Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit 1.0) Version 6.0

Default Re: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit) by Candelarius

Are there any other download links, this one seems very slow for me and it hasn't worked every time i tried, after about 3/4 of the way through it will say it cannot save or transfer a file.

Quote Originally Posted by CodOfDuty View Post
    Are there any other download links, this one seems very slow for me and it hasn't worked every time i tried, after about 3/4 of the way through it will say it cannot save or transfer a file.

You're the first person to bring this up after about 1000 have successfully downloaded the latest version of the mod so far, and I had about 1000 download the previous versions successfully as well. At this time I do not want to host my mod on numerous sites as it becomes difficult to track the number of downloads and also is a pain to update multiple sites whenever I need to release an update. I've found in the past with my previous mods that 99% of the error reports I get are from people who have downloaded an outdated version of one of my mods from some file host site I forgot to update or someone hosted the mod without my permission. At this time I am only interested, therefore, in hosting my mod on Filefront. Filefront is the leading PC game file hosting site, used daily by millions of users. If the connection is going poorly for you, your local ISP may be having connectivity issues. I would suggest trying the download link late in the evening or during the night when internet activity is less.

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    You're the first person to bring this up after about 1000 have successfully downloaded the latest version of the mod so far, and I had about 1000 download the previous versions successfully as well. At this time I do not want to host my mod on numerous sites as it becomes difficult to track the number of downloads and also is a pain to update multiple sites whenever I need to release an update. I've found in the past with my previous mods that 99% of the error reports I get are from people who have downloaded an outdated version of one of my mods from some file host site I forgot to update or someone hosted the mod without my permission. At this time I am only interested, therefore, in hosting my mod on Filefront. Filefront is the leading PC game file hosting site, used daily by millions of users. If the connection is going poorly for you, your local ISP may be having connectivity issues. I would suggest trying the download link late in the evening or during the night when internet activity is less.
    Thankyou very much, I have recently got a new computer and i had this mod on my old one which i don't exactly remember very well being downloaded, my downlaod speed is usually faster if i tried from a different host.

I think jihad units should be recruitable by islam factions in the holy lands, and therefor its unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptulon View Post
    I think jihad units should be recruitable by islam factions in the holy lands, and therefor its unbalanced.
    No, it is certainly not "therefore unbalanced", that's a giant leap in your logic Neptulon. I actually did give the Islamic factions additional units and mercs to help balance the new Crusader units, such as Ghulams, Dismounted Ghulams, and many others. In addition, the Crusader units have very limited recruitment pools.

Regardless, it doesn't matter, because one can only recruit either faction-specific units or Crusader units based on a settlements number of recruitment slots. Therefore, one can recruit a regular armored sergeant or one can recruit a templar sergeant, for example....it doesn't disrupt the game balance by giving the Western factions more choices, it would only disrupt the game balance if I gave them more recruitment slots.

Im sorry I hurt your feelings that much
    Btw maybe you should write that on the info moore than just "be warned, the Muslim factions have some seriously nasty units, too!"

Btw: Is jerusalem smaller? I just qonquered it and man it got less population than antioch! (I don't got the time to make a research myself)
    Last edited by Neptulon; March 10, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

Im sorry I hurt your feelings that much
    Btw maybe you should write that on the info moore than just "be warned, the Muslim factions have some seriously nasty units, too!"

Btw: Is jerusalem smaller? I just qonquered it and man it got less population than antioch! (I don't got the time to make a research myself)
    No problem, my feelings are hardly hurt, I'm a big boy and can take it...you just seriously annoyed me.

But no, I didn't change any city sizes at all. All the changes in the mod, quite literally, are listed in the readme.
    Last edited by Candelarius; March 10, 2008 at 10:05 AM.

I'm working on an update for this mod, version 5.5, that will be just a small fix for a few issues I've noticed in my current campaign. I just started working on the update and will probably wait for the Kingdoms patch (just in case). If the Kingdoms patch fixes buildable stone forts, I may probably include them, too (I'm still undecided). Here is my current list of changes so far:

1. Minor mercenary pool tweaks in the Holy Land and Egypt.
    2. Fix for Council Mission awards giving Canons of the Holy Sepulchre unit.
    3. Removing the Early Generals Mod. This was a hard decision, but, I've decided to go this route for the following reasons:
    a. It bothers me that the strat map generals do not match the battle map generals.
    b. It bothers me that the generals in the FMV and event pictures, and faction vids, do not look alike.
    c. My mod was supposed to be a unit addon mod, and it bothers me that I've allowed myself to toss in non unit addon stuff.
    d. Sure it's nice in the early era to have early generals, but, when one gets to the late era, ones generals still look out-of-place anyway.

