links down temporarily while I fix the issue. Should be back up soon. Those that are currently playing are fine as long as you don't try to mod in any new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    I recommend you to contact a good psychiatrist, as your perception is far hypersensitive. Hopefully after few visits you won’t spam such idiotic accusations.
    It's called a joke, I believe. Hypersensitive, thy name is Silesian_Noble.

But, I'll say I'm sorry and I won't post such a thing again.

@Candelarius: Is this the error causing your CTD problem? Can we expend a flood of new units?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJPabs View Post
    @Candelarius: Is this the error causing your CTD problem? Can we expend a flood of new units?
    You betcha!

Turns out I had a missing space (after YOUR UNIT!) after a unit in the modeldb file. When I added the space, the bug suddenly went away...oops. Note to those that are not aware of this saga that SSJ refers to: The crash issue I fixed ONLY occured when one modded the modeldb file. The mod itself still plays fine and is still crash-free. This is a behind the scenes only bug.

Anyway, official press release:

I released yesterday version 4 of this mod, but, alas, today I found an annoying bug (only noticeable if you are modding the modeldb file and the bug only appears if you add or remove an additional unit from that file, therefore, this has no impact on the normal user of this mod) that I want to take out. Therefore, I've taken the version 4 download links down, and will be working on taking out the bug for the next day or two. Good news, the next update which will be out before Sunday will still contain all the goodies I had planned for version 4, but, to make matters better, I found a couple new units and discovered how to add a few more Kingdoms units to the mod without breaking the hardcode limit, so, the next update will contain a few surprises. Sorry for the delay. The current versions people are playing, version 3 and 4 most likely, are completely stable and fine the way they are, so, keep playing to your heart's content. Bad news: The next update will not be save-game compatible. Your current saves will work, but the new strat map faction leader models will only appear if you start a new campaign.

Next update expected by this weekend. I have some unit farming to do, and, since I now have permission from Ornamentum to use their units (thanks), I may be able to add a couple helmeted spear guys to the game (since they added a kettle helm to the game's spearmen). We'll see, depends on how I feel about "going extra-vanilla"...

EDIT: Oh my friggin god, check this out...thanks to the Ornamentum team, I can add helmets to some units! Not sure how many, but, check out this English Armored Sergeant unit (I'm sticking with vanilla textures for consistency):

EDIT: Here are a few more pics:

Mailed knights, now have a friggin Norman style helmet complete with nasal guard, available on second armor upgrade:

Spearmen Militia, now have a helmet, Norman style with nasal guard, available on highest armor upgrade (maybe should be a basinet and not a norman pot helm, but, considering these are militia, they would have had outdated equipment even in the late-game anyway):
    Last edited by Candelarius; January 08, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

In the time of plate armour, instead of maces (which In Polish is called ‘buzdygan’,) like the one from Polish Foot Knights unit in this pack, in reality Polish knights preferred using:
    1. axes:
    2. so called ‘nadziak’ and also 'czekan'

The mace we are talking about was mostly commander attribute which signalized who is in charge of the unit.

I hope that with posting those great pictures of Polish knights the discussion about equipment of Polish Foot Knight is closed now

Posting Osprey scans in the public general forums are not allowed. We know how important the scans are to modders so we do allow it only in the Hosted Modifications Forums.
    Last edited by Trajan; January 10, 2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Removed Osprey scans.

I considered the discussion closed two pages ago....

Okay Silesian, since I'm down for a major update currently, I'll swap the Polish and Hungarian Foot Knights. My Hungarian book specifically mentions maces, and, your pictures specifically show Polish soldiers with axes. I'll just swap them around, it'll be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    I considered the discussion closed two pages ago....

Okay Silesian, since I'm down for a major update currently, I'll swap the Polish and Hungarian Foot Knights. My Hungarian book specifically mentions maces, and, your pictures specifically show Polish soldiers with axes. I'll just swap them around, it'll be easy.
    God bless you mate

I'm thinking of also renaming them. Rather than making them "foot knights", I'm going to name them either "axemen and macemen" or just "sergeants".

Any chance we can have a run-down of what will be in the next update? I'm trying to decide whether to start a new campaign or wait for the next update.

The next update will include everything currently listed in the readme, including the new strat model faction leader models, swapped Hungarian and Polish Foot Knights, copied Gotland Footmen to castle barracks (currently only available from Swordsmith's Guild), helmets for some units (new models courtesy of Ornamentum), and several new units, including Knights of Calatrava for Spain (by unDa), Mounted Calivermen for Scotland, Gwent Raider mercs, Horseboy mercs, and maybe one or two others. That's pretty much it. I expect to have this out by the weekend, no sooner than Thursday, no later than Sunday.

EDIT: This is especially for Silesia Noble:

Polish Foot Knights (Poland - Unused baltest model)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hungarian Foot Knights (Hungary - Unused baltest model)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Candelarius; January 08, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

iobor's Avatar Foederatus

Hi Candelarius!

Are you going to include all the skins from ornamentum?

iobor

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

i'm in my 480 turns on my Campaign VH VH difficulty using this mod, i especially love the descr_mount file & descr_ai_battle tnx 4 that @ Candelarius.

I like the new model unit’s & new strat map faction leader model, too bad you need to start a new campaign, I just cant do that, but if you will add a Stone Fort in your next major update, I wont hesitate to start a new campaign.

PS : my birthday is coming this week pls be so kind to give me + rep as a birthday gift Anyone pls dont be a

Quote Originally Posted by michael01 View Post
    i'm in my 480 turns on my Campaign VH VH difficulty using this mod, i especially love the descr_mount file & descr_ai_battle tnx 4 that @ Candelarius.

I like the new model unit’s & new strat map faction leader model, too bad you need to start a new campaign, I just cant do that, but if you will add a Stone Fort in your next major update, I wont hesitate to start a new campaign.

PS : my birthday is coming this week pls be so kind to give me + rep as a birthday gift Anyone pls dont be a
    Happy birthday.

I have no plans on adding stone forts, because it gives the human player a major advantage over the AI player (AI will not properly capture, garrison, or attack forts).

Quote Originally Posted by iobor View Post
    Hi Candelarius!

Are you going to include all the skins from ornamentum?

iobor
    No, I don't intend on changing any skins at all. I feel the vanilla skins are very nice the way they are. Ornamentum's skins are beautiful, though.

Sorry for potential offtop, but
    Need download link, please...

Of course you need a download link....but as the front page says, the download link is temporarily down for an update. Download link will be up by this weekend.

Those Armoured Sergeants look much better with helmets!
    Perhaps you could add those helmets to crusader sergeants and mercenary spearmen aswell? As far as I know, their mesh has the same shape as the mesh of Armoured Sergeants.

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Those Armoured Sergeants look much better with helmets!
    Perhaps you could add those helmets to crusader sergeants and mercenary spearmen aswell? As far as I know, their mesh has the same shape as the mesh of Armoured Sergeants.

Hmmm, good question, I'll check that idea out!

EDIT: Good news, mercenary spearmen work! Bad news, crusader sergeants do not. See pic below.

Welp folks, the mod is finally all done. I'm going to spend Friday and Saturday testing and then upload Saturday night or early Sunday morning. What I've managed to squeeze in:
    - Copied Gotland Footmen to castle barracks (were previously only available at swordsmith guild)
    - Swapped Polish and Hungarian Foot Knights for historical accuracy
    - Added Pisan and Genoese Sailors Mercs to Outremer
    - Added Irish Squires Mercs to Ireland/Scotland
    - Added Gwent Raiders Mercs to England/Wales
    - Added second armor upgrade to Norse Axemen Mercs
    - Added Mounted Calivermen to Scotland's roster
    - Added Mounted Calivermen Mercs to Ireland/Scotland
    - Added Knights of Calatrava unit to Spain's roster
    - Added kettle helmets to all Armoured Sergeant and Mercenary Sergeant units
    - Added 'norman' helmets to Mailed Knight second armour upgrade
    - Added 'norman' helmets to all Sergeant Spearmen units at final armor upgrade
    - Added new unit cards for Polish and Hungary Foot Knights and new cards for Mounted Calivermen (no longer green).
    - Minor merc pool adjustments (for new units).
    - Fixed all known bugs.

- Surprise! Added four North American units to Aztec unit slots (not recruitable by Aztecs) for custom battle usage.
    - Surprise! When North America is conquered you'll have access to the four North American units (in North America only)...you can even ship them back to Europe!
    - Surprise! North America's settlement is now garrisoned by North American troops (no more Aztecs in Georgia)!

(ignore the Aztec shields on those guys above, I've already changed them to Apachean shields)
    Last edited by Candelarius; January 11, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

UPDATE RELEASED!!!

I've released what I hope to be the final version of this mod, which I've generically named version 5 (fifth patch), which is available for download now. This is the final version of this mod, since there literally is no more available space left to fit another unit in without taking existing units out! I've tried to keep to the original "vanilla" gameplay, and only added a few minor things (besides unit additions) that I think do not unbalance the game or distract from the original vanilla game's focus. The Grand Unit Addon mod for the Retrofit Mod 1.0 now includes approximately 100 new units spread across all factions. I've tested the mod as much as I possibly can and it is 100% crash free and bug free (as far as I can tell), as long as you install it correctly. This mod requires the Retrofit Mod 1.0, installed ontop of a clean unmodded version of Medieval II Kingdoms. See the first page in this thread for the complete updated readme and download link.

NOTE: There is no patch included to bring this up to date, as I changed many files and added so many others, I didn't think a patch that was half the size of the full installer made sense. The new version will also REQUIRE that you restart your current campaign, or start a new one. That's the price you pay for progress! Good news, you shouldn't have to restart your campaign ever again, as I consider this mod to be done done done. Enjoy playing!
    Last edited by Candelarius; January 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Awesome, thanks Candelarius!

One thing I did notice was a lot of purchase/up keep prices were not balanced (to my untrained eye).

For instance Germany’s Zwei Handers were cheaper and has less upkeep than most other hard hitting units so there was really no incentive to build anything else. I ended up easily wiping out all the other nations (H/VH).
    I see this type of unit price/Up keep balance in quite a number of units in retrofit and your mod.

I went though almost all the units and tested them and altered the prices and upkeep based on combat finesse, number of men, weapon/armor, upgradeability, and so forth.

I was wondering if you (or anyone for that matter) would care to look through my changes for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Maledon View Post
    Awesome, thanks Candelarius!

One thing I did notice was a lot of purchase/up keep prices were not balanced (to my untrained eye).
    I used "vanilla" (and Retrofit) prices for everything, actually. I didn't change any stats (or only a few, AFAIK) at all, and I even tried to keep "vanilla" stats and prices for the Kingdoms' units I brought over. The only prices and stats I "made up" were for the totally custom units that I made, like the Knights of Calatrava, Marshall of St John, Polish Foot Knights, etc. I did my own careful balancing and pricing analysist during this process, and I personally am happy with the pricing and unit stats in the mod. But, you are more than welcome to tweak the changes as much as you like.

It's easy to change unit stats and pricing, just open up export_descr_unit.txt, and change these figures (sample below is my Hungarian Foot Knight):

You probably already know all of that (or more than I know), but, I thought others may also appreciate that little chart I whipped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maledon View Post
    For instance Germany’s Zwei Handers were cheaper and has less upkeep than most other hard hitting units so there was really no incentive to build anything else. I ended up easily wiping out all the other nations (H/VH).
    I see this type of unit price/Up keep balance in quite a number of units in retrofit and your mod.

I went though almost all the units and tested them and altered the prices and upkeep based on combat finesse, number of men, weapon/armor, upgradeability, and so forth.

I was wondering if you (or anyone for that matter) would care to look through my changes for feedback.

I appreciate your feedback, and, I'm sure many would like to take a look at your stats and pricing changes. Maybe post your EDU in the Mod Discussion subforum for people to chat about? I personally am going for a "vanilla" game balance (on purpose!), that's the nature of this mod, but, I'm sure your improvements are very well thought out and I definately encourage you to share your work with the community.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Candelarius; January 13, 2008 at 10:05 PM.

Hi Candelarius,

Thanks for the chart, lots of good info there.

I didn't change any stats just buy cost and upkeep cost.

I'm new to the forums - where would I find the "Mod Discussion subforum"?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.