Should I also remove the king character strat map models or leave them? I may leave them and instead give all factions Kingdoms battlemap king models.
    EDIT: I'm going with that option, actually.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Candelarius; March 10, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

I think Kings should stand out from Generals. I would say to keep the King models on the strat map and add them in for battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Annes Revenge View Post
    I think Kings should stand out from Generals. I would say to keep the King models on the strat map and add them in for battles.

Yup, I decided to do just that, it's taken me all night but I got it to work.

My revised change list for 5.5:

3. Removing the Early Generals Mod. This was a hard decision, but, I've decided to go this route for the following reasons:
    a. It bothers me that the strat map generals do not match the battle map generals.
    b. It bothers me that the generals in the FMV and event pictures, and faction vids, do not look alike.
    c. My mod was supposed to be a unit addon mod, and it bothers me that I've allowed myself to toss in non unit addon stuff.
    d. Sure it's nice in the early era to have early generals, but, when one gets to the late era, ones generals still look out-of-place anyway.
    4. Add faction leader battle map models from Kingdoms.
    Last edited by Candelarius; March 10, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

Removing the Early Generals Mod. This was a hard decision, but, I've decided to go this route for the following reasons:
    Just use the early generals strat models. The early generals looks far superior to the vanilla knights, at least maybe for heirs or something.
    Last edited by Tyre; March 11, 2008 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyre View Post
    Just use the early generals strat models. The early generals looks far superior to the vanilla knights, at least maybe for heirs or something.
    Where can I find early generals strat models? I wasn't aware they existed. But, I'm not really going for "looks" with my mod don't forget, I'm trying to keep this project as "low impact" as possible. This is a "vanilla" mod, unlike SS and others.

Where can I find early generals strat models? I wasn't aware they existed. But, I'm not really going for "looks" with my mod don't forget, I'm trying to keep this project as "low impact" as possible. This is a "vanilla" mod, unlike SS and others.
    Here you go mate.

Here you go mate.
    Ahhh, thanks. But, I actually already found this file in the Strat Map Models Reloaded thread awhile ago. The file lacks texture files, so I gave up on it. Do you have the textures for it?

Yes but they are skinned to match my armored generals mod, I can post them if you like or you can always just resize the vanilla early geneals skin and paste it on a strat skin.

Yes but they are skinned to match my armored generals mod, I can post them if you like or you can always just resize the vanilla early geneals skin and paste it on a strat skin.
    I'm not sure how to do that, really...but, again, it sounds like a lot of effort for a direction I really didn't want to go with this mod. People can always add such a thing in themselves if they really hate the vanilla generals.

CAn i have this mod and another AL mod? If so, would you give me a sugestion?

CAn i have this mod and another AL mod? If so, would you give me a sugestion?
    You mean AI mod not AL mod, right?

You can add any AI mod you like, as long as the AI mod only contains AI files and nothing else. Just copy the AI files into the data folder located in the Retromod folder.

I personally have no AI mod suggestions, as I've never met an AI mod that I liked. The AI in the Retrofit Mod is already pretty good and I don't think the other AI mods actually improve anything. They usually feature some sort of "forced diplomacy" component that people think is all wonderful and such because it allows them to have nice long alliances at their leisure. However, this handicaps the AI from having the ability to expand wherever it wants, whereas the human player doesn't suffer from this restriction, thereby making the game easier for the human player...and the AI already needs all the help it can get. This based solely on my exeperience with most of the major AI mods (I'm not mentioning any names on purpose), so, it's entirely up to you.

GReat post, but on the other side its a little irritating when you want to have a hard game without being swarmed, I want the other factions to be smart but not swarming me :S

THankyou anyways, I love your mod

I've completed the Faction Leader enhancement component for this mod and it's ready for the update. I'll release the new update once the Kingdoms patch is out. I'm very happy with the result. I've reverted all generals and captains back to vanilla, but now every faction gains a faction leader unique battlemap figure (they models better match the vanilla generals and captains anyway). All the new models are from Kingdoms, so the mod is still sticking with the theme of this being a very "vanilla" style mod.

I've used the Byzantine emperor model for the Byzantines (obviously), Saladin for the Egyptians, Nur-a-din for the Turks, Eastern Sultan model for the Moors, and the English and Irish king models for all the Christian factions (I split the two models between the Christians about 50/50, for consistency sake). I didn't use the Welsh or Norwegian king models from kingdoms simply because I wanted the Christian factions to have a consistent theme and those two models don't mix in well....plus their ugly. See the sample screenshots below (click spoiler):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here also is my updated 5.5 fix list:

4. Add faction leader battle map models from Kingdoms.
    5. Added new faction color coded textures to the faction leader strat map models (many were still "england red").
    6. Added English Huscarl mercenary unit, available for hire in early era England.
    7. PENDING: Added buildable stone forts from Kingdoms for all factions.
    Last edited by Candelarius; March 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM.